Join Strat-Talk Today

Building A Re-Chargeable DC Power Supply?

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by The Ballzz, Sep 2, 2019.

1. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Hey Folks,

Someone a while back posted about designing/building a rechargeable, battery based power supply for a modest pedal board. I believe he started with a single 12-volt battery and a buck converter. I can't find him or the thread, but I think I'd like to expand on his ideas anyway. I already have a BoxKing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074FWK46G/?tag=strattalk05-20

that works "pretty well" and it is quite liberating not having to run a power cable out to the pedal board. It does however, exhibit a few anomalies that I would like to design around. The whole concept is brilliant, I'm simply looking to make some improvements to the implementation!

Here's a short list of what I'd like to address. Please bear in mind that while I'm not an electronics engineer, I'm a mildly skilled craftsman, with a well equipped shop and pretty OK soldering and fabrication skills.

A) I'd like to have at least one or a couple of 9-volt outputs that are well isolated from the others. I'm not sure how to implement such isolation. Most of the outputs can be fairly happy in parallel.
    B) At least one 18-volt tap would be good.
    C) Having at least one isolated tap be adjustable from say, 7-volts to 9-volts would be important for my true bypass, beefed up wah that can get a bit noisy at 9+ volts.
    I'm kinda hoping that someone here might help me understand the isolation design and how to best regulate and engineer such a unit?

Thanks Folks,
    Gene

2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Just spitballing here but :
    (1) If you messed around with a couple of 9.6 volt laptop batteries, you could effectively have two isolated 9.6 volt power supplies.
    (2) With an additional two more 9.6 laptop batteries, you could put them in series and get 19.2 volts. With voltage regulation, you could get down to 18volts.
    There are probably cheaper commercially available solutions, though.

CB91710 likes this.
  3. The Ballzz

Wellsir,

That is certainly one way to skin this cat. I'm not sure that amount of current is required and size/weight starts to become an issue. I certainly appreciate the though and it opens up my brain to other possibilities!

Thanks Again,
    Gene

4. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Here's another solution--rechargeable 9v batteries & charger. Amazon has a 4 pack plus charger for $22. If you need 18v just run two in series. Pedals don't use a huge amount of power, the ones that take a 9v inside usually have batteries last a really long time unless they get left plugged in (which will drain 'em flat in a day or two). You probably could run 2 or 3 pedals for a couple hours off a single battery.

5. The Ballzz

One great convenience of the BoxKing type of unit is not needing to pull pedals off the board for battery swaps and dealing with all that crap. When the bank needs a charge, you simply plug in it's wall wart and you can even continue to use it while charging! And FWIW, I already have some good, individual, rechargeable batteries. It really sucked when I was on my way out the door to a jam, gig or rehearsal and realized all my batteries needed changed and/or charged!

Thanx 4 Your Thoughts,
    Gene

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.