Join Strat-Talk Today

Buying New v. Used

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Rex-C, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Let's Boogie Strat-Talk Supporter

Buy used.

Duane_the_tub and Antstrat like this.
  2. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

I know what you mean , that steering wheel is booger city.

3. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

If you marry someone who was previously married, is that a used husband/ wife.

Namelyguitar likes this.
  4. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Stratmaster

I have no preference. If I like it, I buy it.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Antstrat and duzie like this.
  5. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-Talker

I buy used for several reasons, but the biggest is because it's a lot easier on the wallet. For the price of a brand new Mexican Strat, I bought a used Squier CV Tele and a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard with Duncans. It just always made more sense financially to me and none of them had problems so severe that I couldn't fix them myself.

That being said, I'm EXTREMELY hesitant to buy on Craigslist, LetGo, etc. I have and I will again, but with a music store, they at least go through it first. I own 32 guitars. I'm the original owner of two of them. One of them is a brand new Ibanez AW40NT I got as a Christmas present when I was 15 and the other was a floor model 60th Anniversary CV Strat. All of the others are MusicGoRound, Craigslist, friend-to-friend purchases, and Guitar Center Used.

NeverPracticing and shupe13 like this.
  6. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

I've learned to like buying used. More bang for the buck. That said, I have always bought used from a local shop, so I could sit and play the guitar for awhile and make sure it was for me. I bought my used Am Std Strat from Chicago Music Exchange. They take their guitars apart and check everything. They tell you if the pots are original, etc etc, and they note any mods.

Cold Shot likes this.
  7. UmpaHimself

UmpaHimself Senior Stratmaster

I pretty much strictly buy second hand unless there is a deal I cant refuse

WireLine, Willmunny and Duane_the_tub like this.
  8. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-Talker

Same. The guitars I tend to GAS for are almost always out of my comfort zone price-wise new, but can be found used with patience. My CS Strat, for example, cost me less than half of what the original owner paid for it new.

I guess the boogers and fecal matter were free of charge...

Believer7713 likes this.
  9. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

LOL

picard-facepalm.jpg

CalicoSkies and Believer7713 like this.
  10. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

Many of the benefits of buying new are not actual, but perceived which can be just as important.
    I can't think of a single time I've ever used any kind of warranty for anything I purchased, especially a guitar. However, unless a guitar has languished in the case untouched since purchase, it's still going to have micro scratches in the paint at a minimum. To be the person that peels the vinyl off the pick guard is kind of like flying first class on an airliner. Everybody ends up in the same place, but there are a few more (or fewer) privileges, depending on where you are sitting.
    As mentioned earlier, if nobody ever bought new, there'd be no used products to buy - I feel it is my duty to provide good quality pre-tested guitars to those less fortunate than myself. ;)
    I have bought used with an eye toward modification. I've assembled parts casters in order to get things not normally available, such as an ebony fretboard with a transparent red body.

s5tuart likes this.
  11. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

If I like a guitar, I'll buy it. I don't buy intending to sell, so as long as the price is reasonable and in market range, I'd rather lay my hands on a guitar that I love and plan to keep. With that said, I'll sometimes take a chance on a guitar if I know I can return it after getting to know it. This applies mostly to sight-unseen purchases, used or new.

wrvond likes this.
  12. Gridlock

Gridlock Strat-Talker

With with a 15% coupon and second voucher that I received in an email, I bought my brand new American Professional Stratocaster at GC online (in the color and with a rosewood neck that I wanted) for almost the same price as a used American Professional Stratocaster at a local GC (same color only with a maple neck).

The store would not negotiate the price on the used Strat since it had recently arrived and was still on the 30 day police hold. A no brainer in this case, I bought the new guitar. This was the first new guitar that in years, after buying dozens used guitars over the past 10 years. It is nice to own a brand new guitar for a change.

Still my preference is to buy used and let someone else take the price-beating buying a new guitar.

13. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I just missed a 2008 Standard US Strat being sold by the original owner. He was adamant that the guitar only had a total 4 hours play time on it and I actually believe him. It looked like new, had an unusual grayish-blue finish that was knock-out beautiful, perfect maple neck, the original Fender case with all of the case candy including the original sale papers. He was asking $775 or best offer and I think he would accept $700. I told him I'd think about it, and when I came to my senses and went back to buy it, it was gone. This was a definite case for buying used....a virtually new guitar at a fire sale price! But, I will buy either used or new if the value to me is there. I just had a lapse of "good sense" on this one!

wrvond likes this.
  14. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Some gear heads have to buy new. I'm usually shopping pre-owned gear.

Mods, yeah. Wanna void that warranty quick? Go for it! :whistling:

15. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

I haven’t bought a new guitar since 2004 I think. It’s been a long time. I’d rather let someone else take the initial hit in depreciation. However I would buy a new guitar if it were the right one for the right money, of course. I do want to mention though-this is such a great time to buy a new guitar. There are so many choices out there at all price ranges and the build quality on a lot of new instruments is outstanding. As far as value, we are living in the golden age of guitar.

jtoomuch likes this.
  16. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

I buy used for budgetary reasons. The only new guitar I ever bought was a G&L Tribute on the Stupid Deal of the Day.
    • A drawback of buying used is that I never get to pick the color I want. I'm always at the mercy of the Craigslister offering the best deal.
    • One benefit is that I get to play better guitars than I can afford.
    • Another benefit is that, in 12 years, I've gotten to try about 60 different guitars. There's no way I could have done that buying new.
    I don't think I've ever lost money on a sale or trade, and a few times I've made a few bucks.

Stephen James and Deviljho like this.
  17. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You are referring to someone with previous experience.

18. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I buy new or used on a case by case basis. However, so far, I've only bought new guitars. My amps, however, 50/50.

Jason D likes this.
  19. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Modern Day Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

Guitars:
    Several new, several used, several built. No preference really. If I like it and what I think I can make of it then it's mine.

Amps:
    Every one has been used.

Pedals: same as guitars.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

circles and Stephen James like this.
  20. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

50/50 on new and used guitars for me.

I'd prefer to buy new all the time (I don't like other people's filth and I prefer to pick colour/specs) but a couple of excellent deals on lightly used guitars turned my head.

Some of the deals you see on new guitars make them as cheap as used if you wait around.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.