Buying physical movies (and music)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Oct 11, 2021.

1. fommof

fommof Strat-Talker

My bad...I should have mentioned that I rip everything, that's how I keep them and use them in a digital form. Movies are the worst case since I need to do a lot of work to convert them to 1080p mp4, mkv etc (converting is easy, getting a good result and ending up with an acceptable file size, is another story). Music (and the conversion to 320Kbps mp3) is much simpler.

The original mediums are in a storage (some of them in my friends' houses) etc. as my apartment is quite small.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Jesse414 likes this.
  2. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

Ah, honestly I've done quite a bit of ripping myself. It does take quite a bit of time to compress movies though.

3. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Have you had to put a new battery in it yet?

4. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Adobe Premiere is pretty quick if you have a good video card and enable cuda cores for processing.

5. CalicoSkies

I hadn't looked into Adobe Premiere. It looks like it's subscription software? Their site says they charge $20.99/month for Premiere Pro. I guess I could just subscribe for a month when I want to use it.. However, I've always liked having software I can just buy once and use it whenever I want. I don't do a lot of video editing, so having a continual subscription probably wouldn't make much sense for me.

Usually I've used free software to compress videos, such as Handbrake or StaxRip. Those can use cuda cores in a GPU, though I've heard (and my experience has shown) using the GPU compressors tend to make larger files and are lower quality. Is that the case with Adobe Premiere?

fretWalkr likes this.
  6. muttonbuster

muttonbuster Strat-O-Master

Democratic People's Republic of California.
    Oh wow. I haven't done that for ages. I used to make DVD's too. One of the programs I used to change format was Virtual Dub, but can't remember the others. I'm not sure if that was the program I used to rip, encode, or re-encode to make DVDs or both. It took a fair amount of learning, and I've totally forgotten how to do it. I remember putting the entire 1st season of the Nordic noir detective series Forbrydelsen (the US remake The Killing is nowhere close to being as good) on DVD region 1 so that my parents would have no excuse not to watch it. It took a LONG time. As far as I know that has never been available on Amazon, Netflix, or Huluhoop; even though it's pretty much the grandfather of all of those series that Netflix has these days and was only late 2000s when it was out so it's not that old.

There's always this caveat to not owning the physical "purchasers obtain only a limited license to view video content and that purchased content may become unavailable due to provider license restriction or other reasons." I think I've had a couple of movies on Amazon go down. I like a lot of obscure and foreign stuff, that's sometimes very hard to find streaming.

The same goes for music if you don't download. Nothing prevents these companies from raising rates, potentially dropping music from their catalogs, or much more likely somewhere down the road going to some completely new format and saying you either need to "upgrade" or perhaps even repurchase everything.

7. CalicoSkies

Ripping isn't putting a movie onto DVD, it's taking the movie from the DVD into a video file on your PC.

8. muttonbuster

muttonbuster Strat-O-Master

Democratic People's Republic of California.
    Oh that I know. I'm saying I did both. I'd rip DVDs for storage on other devices, and also make them at times out of stuff I got from....ahem....."alternative sources".

CalicoSkies likes this.
  9. CalicoSkies

I made a couple DVDs a long time ago as well.
    More recently, in the past couple years, I started looking into making my own blu-ray discs too. However, it seems blu-ray authoring software is fairly expensive (about $300, I think) and/or hard to find. It seems there isn't a lot of software for making blu-ray disc movies either, probably because optical disc formats aren't as popular as they used to be. I thought it would be nice to be able to burn movies to blu-ray discs and have a menu with various options, extras, etc..

10. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

I think it is these days. I use CS6 which is a pre-subscription version. Using Cuda with adobe does not force lower-quality format or compression, it just enables really fast parallel computation.

11. CalicoSkies

I'd like something that compresses well though (and fast, ideally, of course).

12. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

I have the new battery, but haven’t installed it yet.

Bill, tgo

vid1900 likes this.
  13. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

I personally don't like the look of 4K. I also took my young cousin to see the ultra-high frame version of Desolation of Smaug. Neither of us liked the way it looked. Not a criticism of people who do like 4K; enjoy what you like.

JAMES

14. CalicoSkies

High frame rates are a separate feature from 4K. 4K is supposed to be just a higher resolution, which makes it look better on larger screens. DVDs looked okay on smaller screens that were common at the time (and even large TVs used the same CRT technology), but as screens get bigger and are capable of showing higher resolutions, DVDs don't look as good when they're stretched out to a large size because they lack detail. Such is why they make standards for higher resolution video.

15. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

Thank you for clearing that up. I wondered what the hubub was. I've never owned a giant-screen tv so wouldn't have known the difference.

JAMES

16. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

Oh hey, thanks for asking. I have megabusy Tuesday and Wednesday schedules and just saw this. Yeah, it's the first two releases at https://www.howlinwolfrecords.com/store.html. They're both Halloween-themed. 'Tis the season. If you don't know them, Howlin' Wolf Records does mostly indie horror and suspense soundtracks (maybe they don't know about the blues artist Howlin Wolf?) so there's lots more there. It's funny though to scroll down their page and see the one brightly colored Christmas soundtrack pop out. :p