Building Guitars Rather Than Buying Them

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Geoff06, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Geoff06

Geoff06 Strat-Talker

My dad and I built this full-scale-length, solid body Rickenbacker 325-style guitar back in 2005. I drew out the body shape by hand for making templates and I made a headstock template from a friend's Ric 360, which was graciously loaned to me for that purpose. We used a StewMac through-body maple neck w/ ebony fretboard (manufactured by Carvin, if I'm not mistaken), swamp ash body from a clearance rack at LMI, StewMac Golden Age humbuckers, Gotoh tuners, and Rickenbacker "Oven" knobs. This was my second guitar project, the first being a Strat-style kit.

I love this guitar. Her name is Ashley.

20211116_144025.jpg 20211116_144155.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  2. Boyd L

Boyd L Strat-Talker

My youngest son has similar inclinations. However his are collected currently into a pile of lumber in various condition(s) of finish and tools helping to clutter my garage and shop.
    Play on...:thumb:

Geoff06 and MT Poteet like this.
  3. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

Great job! Looks like it doesn't have a dinky little Rick neck.

Geoff06 likes this.
  4. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Nicely done!
    I've been getting everything I need to set my shop up lately. Most of my player builds have been more about reshaping the bodies and necks to get my designs figured out.
    These are my last two builds. The green one will be getting a Dien neck soon as I just don't care for the one that's on it now.
    20211110_175226.jpg 20211110_175252.jpg 20210515_184949.jpg 20210515_184930.jpg 20210516_222730.jpg 20210503_163516.jpg

Geoff06 likes this.
  5. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

Very nice. Great piece of lumber for the neck. I like the style as it is slightly different and well executed.

Geoff06 likes this.
  6. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Building guitars from scratch makes sense from a sentimental point of view cause you are making something that you can always feel is totally yours and be proud but modding existing guitars makes even more sense cause you have the bulk of the messy work done by the cnc and you just replace and detail the crappy parts with good ones to create a killer axe.....both options are always better than just settle for the stock offerings of the X company and are more fun as a process too...

Seanf2 and Geoff06 like this.
  7. Houdi Elbow

Houdi Elbow Strat-Talker

I have zero diy skills :D

But that Rick style guitar looks the mutts nuts! Great job :thumb:

8. Geoff06

Geoff06 Strat-Talker

Thank you for the kind words, everybody!

I have a strat body that I made from a really nice piece of ash about 10 years ago. It has long been hiding in a closet, waiting for a finish and a neck. Seems like I can never quite justify spending both time and money on that one.

Believer7713 - nice guitars! I especially like the color scheme on the green one! I seem to recall seeing a thread where you mentioned that you painted the pickup covers and knobs. Sweet!

9. Mr Jagsquire

Mr Jagsquire Strat-Talker

I love how that turned out and that you built it with your Dad too: I cheated and bought my Rickenbacker, but I chose it specifically in memory of my Dad as he passed this year. He loved bright red, so I had to get a bright red guitar and they happened to have a limited edition 330 in bright red.

Don't seem to see much about Rickenbackers, even in the 'other guitars' sections of various forums I'm on, but I like that they are a bit different to any of my other guitars...I never see much point having 30 of the same guitar, just in different colour schemes, so I like that it's nothing like my other guitars.

I've only ever 'assembled' guitars so kudos to you both for building it out of the bare wood. :cool:

Geoff06 likes this.
  10. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

I don't have a wood shop or the tools to build from scratch but building from a collection of components has always been as enjoyable as the many mods and upgrades I've done. It's nice to have the skills to do it.

Geoff06 likes this.