Buying a 1971-1974 Stratocaster would appreciate any advice!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Parksie, May 23, 2021.

1. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

3 bolt Strat is a absolutely mandatory hands on purchase.

I have a 76 hardtail that is a lightweight tone monster. I had a 74 that was literally such a POS I gave it to a good friends son.

A great one is magical tho and well worth the quest.

Good luck!

CAR63, Cerb and Parksie like this.
  2. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

Blackmore choosed 70s for his certain reasons - and he was only aming at the "right" neck that had the right "feeling". It was his tech´s that picked out potential guitars in the shops, and those he liked, they glued the neck to the body to make it more rigid. Blackmore had/has a lot of 70s Strats - but only a few has been his master Strats during all these years. The later years he has mostly used his ´77.

Cerb and Ebidis like this.
  3. kjatexas

kjatexas Strat-Talker

Don't like the 3 piece body.

4. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

When it comes to prices I know, and I see how the prices for a 70s Strat has increased during the last years - and still increasing.
    It still seems to be kind of a divide at 75<->76, the earlier ones "naturally" more expencive than the newer ones.

As added info regarding prices, I payed 1400,- to 1450,- Euro (depending on the exchange rate) for this ´79:
    https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/ngd-79-stratocaster.563472/

Parksie and Cerb like this.
  5. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

6. Cerb

That looks like a kick a** guitar! Congratulations!

ptb1 likes this.
  7. Cerb

This mess cost me 820€ 4 years ago. Except the frets, volume pot and rewound neck pup it's original. Cosmetically beat up bit a great player, the last guitar I'd ever sell.

IMG_20210525_145439.jpg

8. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Have you played one? When you do a) you can't see the truss rod hole but more importantly b) you'll find they play so well you forgive them...:thumb:

Cerb likes this.
  9. Old Tone

Old Tone New Member!

Partsie: Pure and simple, a 70's Strat is a "tweener", sandwiched between the Leo years and the William Schultz era. Gone were the labor intensive multi-layer lacquer finishes, cloth wiring, hand wound pickups, high strength steel bridges, heel truss rods, etc.. Hello to the 3-bolt neck, which will wiggle slightly, in the neck pocket, simply by grabbing the head, while holding onto the body and applying a minor amount of force! These are facts and impossible to argue as benefits.

However, I can say, objectively, (as I still own Strats from each of these era's and play out weekly), that my '73 is the most "Straty-sounding" one in the bunch and has held up like a champ since I bought it second hand in 1978. The "quack" is undeniable and perhaps it's just mine, but the neck pickup setting is the purest, most "un-muddy" clear tone as I've ever played. Yes, it is all original.

In short, my experience is that if an all original early '70's Strat is available, for less than a new comparable Custom Shop, I give it a huge thumbs up. The old vibe is in there, which is impossible to equate. I own Custom Shops and they are GREAT, but for some reason the individual mojo feedback you get from a 48 year old guitar further inspires the playing experience.

Thanks for reading.

drp146, hrstrat57 and Parksie like this.
  10. Cerb

Never. I don't touch guitars with naked truss rod holes ;)

I've played a lot of other strats, including some CS Fenders. I've never liked one better than my 1977 Strat.

RadioFM74 and Old Tone like this.
  11. nutball73

Off topic, I know. I've played a lot of Custom Shop strats and none play better than my partscaster. But every single Suhr I've ever played beat every single Fender I've played hands down. They really are worth a try, just make sure your wallet is full when you do. My partscaster still wins, but if I didn't have it I know what I'd be buying!

Cerb likes this.
  12. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Thanks mate for providing your experience and insight!

Your 73 sounds amazing.

I really don’t want to buy a custom shop guitar as these days they seem to be really common. I would prefer to find an original early 70’s guitar in good shape.

I’m not in any particular hurry and will take the time to wait for the right one to come up also at the right price.

Cheers.

RadioFM74, Cerb and ptb1 like this.
  13. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

^ When you dream of an early original 70s - go for your dream, no matter what "everybody tells ;).

Why did I buy an original 70s when I already had the AVRI and two MIM 70s Classic?
    Simply just cause I wanted one.

But, the advice - as many already have written - check it out (if possible) before buying.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Parksie and Cerb like this.
  14. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-O-Master

You're right about the reaming for the repro tuners - I remember doing that now. I don't regard that as a big deal on a 74 - its not a 64 or a 54! You're wrong about the other points though:D

Cerb likes this.
  15. gogaterz

gogaterz Strat-Talk Member

For that kind of money you better be willing to tear it apart to make sure everything is legit. Other wise, like "kurher" said, get a nice Custom Shop with exactly what you want.

Parksie likes this.
  16. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

Don’t overlook 76 Strats, again hands on required but gems can be found! This one would be a nice get imho!

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    trevanorak likes this.
  17. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

Gotta love those conventional wisdoms, slagging 70's strats among them. I was a teen-ager back then, hanging around the music shops until they threw me out. They were fine guitars. That was basically crap spread around by rock-stars in Guitar Player Magazine who owned 56's and 63's and everybody bought into it. Fenders were never perfect or consistent and quality control was always dodgy until the mid 80's when you could be confident you'd get a consistently mediocre guitar every time. I have a 95 strat and it's easily my least favorite. No rule says you have to use the tone robbing micro-tilt - Fender still uses that stupid thing to this day - and the zinc bridges didn't come until about 76 or 77, but you said early 70's. Even so, a good steel bridge is a cost effective and totally reversible mod. Also 80's and 90's strats had zinc blocks. As for the pickups, the reason so many replaced them was basically for one reason -suddenly we could! It was the 70's, man! DiMarzio and others just popped up, fixing a problem we never actually knew we had, plus hotter meant better then and guitar players are an experimental lot. If DiMarzio and Duncan came along in '60 or '65 we'd have been doing the same exact thing. YES! go get it if you have the money!

Old Tone, Parksie, ptb1 and 1 other person like this.
  18. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talker Silver Member

My first brand new guitar was a '72 strat in black. It was pretty good but, nothing special. The quality control at Fender was really hit or miss in the '70s. If you can get one for a reasonable price, go for it. But I wouldn't spend more than $2000 on one.

Cerb likes this.
  19. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Zinc bridges came out as early as 71.

Slartybartfast and Cerb like this.
  20. nutball73

They must have kept all the good ones in the USA then, 'cos the ones we got in the UK were crap...

Slartybartfast and Thrup'ny Bit like this.