1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Cable Test...Over....and free cables for the boys and girls at Strat Talk

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by The-Kid, Sep 8, 2020.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Vendor Member

Hey guys after sometime and thinking this over and wanting to do this test comparing many cables from BTPA, Ernie Ball, MXR, Providence, Rapco/Lava, Harley Benton, Sommer and others I was not able to gather out of my pocket or from manufacturer.

I was planning on doing this but the equipment needed. The situation with Covid, the time needed, the way to do it for it to be acceptable for everyone I dont think I would be able to do given conditions.......Im also just one man and I realize when I have met my limitations. I also asked others in the industry to help or get people that had the equipment to do this to help.......but no one really wanted to help....and I just cant do this on my own......so....

Just want to announce as I am a dealer, seller, sales representative for Providence cables in the US I do not feel it would be fare for me to do a test objectively as well.

Given this the cable test is over and will no longer be conducted now or anytime in the future unfortunately.

Not forgetting the homies.....

Out of respect for the members here and to express my thanks for the support, as I said when I began I was not doing this for free cables I will give out a pair of BTPA cables MiA , Stock Ernie Ball, Stock Harley Benton, Sommer Silver Spirit, Lava Soar. All ten feet or so and pretty great sounding, if those who want it just cover about 12-13$ shipping insured these will go out to anyone here who needs a good set of cables for free cables as long as they pay for shipping cost.

These cables value from 45$ a pair to 175$!!!!!! PM if you would like a set and pay for 12-13$ shipping to receive a pair. Only USA dudes as shipping is insane just in the US right now. Thank you.

FIRST COME FIRST SERVE

I would give out the Providence cables to but I already gave these to a close friend and the MXRs I bought out of my pocket and the ones they sent for free I already gave out. I may get more Providence cables in the future and give back as much as I can as well.

Thank you guys and to the companies here all who did this for the players. I am sorry I could not finish the test and I hope you guys understand and again thanks to all the companies inolved here BTPA, Ernie Ball, MXR, Providence, Rapco/Lava, Harley Benton, Sommer, Providence. And of course eternal thanks to members and the forum at Strat-Talk.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  2. longboard blues

longboard blues Senior Stratmaster

USA only? Dammit, i failed to win the power supply, and now no cables!?!!?

Why do you hate Australia so?!?!!

:D

Just kidding...

3. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

Not sure what you're getting at. A good cable tester, which will test about any audio cable available, can be had fairly cheap.
    If you're just wanting to show the quality of the cables that you or your company represents, then I get it. Sorry, but I just couldn't follow your post.
    Thanks,
    J.

hexnut, The-Kid and Jason D like this.
  4. The-Kid

Bro sorry man. I love Australia. Angus Young be the reason I play.

Oi oi oi!!!

As is just want to make sure the cables get sent out properly to who ever needs em and as the shipping is kind of wonky now I hope you understand lol.

Cheers man and best regards from Cali to Australia!

Stratafied likes this.
  5. The-Kid

No yeah. Its deeper than the cable test for capacitance.

I wanted to do. My cables have already been tested by a third party who was given cables by many manufacturers.

Not to get into it...but I am happy with the quality of the cables I offer.

The main thing was going to get about 12 or so of the main cables people use and test those for not just capacitance and noise floor but possibly have graphs from 2k to 20k spectrum and maybe do some recordings as well.

I dont have all that equipment to do it properly..those who do dont want to help...Covid makes it harder to make this possible through other third parties.....plus being a Dealer, Representative, Seller etc etc....its not that objective or hard to be not biased about me conducting such test in fairness for those who sent the cables.

I mainly became a Providence dealer because players asked me to do so and get the cables in the USA out of demand for what players wanted. I did this.

I tried finding others. People here in the US. It didnt work out. Now as a representative this is possible and I am now able to offer these cables to players

But anyways yeah. I just have allot on my plate right now doing other things as well and dont have sufficient time, energy, resources, to do this properly aside from it not being fair to conduct it as a seller for Providence cables.

Stratafied and jbylake like this.
  6. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

I'll take a set, happy to pay shipping. May the Force be with you.

Stratafied and The-Kid like this.
  7. longboard blues

Have you been? Melbourne is an amazing music city.

yeah, i get it. I've been waiting 4 weeks for a pair of Uggs from about 5k away....

8. The-Kid

Right on man. Thanks for being a good sport! Best wishes and warm regards.

Have never been to Melbourne but would love. Maybe one day!

Stratafied likes this.
  9. longboard blues

I'll show you around -

accdcd.JPG mal.JPG

duzie, Stratafied and The-Kid like this.
  10. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member

Great, sign me up! I'll send a PM.

The-Kid likes this.
  11. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Sorry to hear your cable test project didn't work out. I think it would have been cool to see the results. Best wishes on your future projects. :)

Stratafied and The-Kid like this.
  12. madmtnmotors

madmtnmotors Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I'm in for a set, thanks! PM forthcoming

The-Kid likes this.
  13. stormsedge

stormsedge Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

I can use a set. Thanks (pm in the ether).

The-Kid likes this.
  14. The-Kid

Thank you man.

Keep in mind the test already done was pretty much third party not involving us and manufacturers themselves sent in cable to be tested.

So while yes it sucks , I wanted to mainly get the recording down as well as the cables capacitance and noise floor but aside from that there is already a test with these in them and other cables as well. All cables were sent from manufacturers and tested by third party not even connected to the manufacturers.

Even with cables we offer that are rated for higher capacitance they actually lower than our factory specs by more than 40-50%. So our specs are tight and clean well below margins of error and as said very tight specs.

Its not better or the best cable but they are a pretty honest overall....and if your interested in low capacitance and low noise floor, RFI and EMI rejection im general....all I am ganna say is our cables do pretty damn good in these regards.

They also sound pretty nice. My fave cable of the line isnt even the lowest capacitance.

Either way these cables Im sending out are great as well.

Sommers are one my Faves too as well as the MXRs.....BTPA are some of the best in the industry for quality and money. Lava cables....they live up to the hype....Harley Bentons are pretty damn good too!

Overall your ganna find a great cable all the way around these choice we have from manufacturers.....and they all sound different and offer different tones and characteristics.....

Aint no perfect cable guys.....

Allot of dudes make a great cable. It just depends on what the player is after and what sounds best to them. No right or wrong.....just Cable lol

Cheers guys and dealing with PMs now.

15. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

My students and I could use some if they're available. Shorter ones preferred.

I'll pay shipping.

Either way, thanks for the generosity kid!!

The-Kid likes this.
  16. The-Kid

Also if your kids ever need a good cable we give discounts to teachers and students as well.

Teachers are important and I would not be here without teachers in my life.

Thank you for all your hard work and for helping kids and making the world a better place and having a huge impact on our lives.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  17. The-Kid

Okay guys its over. All the cables have been requested.

Thanks again for the support members and the forum and I wont let you guys down.

Cheers and best regards.

Daniel Rios

18. The-Kid

Also here guys with cables and Capacitance.....

It matters and it doesnt.

Lets get rid of one big misconception....

Lower capacitance=brighter

Higher= warmer

While higher capacitance degrades signal and rolls of high end more and loss off passive signal occurs, lower capacitance does not always equal bright and higher does not necessarily always equal warm or dark.

Ive played with cables that are similar capacitance 18-25 pf per foot.

They sound different not because of the capacitance difference....but because of the materials and specs beings used to make such cable and quality of components etc etc.

In these scenarios where the capacitance are so tight capacitance plays little on the cables tone more than the cables specs and materials contributing to the cables DC resistance and tonality on a 2k-20k chart if you could IMO as there is a difference in sound when comparing in same room especially in higher gain settings.

Low capacitance cables can also be "dark, warm" or cables can also be mid heavy or mid cut or treble heavy or neutral or relaxed etc etc. It varies from cable to cable despite capacitance. The materials play a bigger role here and overall technique, design, build etc etc

Longer or higher capacitance cables just share this "warm, dark" characteristics in general because you have natural treble roll off and loss of passive signal. Here capacitance plays a bigger role over materials and your going to get a darker or warmer cable in general but its still going to have a distinct tonality unto itself when compared to other cables of similar length or capacitance imo and Ime first hand.

To better illustrate the effects of capacitance, loss of passive signal and degradation here is a ridiculously long 150 foot cable to demonstrate the effects of capacitance on a signal and long wire.

Obviously non of us experience this level even with a big 12 pedal board like mine and less so in a smaller 3-5 pedal board and if you have buffers in there depending on quality and coloration of them and impedances being right...you should be fine....but of course just to accentuate what capacitance and a cable does lets take a look at the test. Again in a shorter signal your not going to experience this level but it still may the there. All lower capacitance and dedicated buffers like this do is make sure or try to retain your passive signal as if you had a 1 foot cable or 10 foot cable into amp from guitar....as when your going from guitar to board to amp.

Aside from tonal differences between cable to cable, this is the main role low capacitance has on your tone in general......To retain your passive signal as best as it can and have as little degradation as possible *IMO and IME

Skiped here because start of test was not spectacular...cool AB between signal to amp and switcher and back to dedicated buffer and switching back and forth. No affect on signal...player kind of like "cool impressive I guess?!?"

Plug in 150 foot cable. Switch back to 10 foot cable...wow...big difference...add dedicated buffer to bring back passive signal with little to no coloration impressive...compare to switcher straight into amp using 10 foot or less cable and going back and forth between that and 150 foot cable with buffer...Guru Level Magic Wizardry!!!

Its just a buffer of course but it tries to retain passive signal as much as possible with little coloration.

Check it out. Pretty cool!!!!

Lets see...not what a long cable does to your tone or how it degrades it but...

Lets see what retaining passive signal means for your tone and what role capacitance really has on your tone aside from tonal differences between cable to cable using different builds, materials, specs etc etc

19. The-Kid

One more set for the homies...

A member by accident thought they may be speaker cables available as well and has asked that they go to another member who needs em as he needs speaker cables and not guitar cables.

Ernie Ball or BTPA left. 10 foot straight ends.

Again guys thank you for the support and will always support the forum and the homies here.

Cheers

20. The-Kid

@longboard blues
    If your down to pay shipping and wait.....4 ever....please PM and let me know will find out shipping for you Aussie Man!