buying online: tolerance for wrong weight on guitar?

how would you feel about weight difference?

• Axe? It's not thursday the 12th yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

diogoguitar

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 2, 2012
Northwest US
hello, friends
Let's say you found the perfect axe online, it has a decent weight (let's say 7.5lbs strat). you buy it and when it gets home, it's literally over 1lb/400g+ difference. How would you feel?

What about 8oz/200g difference? Just curious

Triple Jim

Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar
Silver Member
Feb 27, 2018
North Carolina
I guess if it were considerably heavier than advertised, and uncomfortably heavy to play, I'd return it. Getting a discount doesn't make sense to me, because if it's uncomfortable, no price makes it a guitar I want.

diogoguitar

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 2, 2012
Northwest US
here is a real example: I bought a guitar online from GC. The guitar was supposed to have 7.4 lbs. It came at 8.9lbs , so basically 1.5lbs heavier. It was a superstrat that is heavier than a few les pauls lol
I think LPs have some kind of geometry that makes it ok to play if they are in the 9lb ballpark. But that strat was butt heavy, idk unbearable.

Patlogsdon

Strat-Talker
Dec 23, 2021
NC
Does it have a floyd with a giant block? Mine don't weigh anything until the buckers and floyd are on it....

dspellman

Strat-O-Master
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
If it's really a concern, have someone put the silly thing on a digital scale and send along a photo before you buy it.
BEFORE you buy it.

Most folks read something on a spec sheet and apply that to the ad.

vid1900

Most Honored Senior Member
Nov 25, 2016
Yemen
Depends how accurate your home scale is.

There is a reason that all those chinese luggage/fishing/diet scales say "Not Legal For Trade"

By law, GC can't quote you the weight on any item without weighing it on a NTEP certified scale

vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
Yemen
If you don't mind risking Covid, you can take the guitar to the butcher or post office and get the actual certified weight

wooders

Strat-O-Master
Nov 19, 2021
Kent
I have the same strat from 20 years ago. A big thick leather beast.
Rightly or wrongly, I want a Les Paul to be heavy. No logical reason.
I don't know how much is due to the strap but, an 11lb Les Paul is not uncomfortable to me. So, neither would be an 11lb strat.
I really should weight my strat build but, I won't, because it doesn't matter. To me guitars with decent necks and a proper set up, frets levelled etc. are comfortable. mmdv.

Miotch

Jun 28, 2011
ok
While I say I don't care and weight never makes any difference to me, I had my 9-pound G&L hanging off me recently during a three-hour rehearsal and it started to get uncomfortable after the first hour. By the end of the night, I couldn't wait to get it off.

I think part of it is that I'm 60 now. I think the other part is that it was a 9-pound guitar hanging non-stop for three hours. I normally get to take breaks during anything coming close to an hour. I suspect my 6-pound partscaster would have also become uncomfortable after that long. Or even just standing on my feet three hours with no guitar.

Latest posts