Join Strat-Talk Today

Buying new gear

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ryunker, Aug 8, 2019.

Well, finance stuff, or not

1. Finance, I use the gear for income

1.9%
  2. Finance, I don't use the gear for income

7.4%
  3. No credit of any sort, I use the gear for income

11.1%
  4. No credit of any sort, I don't use the gear for income

79.6%
  1. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Credit card debt is a dangerous thing.
    It can swallow you up very easily.
    I generally don't use CC to buy gear (i don't buy much, only what I need).
    I save up the cash, or buy it with household money, and repay the household instead of a CC.

Occasionally, i have needed something, saw it on sale, but didn't have the cash.
    I waited until i had the cash, and missed out on the sale, paying full price in the end.
    That's a drag. I could have saved on an item that I was going to buy anyway. But...... i don't owe the CC companies a damn dime.

2. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

Always cash and almost always used. I only buy new if I absolutely can't find it used and need it right now and I never really ever need anything "right now". I'm quite good at selling stuff too, since I buy used stuff, most of it has been sold at break even and I've had the benefit of getting to try some stuff that I wouldn't otherwise have.

I own one acoustic and four electric guitars. Two amps and a third one in the making, two microphones and an audio interface plus a small pedal board with four pedals.

I like the guitars that I have. Out of all the ones that have come and gone, those four are the keepers. The only amp that I really need is the Quilter but the other two don't take up much space (I repurposed the combo as a cab). Out of all this stuff only one microphone, two pedals, the speaker for the cab and the audio interface were bought new.

The Richie Kotzen telecaster was expensive, used it cost me a little more than a new American Special, the 1977 strat cost about the same as a standard MIM and the 1989 Strat plus cost me about the same as a Squier Classic Vibe. I'm very happy with what I've got.

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

I prefer to recycle gear as in sell some stuff I don't want or use for gear I want. I prefer to keep my credit lines open in case there is a real reason to pay those ridiculous financing charges (an emergency). That said smart money uses 0% offers to their advantage. I also keep a coffee can and I stuff it with whatever money I have left at the end of the week from my 'weekly spending money'. It adds up. I buy both new and used. I prefer used of course same quality less $$$, maybe a story.

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I use layaway sometimes. That’s how I got my Mesa amp. A friend is a Mesa dealer with a brick n Morten store. I went in and I tried it, liked it, but didn’t have enough to get it at the time. So my friend let me put it on layaway, and two months and a week later, I took it home. The amp was just under two grand with the cabinet and head.

When I have something on layaway, I don’t go in to play with it. That’s a pain in the but for the dealer, having to haul it out and unbox it, just so I can play with it.

The dealer friend is always happy to do layaway, as his policy is to have it paid off in 60 days. However I did buy a guitar once on layaway, and he let me take it home that day, after a 600 dollar down payment. I didn’t even ask, and he offered to let me take it. But we’ve known each other for more than 20 years, and as he said, he knows where I live. That was really nice, because I was able to use it for a performance. It was a really high end Classical guitar. l

5. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Cash for in-person deals. CC for online and local store purchases. Pay off the CC every month and get the Rewards points.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I only do cash for most things. Especially after having sat down and calculated exactly how much some things end up costing at a given rate/paid on time. That's the amount you actually pay. Exception being short term 0%.. thats different.

3bolt79 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.