Buying a 1971-1974 Stratocaster would appreciate any advice!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Parksie, May 23, 2021.

1. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-O-Master

^ Not too many though, since you seems to know them all:D

2. Michael919

Michael919 Most Honored Senior Member

Side note: Is there a Strat Talk stat for "replies per thread posted"?

It seems, Parksie, that you have a real knack for starting threads that go for pages and pages.

Good luck with the shopping!

3. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Slarty you do make a very good point about a lot of people tinkering with their guitars in the early to mid 70's.

In a lot of cases if you hadn't swapped out the original pickup you were considered uncool!

Also, I guess way back then it probably didn't cost a lot to purchase a new Stratocaster and so modding the guitar was a no brainer and also nobody even thought about Vintage guitars in the early 70's as there wasn't any.

I was also beginning my teenage years in the early 70's and I have very fond memories of those early days and this is no doubt still resonating with me and my search for an original early 70's strat.

Slartybartfast, hrstrat57 and ptb1 like this.
  4. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

I wish!

If I could pick one up for $2,000.00 I'd be very happy.

I'll let you know how I go.

5. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Haha!

Well its great that we are all communicating and enjoying our passion.

BTW, I just checked and the infamous 'Did I just get ripped of thread' went for 18 pages.

From memory it had over 10,000 views and had over 300 comments.

Not sure if it set any records on Strat-Talk but it was certainly a monumental thread!

6. kurher

kurher Strat-O-Master

Care to elaborate?

7. nomadh

nomadh Strat-Talker

I got to play a very nice 70s strat on loan to buy. Natural ash w maple neck. It was a beauty. It played good and sounded good. Probably worth about 2k at that time. It was my dream guitar for 30 years but in the end I skipped it. I had just got an sx ash strat that was beautiful also played great. Had a flame maple neck was only $200 and it was light. The fender weighed a ton.
    The sx could use a new block and possibly pickups but it's really great. Bottom line, some of those fenders can be great but possibly most of them had issues. And for the crazy price they ask now? If you find one for $600 check it out otherwise keep looking.

nutball73 and Parksie like this.
  8. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talker

I also have a '76 hardtail I bought in 1979 , only mine is NOT light . I used it in rotation with 2 other older Strats when I was in a working band in the '70s and '80s . It was , and still is a great guitar , outside of the weight ( about 9 # ) . Has a nice tight neck joint , but I did change pups a few times , and put on brass bridge pieces . But like others said , Strats of that era are not known to be magical by any means . Unless you have your heart set on one , a newer one could be a great guitar too , and probably cheaper .

Parksie likes this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I often wondered if we got all the rejects, because most really were that bad.

Cerb and nutball73 like this.
  10. Gedster

Gedster Strat-Talker

From memory, (and it’s suffered a lot of abuse over the years!), a Strat was always $1000 over here for as long as I can recall, (late 70’s). I mate of mine paid $600 in a pawn shop in Fortitude Valley for a Jaguar in about 83, and that was the cheapest Fender I’d ever heard of. I paid $1000 in 87 for a gorgeous 66 Tele and flipped it 2 years later (when I moved out to the bush with no electricity.... clown) to Steve Jackson’s Rare Guitars in Annandale for the same $1000. That was a long time before the internet and I certainly had no notion of the value of pre CBS Fenders at that point in time - (been kicking myself ever since!), and I’m not sure that many people outside the guitar trade did know or understand that, at that point. Steve Jackson did I’m sure!

Here ya go. This might be as close as your gonna get for a coupla grand! It’s got more strife than a pregnant nun!, so it’s already been as devalued as your likely to get, and so your not paying (much) for the collectibility factor. No doubt it was assembled from bits of worthless, virtually unplayable QA disasters but, who knows.... It’s been around for a few weeks now so it might be getting cheaper by the minute. If it plays ok and you could get it closer to 2K.... View attachment 482251 View attachment 482252 34FBF1A8-E6AF-49FF-8727-BE174985472E.png

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coo...tage-70-s-stratocaster-not-reissue/1273281638

Attached Files:

Parksie likes this.
  11. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Kurher Ive just spotted this one - its a 74' and the asking price is just over USD4K.

Here are a couple of pics.

Would welcome your or any other comments and opinions on this one.

00b0b_6wCfif9p6Siz_0ew0jm_1200x900.jpg 00A0A_djaQLLjCtSCz_0ew0jm_1200x900.jpg 00a0a_eOupIRkeY9bz_0ew0jm_1200x900.jpg 00c0c_bHOnkKTKKx7z_08X0jm_1200x900.jpg

Cerb likes this.
  12. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Yes.

13. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Someone really likes maple fretboards. I do too.

14. Old Tone

Old Tone New Member!

Wow did Slarty hit the nail on the head! As an old dude who also hung out regularly in music shops in the 70's, I can say objectively that Slarty speaks like a person who was actually there. Valuable info for a person(s) considering an early 70's Strat.

He is dead on regarding how swapping pickups was in it's infancy back then and became all of the rage. Dimarzio had a major share of the mod-business back then. You also saw a lot of Gibson p/u's that were being chain-sawed into the body, whose suspect work, was conveniently hid by the large Strat or Tele pickguard. It seemed people were more concerned with "volume", (or hotter as Slarty said) as opposed to tone back then. More of a reason for those with "conventional wisdom" to dog '70's Strats.

So for those who don't have a room full of '55's and '61's laying around, or can't afford a 5 figure price tag, I highly advise taking a good look into one. '70's Strat's are a great ability for those who want to acquire a true vintage instrument, for far less than one that would fetch twice(+) the price. In addition to playability, there are fundamentally 2 things to be aware of when looking: Weight and chain-saw surgery. For comfort, you would be best by limiting the weight to less than 7 1/2 pounds (for a tremelo equipped Strat). For surgery, take a phillips head screwdriver and look under the pickguard, to make sure no one tried rotating a humbucker into the mix. That pickguard can hide a lot of mistakes. If you have any woodworking skills, repairs to surgery mistakes can be done, but can be used to negotiate the price down. Take it from me, I've actually participated in blindfold tests with numerous 70's Strats. The "good ones" vs. the "bad ones" were virtually indistinguishable, especially as the listener.

Parksie: I Hope you can score on the '74 burst! If you love Strat's, you'll love that one!

Slartybartfast, Parksie and Cerb like this.
  15. kurher

kurher Strat-O-Master

From the available pictures (more detailed ones required incl. neck heel and under the hood) I can say it looks good. Replacement nut and selector switch (original included).
    If it's a '74, it must be a late one as it has flat polepieces (could also be a'75 or'76).
    However, 4k is a lot. You could get a nice handmade instrument with that kind of money in my neck of the woods.

hrstrat57, Parksie and Cerb like this.
  16. crankit

crankit Strat-Talk Member

17. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

OK, thanks mate - appreciate your advice.

18. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

OK, thanks mate - appreciate your advice.

19. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

No way I’d pay $4k for a 74 Strat. Even one as gorgeous as that. The 74 Strat I gave away looked just like that one. It was junk - a QC nightmare. I could probably get it sorted now but at the time my tweaking skills were non existent.

Are the pickings slim in OZ @Parksie?

Thinking a wee bit of patience will deliver the instrument you want and isn’t the quest half the fun. Keep in mind I know absolutely nothing about guitar safaris down under.

20. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Well I guess the market dictates current price but I am willing to sit on he side lines waiting for a nice one to come up.

But based on research Ive been doing it may be hard to find a 73' or 74' for under USD4,000.00

This issue is prices of late 60's guitars are quite high - between USD10,000 and USD12,000 so the prices of the later models go up in line with the earlier models.

I just finished playing my Hybrid Strat which is a mix of AVRI 82' maple neck and AVRI 89 body and Im pretty satisfied right now!

Cheers.

hrstrat57 and Cerb like this.