Buying, selling, trading

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by DUSTER44T, Nov 17, 2020.

1. DUSTER44T

DUSTER44T Strat-Talker

I don't know about anyone else but buying, selling, and/or trading keeps my interest up. There isn't too many that I get attached to other than my CS or maybe a few others. I'll try something out for a while and send it down the road. Sometimes I come out ahead(in my mind), sometimes it's even and then sometimes I get the shaft but that doesn't bother me. Like I said, it keeps me interested. Don't get me wrong, making out or making a profit is nice but sometimes I just make a deal because I like what's on the other end.

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member

I have yet to sell one but I have gave away several. Most of them went to my grand kids and a couple to my son-in-law, plus one I gave to a family that didn't have money for their son's Christmas. I found far more pleasure in giving guitars away than I ever could selling one I think.

3. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

I'm afflicted in a similar way to you.

StummerJoe likes this.
  4. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

What's not to like I have had well over a hundred guitars pass through my hands in recent years I buy them in some cases refurb or repair them play them for a few months and sell or keep. The hardest part is choosing which to let go when my wife says "you buy one you sell one"
    So you get to try loads of guitars and make a small profit on most or at least don't lose money.

s5tuart and StummerJoe like this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Hmm. I've heard about people like you.

6. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-O-Master

Well I’m in the same boat... my wife started joking about it, like whenever I have held into a guitar for more than two weeks, she’ll ask if I’m gonna make it to the one month mark- I usually don’t. I only buy used stuff at great prices, so I can sell it with a profit, which is sometimes too tempting- even if I like the guitar! Seems like our kind, which @Lonn seems to be a part of too, just can’t help it- in it for life I guess!

StummerJoe and DUSTER44T like this.
  7. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

I have gone thru a good few...but I kept the best of them, even if that only amounts to two. :)

I do find shipping stressful, but it all comes together. No two deals the same though.

My best has been trading on forums...you get some cool stuff amongst 'familiar's'

StummerJoe likes this.
  8. DUSTER44T

DUSTER44T Strat-Talker

I haven't been doing a lot of deals (buy, sell, trade) lately. I used to deal with people from Craigslist but that got weird. I like to deal with people I feel that I can trust a bit more......like here and a few other sites. I just hate the packing and shipping part.

StummerJoe and FrieAsABird like this.
  9. DJGranite

DJGranite Senior Stratmaster

Yup, buying guitars definitely helps keep the interest level up for me as well.
    I just really enjoy finding out what the new guitar will bring out of me.

Unfortunately I don't do so well with the selling part.
    I sell rarely. A year and a half back I did actually sell 8 or 9 and felt like I was making progress.
    But...
    Since then I have bought 14 more.
    Backsliding badly.
    It's hard to pass up a great deal on a great guitar.
    I'm sure you know what I mean.

10. DUSTER44T

DUSTER44T Strat-Talker

Someone told me to just stay with one color......that way the wife doesn't really know what's coming or what's going. Unless she's counting them

Mr_10awg, mjea80, macoshark and 3 others like this.
  11. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

Everytime I tell my wife I'm going to sell something when I buy something she's like:rolleyes:

12. strattopper

strattopper Strat-Talker

Yep... I do the same thing here....:rolleyes:

13. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

I'm the opposite. When I buy or assemble a guitar, it's because I want to keep it for the long term. I might sell a guitar if it turns out I don't like it, but that hasn't happened yet.

14. hcski25

hcski25 Strat-O-Master

I certainly understand how people can just buy the few (or many) things they like and stick with them forever, but I enjoy trying new things. Over the years it made me realize what kinds of amps, neck profiles, etc. I really like.

I usually don't intend to trade, just straight purchases and sales, but I'll occasionally get offers that tempt me to try something I wouldn't ordinarily buy.

15. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

I'm the opposite I don't buy, sell or trade on an endless carousel.

I have four electrics I really like and when I see something for sale I like I consider if it is better than I have and it never really is.

I find selling very hard work and I can't be bothered to deal with some of the sorts of people out there.

The time spent buggering around posting ads, dealing with folk, shipping etc could be spent sitting in an easy chair and playing. ;)

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Pretty much this.

Mr_10awg, Murphcaster, Neil.C and 2 others like this.
  17. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

And I tend to be the opposite moving on only to upgrade something or when a particular piece of gear just doesn't work for me.

Typically I've come out ahead and sometimes far ahead but then I've either had that piece for quite awhile or I bought it right and sold it very quickly before massive depreciation set in.

Gear flipping isn't one of my hobbies.

Mr_10awg and Neil.C like this.
  18. artgtr

artgtr Artgtr Silver Member

I’m good at the buying part, not really good with parting with one. If nothing special or has no meaning to me, I could part with it. I did give away a Yamaha Steel string acoustic - the one that’s like a travel guitar to my wife’s secretary for her daughter for Xmas.

19. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

I bought/sold/traded more than I can count of guitars, amps, keyboards, etc, etc, etc during my years as a dealer.
    One example is a 1959 csb Les Paul 'closet find' that we bought for $375 and sold for ... (a lot).
    Joe B has that guitar now.

Maybe I got it out of my system, because guitars for me, I keep.

Amps may be a different story.
    I enjoy rebuilding old amps, mostly Fender and MusicMan.
    I'll most certainly need to sell off some of the projects as they get completed.

simoncroft likes this.
  20. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

I've 'liked' two completely different perspectives, because I used to trade a lot, but don't anymore. My greatest ever sell was two old tube/valve amps that went to China for so much, I was able to buy a Gibson 58 spec 335. I'd be amazed if I paid more than £60 for the amps, in the 1980s.

But constantly trading gets to be a PIA, if eBay and PayPal are eating your profits. Plus, I packed my musical instruments and amps really well, which took a lot of time.

Although I loved the fact I owned so many Alembics, Rickenbackers, Gibsons and Fenders – and made some cash along the way – it's too much hassle now. I have some old hi-fi I'll sell on eBay. That's probably me done after that.

s5tuart and Neil.C like this.