1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Cable Test...Over....and free cables for the boys and girls at Strat Talk

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by The-Kid, Sep 8, 2020.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Vendor Member

Cheers in Lockdown....from CA

circles likes this.
  2. The-Kid

On my way guys

circles likes this.
  3. The-Kid

On my way.

Going to Have to Wait @longboard blues response but have another set aside for another member and his students @Paperback Rocker lol

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  4. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Nice gesture!!!!

jtoomuch and The-Kid like this.
  5. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

6. grritz

grritz Still 17 between the ears Silver Member

Don't need any, but salute you for what you are doing!

The-Kid likes this.
  7. madmtnmotors

madmtnmotors Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Cables received, thanks! :cool:

The-Kid likes this.
  8. The-Kid

Nice.

Those Harley Bentons are frigging nice.

Enjoy my man!!

9. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

Thanks Kid!!!!

The-Kid likes this.
  10. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Cables received! Thank you, they will be put to good use.

DSC_1176.JPG

The-Kid likes this.
  11. The-Kid

Yeah I really have a passion here for this stuff and I just was not doing it for free cables or attention or money.

I really just had a passion here and cables and learned so much.

Like materials matter and have so much affect on a guitars tone, Low capacitance matters, low noise matters.

Even color of the jackets has an effect on tone, not so much the color...but the material that jacket is made from has a direct effect on a cables tone. Thickness and diameter of wire, insulation used and how much and what type and so many other things have an effect on your end sound that we just don't think about sometimes but it matters.

I remember once being a kid and buying a new pedal.

I took my amp and guitar....because I wanted the pedal to sound just like what I was expecting. I bought the pedal took it home....and it sounded like garbage. ..

It was not just the acoustics. The pedal and amp just sounded purely horrible. I kept thinking...whats the difference here.....why does it sound so bad.....after a couple hours of thought I came to the conclusion...

It was my radio shack cables.....

I went back to the store, compared cables......walked out with a Monster Cable in hand because thats what they had on the floor and that was allot better sound that what I had at the moment.

As time went on I started experiencing other stuff with my cables, microphonics, hiss, crackles.....

I never thought just changing cables to another brand would make a huge difference and just solve all these problems.

Then I started noticing, hey not only are some of these more quiet, or some sound absolutely horrible, some good or decent, I started noticing these all sound very different and distinct much like a specific speaker or pickup has a "voicing", so do cables and each one is unique and brings their own quality and character to the cable.

All these cables are great and I dont want to say the ones I carry are the best out there but yeah.....we make a real good cable at Providence :)

These are awesome companies and they are the ones who heard the players call first and got the ball rolling on this. As soon as they heard they wanted to be a part of this test no questions asked out of respect for the players.

Anywho again thanks to all the companies in OP for participating and trying to do this even though I could not finish

BTPA, Ernie Ball, MXR, Providence, Rapco/Lava, Harley Benton, Sommer

Dont want to mention those who didn't want to participate but these guys right here are where it's at in the cable business IMO. They actually care about players and customers IMO.

Check their cables out. Talking to allot of these companies even though I didn't finish the test. Those who did send cables actually care and stand behind their products, care about the customers and players and offer real value and real quality for the player's.

These companies mentioned above are great and again Check them out.....they all make great products at many prices for the player's and all sound great!!

BTPA, Ernie Ball, MXR, Providence, Rapco/Lava, Harley Benton, Sommer

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Paperback Rocker likes this.
  12. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

I learned the hard way. All I had was the cheap, molded cable that came with my guitar, so I went to buy a new one. $15 or 20 later, I'm going home with a new cable.

So I get home, plug it in, and it sounds worse than my cheap cable. The hiss is unbearable. I thought maybe I was tripping, so I tried the cheap cable and it was quiet. Hmmm. So I took the cable back. That's also when I noticed you could find the cables online for about $2 or $3. So it went back and I never did buy a new cable.

When I took it back, the guy at the store grabbed an expensive guitar, plugged it in to some decently expensive amp and was all "well it sounds fine to me <shrug>" so I kindly explained that I didn't have $1500 worth of gear at home, just an inexpensive guitar and amp combo pack. And all I know is it sounds horrible with my stuff and I can't use it.

13. The-Kid

Yeah any old cable can work sometimes but the tone matters too. Try another cable....that's just one instance....there are plenty of options out there and information about them.....

You may not notice how bad your cable may be until you actually compare it to not just one cable but a couple others. It may not sound horrible to you as it's a part of your tone and you may probably have grown used to it over time but If you actually compared your cable to a variety of others your going to find differences in tonal quality and yours may be noisier than you think but again you may not be aware as it's a part of "your tone" @Wound_Up

If you actually try a couple you will see they vary in quality and tone. If you don't you don't and just use any old cable in that sense as long as it's quiet.

It really matters and for me given how much my guitar cost and the pedals and the whole rig and amps. Ime Cheap cables don't sound good, are noisy and we'll don't last long for the most part. There are exceptions but for the most part they just don't compare. 10$ Musicians Gear cable or anything in that range just sounds bad tone wise or has way high capacitance or has noise issues....

No one wants that.

Putting a few bucks down on a good cable makes a whole lot of sense. Great tone, low noise, no hassle. Not all expensive cables are good either from your experience but a good portion of them are great and definitely not low hanging fruit.

They have a huge effect on your sound and tone aside from being noise free and lasting much longer in general IME. I've been playing for more than half my life now so for me after many years with cables out of experience and just not wanting to deal with microphonics, noise floor or just had tone I really am happy with what I have found.

Good cables matter and make a difference.

Pretty much even if you don't have 1500$ in gear. It's worth it and especially if you have even 700$ worth of stuff or even 500.....

A good quality cable runs 30-50$ bucks. People over look it but it matters and given whatever folks drop in their rig it's really worth it and makes a huge difference.

14. The-Kid

@Wound_Up here for example to mark the difference between two types of cables long coily and short and lower capacitance.

Even among cables with similar capacitance....your going to have tonal differences that are unique to that cable going into amp and guitar and rig.

Cables matter and even if you don't have a 1500$ rig a good quality cable matters and definitely IME playing not something you want to be thrifty about for guitar , amp and your overall rig to fight noise, degradation and well plain just sound great with the right cable...

Not just make sound or sound decent.... But actually sound great with a good quality cable bringing that tone and no worries of noise or your noise floor.

Cables matter and play a big role as much as your pickup, speaker, amp whatever.

Cables matter and they have a "voicing" too lol

Wound_Up and circles like this.
  15. The-Kid

As far as cables go I want to say all the cables mentioned here were superb and although had their own distinct tone.

All sounded amazing!!!

Definitely check them all out. They are probably some of the best you will ever try and worth every penny from top to bottom.

Namelyguitar likes this.
  16. The-Kid

Whats great about having a good quality cable in this case....is you dont have to spend an arm and a leg........

All these companies offer great cables and I really feel they are in it for the players to make sure we all get top quality without spending what your whole guitar cost......okay maybe not that much but you get what Im saying.

Good cables....good stuff.

Namelyguitar likes this.
  17. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member

Kid, thanks!

Super fast shipping, and a great gesture that you were able to get these out to ST people.

Last night, I gave them the demo they deserve on the Ibanez semi hollow, and with the Ibanez SZ520, and had fun with that.

Yesterday, I was still helping others with cleanup from Hurricane Sally (16th event), and have been pretty busy training my parrot that arrived on the 9th. It's playing catchup, here! :)

Whew, the quality, angled connectors on these Sommer/ Germany cables are working great as well, kid!

The-Kid likes this.