Buying a 1971-1974 Stratocaster would appreciate any advice!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Parksie, May 23, 2021.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

He didn't play them in the '60s. :D

Cerb and joesatch like this.
  2. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

you're right he played a Gibson 335

Cerb likes this.
  3. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

And then his CBS strat ruined all other guitars for him :p

RadioFM74 and joesatch like this.
  4. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

That guy could play a broom with a string on it and make it sound good!

5. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Think how good how could have been with a decent guitar! :whistling:

Tguitarfloyd and Cerb like this.
  6. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-O-Master

It`s a 3-bolt (70s re-issue).

Cerb likes this.
  7. Cerb

I've owned 2 three bolt Stratocasters. The first was a 2013 MIJ St-72 and the other is Deathtrap, the 1977 Fender. Both necks perfectly stable and with working micro tilts.

8. kurher

kurher Strat-O-Master

Ok, let me write some reminders that you might find on many other CBS (bashing) threads.
    The 70s was a period of high production numbers for Fender.
    Were there quality control problems? It appears so, but the same can be said for any period.
    I, for one, am not convinced that instruments produced at any time during the company's lifetime are superior. We're talking mass produced modular instruments here not handcrafted masterpieces. Even with today's technology Fenders are still hit and miss.
    CBS, although a corporate giant never consciously tried to lower the quality of the products, on the contrary they tried to increase their consistency.
    The big headstock, 3 "bolt" neck and bullet truss adjusting nut were all Leo Fender's updates on his old design.
    Even the "crappy" die-cast bridge is quite functional until it's worn out.
    If you fancy one of those instruments, I'd say go for it but know what you're buying and make sure it's a proper functional instrument outside the "vintage" bubble created by merchants and wealthy enthusiasts who can't play in tune (or in time) good enough to save their lives.

drp146, ptb1, Parksie and 1 other person like this.
  9. TN703800

TN703800 Strat-Talk Member

I probably have a hard time with 70's Strats because I can't separate them from the garbage the automakers were putting out. The decade had an overall cheesy "junk" vibe about it going on. See if you can squeeze a mood ring out of the seller to sweeten the deal.

Cerb likes this.
  10. Cerb

Parksie, if you're a collector then condition and originality is all that matters. Expect to pay top dollar.

If you're a player and you definitely can't try before you buy, go find a refretted one that shows some serious play wear. Bad guitars don't get played. This philosophy has landed me some awesome guitars that look like crap, but would otherwise have been out of my league.

drp146, ptb1, Thrup'ny Bit and 2 others like this.
  11. Gedster

Gedster Strat-Talker

I reckon you might be onto it Parksie. I hear what the experts are saying here, but they can’t all be crap! You might need to sift through a load of them before you found a keeper, but if you’re not in a hurry...

Those 70’s strats are very affordable out here. I’ve actually noticed a few over the past few weeks going for very reasonable prices. Like, 3K to 4K. There’s been a couple of them turn up on the Vintage Guitars Australia page on FB. There’s a drop dead gorgeous 79 with original hang tags there at the moment for 3.8K. Mind you, it’s the classic case queen that looks like it’s never been played, prolly because it’s crap! Obviously, you’d want to have a good look over it first, but it’s only a couple of hours away from you.

9FE62EF0-B131-44F8-B6F5-0223147EDA48.png

drp146, ptb1 and Parksie like this.
  12. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Well I certainly appreciate nice guitars and I like the idea of every guitar have being special in some way however just for the record I actually play around hour to 2 hours a day.

I hope the makes me more a player than a collector but who knows......

drp146, Tguitarfloyd and Cerb like this.
  13. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

It's for Playing however I do want a guitar that is Vintage.

After everyones comments here I will try a few out in Sydney first before I commit for sure.

drp146, ptb1 and Cerb like this.
  14. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Hey that’s awesome, I wasn’t saying you didn’t play but your posts always seem to be about something holding a value or what’s something worth.

The 70’s strats are definitely a sweet choice but just like others have said, try before you buy. That doesn’t really seem to be a option for you so make sure there’s a return policy

Parksie and Cerb like this.
  15. Cerb

It can still be vintage even if it's been refretted and is a bit worn. It'll just be cheaper and it probably also means that someone else thought it was good enough to use extensively.

16. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Sounds terrible - what a horrible experience!

17. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Cerb, thats good advice.

I actually don't mind a guitar that been well played and worn in.

Bob the builder and Cerb like this.
  18. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

I'll tell you what got me started on this......

A mate of mine recently had the opportunity to buy a olympic white 1970 4 bolt strat for around $9,000 - $10,000.

Ive seen these guitars advertised at starting prices of USD15k.

The olympic white on this guitar hadn't turned Banana yellow like all the others and was in top shape.

So I started looking at guitars I could afford and this lead me to 1972, 1973 strats.

Im not in any hurry and can take the time to play a few before I buy.

Ill also get over top my mates house and give his 1970 a workout as well.

Cerb likes this.
  19. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

No worries matey.

I'm going to take my time with this one and get to test out a few here in Sydney when they come up for sale this way I dont also have the extra cost of freight and I can make sure its a decent player.

Cerb likes this.
  20. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Just laying it here. I love my two. White is 1975 with staggered polepiece pickups (dated '75 - probably some of the LAST going out that way). The Sunburst is an early '76 with flat polepiece pickups which sound almost identical. So take that whole pickup difference with a grain of salt. Both are lower output, vintage style pickups. Both sound great.
    My main gigging guitar is a 1986 AVRI which is a rock. If I didn't have it before these, I'd have really fine tuned one of these and gigged with it instead. For me, the only crappy thing on my 70's Strats are the tuners. And they are still manageable, but if I were to gig with them, I'd probably swap them out. I don't care either way about the bridge. It works fine and it doesn't sound any different than my AVRI vintage style one. People are micro criticizing these 70's Strats. They are really fine. Yes, there are probably poorly setup and some loose neck pockets, but overall, it's still a Strat! Just don't overpay unless you are in "lust". LOL

Attached Files: