Buying physical movies (and music)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Oct 11, 2021.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

It seems many people these days tend to watch movies & TV shows via online streaming. I do that to an extent. I also still like to buy physical copies of movies I really like. Maybe I'm just hanging onto an old tradition?

One frustrating thing about the trend is that if I want to upgrade some of the movies in my collection (i.e. from 1080p blu-ray to 4K), it has become harder to sell the ones I have. It seems not many people are interested in buying. Not too long ago, I realized they had released the Indiana Jones movies in 4K, so I bought that set. I've put my 1080p blu-ray set up for sale, but nobody has bought it.. I've had ads for it on OfferUp & Craigslist, and I've had it up on eBay for a few weeks now with no buyers. I thought Indiana Jones was popular enough that someone would want to buy it, but it seems not.

Recently they started making 4K releases of the Star Trek movies (so far, there's a set of just the first 4 movies released in 4K). I have a blu-ray (1080p) collection of all the Star Trek movies that I've put up for sale, but no bites yet. I thought the Star Trek movies were still popular enough..

It seems that physical copies of movies just don't sell like they used to. I've seen some stores in my area that have just stopped carrying movies & TV shows on blu-ray/DVD.. I guess I can understand why, but it's a bummer at the same time.

Edit: The main reason I like having my own copy of the movies & things I really like is that I can watch them any time I want and not have to rely on streaming services. Internet and streaming services can be unreliable sometimes.
    Also, Amazon Prime is the only streaming service I'm paying for too, though I don't watch it very often (I mainly have Amazon Prime for Amazon's free 2-day shipping, as I tend to shop on Amazon frequently enough).

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I got some 8 tracks I ain't been able to move too

3. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

I always buy the music CD

4. CattleDog73

CattleDog73 Strat-Talker

I have a Pro-ject turntable and a nice hifi setup for albums I really like.

Otherwise I don’t own a single thing that plays cd’s or dvd/Blu-ray’s anymore. I quite prefer all the streaming options, especially music, but still like my Sunday mornings with a good coffee and Thelonious Monk spinning on my turntable.

abnormaltoy and cranky like this.
  5. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

A record label just released a set of CD's of horror film soundtracks I did in time for Halloween. I hope they know what they're doing! It feels weird to me to even try to promote them on social media.

tanta07 likes this.
  6. CalicoSkies

It doesn't seem weird to me - though I still like to buy music on CD. I've rarely bought music in a download-only form. However, I tend to rip the music from CDs to play on my various devices. I just prefer that over streaming all the time.

It would feel weird to try to promote something that not many people are buying though..

didger and StratoMutt like this.
  7. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Good Will

8. cranky

I don't care enough about movies to own hard copies. I don't really make time to watch much stuff.

But music . . . I'm pretty big on having the hard copy, some vinyl if I can get an original press in good condition, otherwise CD. And I rip the CDs in lossless format. I'll never give the CDs or vinyls up unless I gift them to someone I know.

My latest attempt to streamline my music was to put my lossless files on a massive SD card in my phone. But either Windows or the SD card has bungled a lot of the file transfers. Can't win. Or, maybe I'll win when I finally dump Windows for Ubuntu.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  9. CalicoSkies

I've bought some from Goodwill, but I've found it's good to check which editions they have. Sometimes there are newer remasters available, and people seem to tend to donate older versions.

What usually goes wrong with the file copies?
    I've ripped my music to lossless FLAC versions, as well as MP3s. I've copied the MP3 versions to my phone, and also copied them to a USB drive for my car and generally haven't had a problem.

10. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I buy music. I don’t buy movies

11. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

I ripped all, well virtually all, my CDs, DVDs and BluRays to a big hard disk several years ago.

I still buy physical media but I immediately transfer it to the hard disk.

The house has a hard wired LAN so I can listen to or watch stuff virtually in every room.

My car, where I do most of my listening these days, has a stereo that takes SD-RAM cards, and in MP3 format will access up to 255 albums per card. I carry 3 cards around with me.

12. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

I have over 1,000 (not any pirated) DVD's.

My internet goes out a lot so I watch them when it is down.

The dollar store sells them a lot of times so I buy about 20 every time they have a new batch.

Most of the dollar store purchases suck.

But then it's a crap shoot on line too.

Jesse414 likes this.
  13. cranky

I meant to donate the old formats to Good Will.

I don't know what goes wrong with the file transfers. I always transfer the FLAC files. It's like 50/50 whether it works or not. But it seems like there are specific albums that just won't transfer over. Maybe it'll work consistently if I reformat the SD card to use outside of my phone . . . which I'll be doing shortly anyway when my new iPhone arrives in a couple weeks.

14. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I never buy movies, because there is always a 1080i, then a 4k, then an 8k, then a 16K version on the horizon.

If I go see a band, I'll usually buy their mem-stick or CD, to help support them.

144_233585.jpg

Impulsive guppy likes this.
  15. Boubou

I did buy a lot of tv series though, before streaming. Gave most of them to the library

16. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Strat-Talker

After the whole "Sell all your records! CDs are here, they last forever! Oh, it's scratched. Too bad you sold that record. Now records are VINTAGE and will cost you $6000 to buy what you once paid $1.85 for, YOU IDIOT!" debacle, I guess people are more wary about what they sell or keep now.

tanta07 likes this.
  17. Boubou

There were no records at $1.85, more like $7. Still have all of mine, even though the turntable took a tumble on a cement floor and may not work.

18. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

I feel like I'm the target market for that set. Do you remember specifics about it?

19. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker

CD's are just about unhip enough for hipsters to begin embracing.

The day come when hipsters will eschew vinyl and extoll the benefits of CD's.

Jesse414 and CalicoSkies like this.
  20. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Spotify and YouTube to a lesser extent, have rendered CDs completely obsolete. There is no scenario where I would want one or need one, that I can really think of.
    I do still spring for hard copy movies, because my old minivan has a DVD player the kids sometimes watch.