C/L (etc) Low Ball Offers

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StratUp, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I make very polite offers that are lower than the listed price and it often works. Don't demean people, don't nitpick the gear, just ask if they will take such and such amount, tell them it will be an easy and quick transaction.

soulman969 and Bob the builder like this.
  2. Gonflyn

Gonflyn Strat-O-Master

One time I had something for sale for $500 on craigslist and some haggis bag messages " wouldja take 250?". I said no, but I'll work with you, I'm willing to take 750 cash if you pick it up today.

Didn't hear anything back after that.

3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Oh shoot. Sorry. This was supposed to be about CL and I no longer use them.

Years ago I bought a small fishing boat that was on CL. When I went to complete the transaction they told me "Glad we sold to you. You were the only sane person that responded to the ad."

4. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I'll usually ask what's their best price & go from there
    I did meet up with a guy selling a pedal that tried to up the agreed price before meeting( from $60 to $80) for my OCD
    So I countered with $40

5. RL21980

RL21980 Senior Stratmaster

They're hoping you'll sell out of desperation/frustration etc. More often than not they miss. But it doesn't stop them from throwing up a hail mary and wasting your time. (and theirs.)

6. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

By the way, y'all--the opposite happens too. People will list things asking WAY more than the item is worth. Player Strat for $1000, when the MSRP is 750. Cars listed for thousands above blue-book value. I figure that's the same thing. You won't get something if you don't ask for it, and not all consumers are informed.

Plus there's the whole psychological aspect where people believe stuff they have is worth more, just because they have it.

7. daytonian

daytonian Strat-Talker

If you don’t A-S-K, you’ll never G-E-T.

8. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-O-Master

More sad, if true but here is an un-edited reply I got when I was selling a keyboard to settle my dad's estate. I politely declined.

tanta07 likes this.
  9. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-O-Master

I usually price stuff on CL higher than what I’ll accept, because everybody seems to assume that the price in the ad is just the starting point in the negotiation. So I don’t mind if I get a reasonable offer. If I get a lowball, I just politely tell them no, I can’t go that low, and if the offer wasn’t outrageous I’ll make them a counter.

I think sellers are often desperate for cash, and buyers know that, so they figure it’s worth throwing in a lowball to see if they bite.

10. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

Wow!

11. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

Low ball offers are automatic. Happens with Craigslist ads too. It seems there are people who just sit around all day long making stupid low ball offers to every new ad that gets posted. If the offer is not at least 60% of a fair asking price I just ignore them.

12. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I am low ball offer guy most of the time. I always have lots of cash and some people really need the money for rent, drugs, booze, child support etc. Never hurts to offer a low but semi-fair amount and I would say maybe 10% of the time you can get a great deal. Same with Pawn Shops.

A couple CL deals I felt went well were: Marshall 1960A 4x12 cabinet plus a MXR Carbon Copy for $100 from a dope head (It was supposed to be $80 but he didn't have any change). 2x Gibson Les Paul Standards one in like new shape with HSC for $1200 each when a guy needed rent money. Brand new MIM Strat for $200 from a dude that bought way too many guitars. Shure Beta 52 Kick mic for $50.

Sometimes people really need money and as a good person, I am always there to help them in their time of need. I usually target 25% of new cost for something I intend to flip and up to 50% of new for something I really want and intend to keep.

I also email buyers and tell them if they don't have any luck at their asking price I would be willing to go $xx if they really want to part with it. I don't always haggle if the price is already within my normal "willing to pay" range.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021