buying the dip

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by TheDudeMan, Jun 30, 2020.

1. TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan Strat-Talker

like with the stock market usually the vintage guitar market follows, I feel the bottom of the market was 2-3 years back now since that's when I was aggressively buying. Now I'm seeing asking prices that are way out there, I'm on the hunt again but with these current asking prices I'm left scratching my head..... the economy is in ruin right now, far worse then the 08 crash, and yet my pre-cbs gear is valued much higher then it was 3 years ago. So are we going to wait another 6 years to hit the bottom again, or are these asking prices pipe dreams? If I was to ask what others are asking for similar pre cbs strats as my own it would've gained almost 50% value, I'm just not seeing it. What do those on the forum think? Sorry I haven't been active much lately, but work and this plague has had me busy.

bbarott, Lovnmesomestrat and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Supply & Demand is what controls the prices.

I’ll give you an example,
    I was looking for some Lysol or Clorox disinfectant wipes for the kitchen / bathroom
    last night on Amazon. I found a single Lysol 80 wipe canister for $37 bucks.

Normally ( pre-Covid ) in the local food store, that same canister is about $5.99 or so.
    Of course, that item cannot be found on the supermarket shelves.

THAT is supply and demand

Stratafied, rafasounds and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan Strat-Talker

Do you really think vintage instruments are in high demand at these prices?

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

I don’t know.

I am not in the market for any guitars right now.

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

The rich are still rich, overall. To some people, $20,000 will always be pocket change. I think that on the massively expensive things, the market will remain a little longer.

TIMB, myredstrat, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  6. hardwired

hardwired Strat-Talker

Get ready, stock market in for another dip IMO. V recovery will look more like a W.

Seems to be a lag in the system from the stimulus payments, loan bailouts, and Fed printing. Those unemployed are getting $600/wk tax free (Effectively $3200 month salary) on top of state unemployment. Kid is making money hand over fist not to work. When it runs out and Many discover there old job isn’t there anymore I think things will change. Friend just got a pay cut so businesses are seeing the continued impact.

Looking at other Markets I see similar not much used available and dealers holding on to high prices. This is in contrast to the sub-prime crisis 10 years ago. For now.

7. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Last report I heard showed US saving per household is up 33% and at an all time high. I know many of my colleagues spent that and their stimulus check on “toys” once we had record sales for March, April and May and were told working from home would continue indefinitely if we wanted and no one was losing their job. Also my company gave every employee making less than $100K a $1,600 check in April to thank them for their hard work in these trying times. That means many of my employees had $2,800 extra in April plus their continued salary. I know with working from home and saving on gas, meals, entertainment and car maintenance my disposable income is at an all time high.

8. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Exactly. 99% of folks who buy $15K plus guitars are not experiencing economic issues from the current situation.

9. nickmsmith

I’m sure many are taking a hit (depends on their field) but the bottom line is that some could lose 75 pct of their income, and still be set for life.

while the average citizen had less than a few thousand in checking/savings, even before the pandemic. Interesting times.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Quite true. During 2008 the luxury segment of the real estate markets didn't take a hit at all. Same is probably true for vintage guitars.

11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I think now is a time to buy guitars as I bought a few bargains since February, one was 70’s vintage, and a bucket list guitar for me. I paid less than 600 bucks for a guitar that should have cost 1500 dollars or more. Hardly any play wear on it, but some honest wear, a few pick scratches on the pickguard and a few from shirt buttons on the back. And I mean just a few. Practically a new guitar. I think as things get worse there will be all sorts of buying opportunities, as people decide that food on the table is more important than their guitars. I’ve bought 3 guitars since February that were 50% or more off of what they should sell for.

TheDudeMan and Baelzebub like this.
  12. TIMB

TIMB Strat-O-Master

I’ve been buying like crazy lately.. I should slow down. My problem is finding things to buy. I’m not into or can afford the expensive stuff though. I’m talking mid-level

TheDudeMan and Baelzebub like this.
  13. nickmsmith

Yeah I just bought my most expensive guitar ever, arrives tomorrow. 965 dollars.

Stratbats, Arcturus, 3bolt79 and 4 others like this.
  14. TIMB

TIMB Strat-O-Master

very cool !! I hope you enjoy it !!

3bolt79 and nickmsmith like this.
  15. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Me too..but my problem is resisting nice deals that don't really complement what I already have. I've seen 2 nice strats here today that tempted me....but I have an upper limit since they'll have to sold eventually and I think that a certain segment of the market will always be there for quality instruments <$1000 or so. Don't care if they make money on the sale, just don't want them to take a loss.

3bolt79 and TIMB like this.
  16. wht1

wht1 Strat-Talker

A well respected top end vintage guitar dealer told me sales are actually up. He attributed it to people spending more time at home. More time at home = more time to play guitar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-O-Master

If you go at 7:00 AM on the day they restock you can find Clorox Wipes.

18. space

space Strat-Talker

IMHO
    the price of many (leisurely Pursuits) item's
    have sky rocketed
    I am, and would be, a seller in this environment

TheDudeMan and TIMB like this.
  19. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

I just sold two guitars today at full ask price. Listed another one tonight. I’m selling now, not buying. I’m not seeing any screaming deals on anything. Prices actually seem higher overall. Even retailers aren’t discounting much when they have sales. 15% off isn’t real compelling.

TheDudeMan and TIMB like this.
  20. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I got the chips!

index.jpg