Buying advice on my first Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Sfincs, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Sfincs

Sfincs New Member!

Hello everyone!

Since it's my first message I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I just wanted some buying advice from more experienced players: I'm relatively new to playing electric guitar, and in the last year/year and a half I played a MIM Standard Strat made in 2007-2008 I borrowed from my brother. Since it's now time I get it back to him, I'm thinking about buying my personal very first one, which it's probably going to be my only electric since guitar it's not my main instrument (I play classical piano also, but I play mainly blues and blues-rock on guitar).

Anyways, I have clearly in mind what I want for this instrument:

- 3 tone sunburst finish
    - three single coils pickups
    - PF or RW neck with pre-CBS style headstock

I don't really have a preference about the bridge type, but I do have a question: is really the two point bridge capable of wrecking the body? What can one do in order to prevent that from occurring?

With that being said, and given my budget, I was again oriented towards a new MIM Standard Strat, but then... I discovered the new Player Series!
    The new model comes in handy in my situation, since I like all the differences from the MIM Standard (especially the different pickups, and the 22nd fret, which it's not essential but well, it's alwasy a bonus), so i wouldn't buy an instrument exactly like my brother's.

The only thing I'm suspicious about is the bridge tone control, but I understand switching back to the traditional configuration should be a relatively simple modification, if I really want to do that in the future.

So, what's your advice? Just stick to the old MIM Standard, before they go definitively out of stock (and maybe hoping in some discount?), or try out the new Player? Do you have any buying strategy suggestions, of any kind, that I haven't thought about?

Thanks in advance. :)

Green Sub likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Welcome to the forum! I would try the new Player Series.....since there are a LOT of improvements like 2 point trem (no it's not bad for the body on this one, you usually only hear about them pulling out on Squier guitars with softer wood bodies), alnico pickups, etc and the price has not gone up much from the MIM Standards.....

Bridge tone control is a good thing actually, you can remove it in 5 minutes though if you wanted - using a screwdriver and wire clippers.....

Bellingjam likes this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Either one is a good guitar. You won't want to switch back once you have a strat with the bridge tone control. Tone control on the middle pickup alone is basically pointless, IMO.

If you want a good deal, I say find a used MIM standard. If you want a slightly upgraded one from that, get a new one. Both, you'll love. I think it's a pretty big consensus that the new player series is an upgrade.. but you can't beat the deals you find on used MIM standards.

4. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome!

Regarding the 2-point bridge, I've heard the 2-point bridge is actually more stable. It shouldn't wreck the body.

For a first Strat, I think MIM is fine. MIM are actually great guitars, and Fender has added some more premium models to the MIM line in recent years (the newer Deluxe Strat is one example - This model replaced the older Deluxe Player's Strat - Not to be confused with the American Deluxe Strat). Some MIM models have a 22nd fret too.

5. TB883

TB883 Strat-Talker

I’d check out the MIM std deluxe you get locking tuners and S1 switching (2 extra pup configurations) you can upgrade a MIM std to that yourself also. I’ve just got one as my first strat. I love mine.

6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I don't think the MIM Deluxe has S-1 switching.. The S-1 switch is the button in the volume control as on the American Deluxe, Elite, and others (on the American Deluxe/Elite, it changes all of the 7 pickup configurations). The MIM Deluxe uses a separate stand-alone button to toggle the 7-way switching.

7. TB883

TB883 Strat-Talker

Yep it does have the button. Apologies they call it the push / push switch [emoji57]

8. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-O-Master

The MIM Strat is an excellent value--recommend getting a pro setup on it though, they can be a little rough out of the box.

9. Sfincs

Sfincs New Member!

Thank you all for your replies and the friendly welcome! :)

So, you've confirmed even more the two basic options I have in mind at the moment:

1. Getting a new Player Strat (paying a little more, but I think the improvements are worth it)
    2. Looking for a used MIM Standard, in order to save up some money. The thing is, in this case finding a good deal is a little harder, since as I understand here in Italy (and Europe) MIM Standard are being sold at a little higher prices than in US.

10. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

It seems that the Player is a great guitar. I'll throw this one out as well: see if you can find a Classic Player 50s used. It's one hell of a Strat for not much. Chunky neck, great pickups... I would just take it back to standard wiring. "Special" wiring configurations are always reversible for cheap and easy. BTW having the tone control on the bridge PUP is nothing but good and it has ben a standard mod since ever....

Good luck with your purchase! Take your time and enjoy the process! Lay your hands on a few before you buy.

PS: have you considered a Tele? Strikes me as the best "my only electric guitar" out there! But the Strat is also a fantastic choice ....

11. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Senior Stratmaster

New Player Strat

12. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

13. semka

semka Strat-Talk Member

Firstly, Adorama will not ship this one outside US unless you use a third party shipper. Secondly, the code won't work with SSS model, it only works with HSS. I've opened a new thread for it.

14. vid1900

They ship to over 200 countries, no problem at all.

https://www.adorama.com/help/shippingAndDelivery

I just showed that guitar as an example. They have different guitars in their emails every other week.

15. semka

semka Strat-Talk Member

Sure, just not the Fender guitars. If you try to check out with shipping address outside of US, you will get a message saying that it can't be shipped.

16. vid1900

You might have to call.

I know absolutely for sure that when I was still in NZ back in the early part of 2016, they had no problem shipping a guitar and amp to us.

We called in our order because our card would not authorize online. They were super nice to deal with, and every problem was responded with "That's OK, we'll figure this out", in a thick New York accent.

That was 2 years ago, and things could change, but I'd bet that a call to customer service gets your order done.

-

It's the same with the 2PAC finish that we use on guitars at the shop.

They won't accept our order online (it says "Item cannot be shipped to that zip code"), but when we call, they ship it out that same afternoon, no questions asked.

I've asked why they can't process my order online and they say "That stuff is for professional use only." I'm not sure how they determine we are professionals over the phone - we could be anybody.

Try it for fun:

https://www.welleauto.com/index.php/online-shopping#!/PPG-Omni-Clears/p/75848595/category=13019520

17. rusingle

rusingle Strat-Talk Member

Buy you a nice little mim and start customizing it the way you want it.You should be happier with it since it's your creation and it will crystalize your relationship with it.Plus you will learn a lot and have some great semi-used parts.Its actually a lot of fun.Its like it becomes your child.

18. rusingle

rusingle Strat-Talk Member

Oh you can get a min spec run on ebay for 500 bucks.And they are great starter guitars.pats on parts off.You can buy several pickguards of any color you want,put any kind of pots and pickups on and have several different kinds of strats with one guitar and an occasional pickguard change.

19. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Play it before you buy it.

If you are not really familiar with the subtleties; the little nuances that distinguish a good instrument from a piece of crap, take someone along for the ride. Someone who can help you find the gem in the forest of meh... Pay them if you have to, it could wind up being the wisest money you've ever spent.

Being classically trained, you already know of the cottage industry among some concert and studio pianists..? They hire themselves out, are paid, to travel to the, say Steinway factory (or whatever it is in New York), and play a bunch of pianos, to pick out 'The' piano for someone who doesn't trust their own knowledge to make the selection...

There are some real turds hanging on those racks. Inspect carefully.

And figure cosmetics last. What it looks like isn't nearly as important as how it feels, how it sounds, how it plays...really.

20. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

The new Buttercream Player model is pretty sweet