Cables

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by amstratnut, Mar 29, 2010.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I just picked up an old GP magazine where they tested a bunch of cables. The adjectives they used were.....well they stretched my credibility somewhat. It sounded like they were testing actual guitars or amps. I know (I don't really) good cables help your sound but...Ok lets put it this way.

Who here pays over $75 for a guitar cable and feels it makes a difference? Do you use similar quality connectors for your stomp boxes?

Do you feel that running from guitar to amp without effects needs a premium cable for optimum tone? Or since theres jsut you and the amp it doesn't make a difference.

Who uses the curly cables Hendrix used? Thoughts?

If anybody cares I use $30 Planet Waves cables and Hosa connectors for my stompers. When they fall apart I'll probably try the GFS ones just to see.

2. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

I have been using PW cables for a few years and last year ran into a deal on a Zaolla cable; night and day to my ears at least. I do believe that the cable does make a diffence as to how the end-tone is affected. I can hear it with the Zaolla........

3. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

I've been using Lava Cables. Or, I should say, I have one Lava Cable that I paid $75 for. I got jipped because I needed a cable and the only cables the shop I bought it from are Lava. I can't really tell that much of a difference. At least not to my ear.

4. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

I use a 30' Bullet coil cable (40 bucks) into my pedal board, and the board cables and cable from the board to the amp is Planet Waves. Probably talking 46-47 feet of cable. I could probably get better, and somewhat audible, results using an 18 ' Planet Waves from guitar to board, but I like the coiled cable. My Barber pedals take care of business :D

Probably wouldn't use the coil cable in a studio, but I hate studios anyway. Live is when the magic happens. if I was making good money touring, I'd probably use the high end cables.

I use Monster and Audio Tech mic cables.

5. mahler

mahler Strat-O-Master

Honestly I find that cables have no difference on sound but half of them break on me.

I use the Vox VCC (curly cables) and the Vox Class A and they are pricey but I can say they are the best....... if you take look at the connection there is a whole solid cube protecting the connection.... it is hard to describe.

I do think that really cheap not well shielded cables make life a lot noisier and break down. I know a lot of cable snobs who yell at me for my philosophy on cables :).

The Curly cables are great as they are tangle free, in the past they've been known to mellow out the tone but vox claimed to fix the problem and I don't notice any high end loss.

Honestly I htink the only difference can be heard is literally a direct second after comparison. When I go straight in and then use all my cables together (Vox-GFS Pros for board- Vox to Amp) and I notice no difference, when using the guitar straight in. And If you have to set up a whole experiment to hear a difference, chances are there isn't one and that if there was the audience wouldn't notice it.

Again all in my experience.

6. midifarm

midifarm Commercial Suspension

I am a proponent of Evidence Audio cables. I've loaned them out to clients and had them buy two. They really do make a difference. That's not to say that EVERY high dollar cable will be that dramatic.

7. motoman45

motoman45 Strat-O-Master

what is the BEST cable..im always told the cable really matters...true?

8. capt_goodvibes

capt_goodvibes Senior Stratmaster

Evidence Audio Cables are the Best

Evidence Audio Instrument Cables | PeerlessTone.com

Why Evidence Audio Cables are the Best

Cables from Evidence Audio used solid core conductors and give up some of the flexibility of a stranded cable. However, we think you'll appreciate the results in your listening, and find the cables still flexible enough to use on stage.

A common way for cable manufacturers to reduce their cost, is to use the shield as a conductor.
    Evidence Audio uses identical conductors for positive and negative signal paths. The shield is only attached at the receiving end and carries what it is supposed to - the noise

The Lyric is engineered to have very low capacitance, and can be used in long lengths without any high frequency roll-off.

The Lyric uses an extremely high-density pure copper braid to keep out interference -- in addition, the conductors are wrapped with graphite tape to reduce triboelectric noise (mechanically induced noises which occur from moving the cable or tapping on it).

Solder is not a very good conductor, and each
    type has a sonic signature. Evidence Audio uses Wonder Solder™ from TRT™, which uses a proprietary blend of materials resulting in a benign sonic signature

Neutrik™ manufactures the plugs used on the Lyric. The base metal used is sonically benign, and the nickel plating does a good job of protecting against corrosion. While gold plating has a higher perceived value than nickel plating, gold offers no conductive advantage to nickel in this context and is not worth the additional cost.

9. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

flat out yes. good cables will make a difference. noticeable, audible, improvement. some brands have already been mentioned.. VANDEN HULL, Evidence, vovox and so on... Cant speak for most of the brands but evidence was very nice.

but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it gets really expensive fast.

Lava Cable - Buying Guide

10. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

on a similar but different point. quality of materials and sound
    for racks and pedal boards i tend to listen to what the pros use (i.e friedman and bradshaw) they have decades of experience and get paid by the likes of EVH and the edge to build their rigs so what they say pulls a lot of weight.

I am slowly starting to replace all the george L cables on everything. the idea of thin solder less was nice but I have found them to be very unreliable and often short out or are prone to static when moving them (open your pedal drawer and see) I am moving to use Mogami cables with switchcraft plugs and just making the cables to the desired size I want.

a decent read on pedal board building
    The Custom Shop

11. LukeM

LukeM Strat-Talker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seriously guys, it doesn't matter.

12. hunterlovell

hunterlovell Strat-Talker

ur right....it doesnt,and i bet half on the aduience you guys play for wouldnt notice if you switched from the neck to the middle pickup

13. woolleydick

woolleydick Strat-Talker

More than half do not notice complete bum notes, so tone? Forget it.

Only we care about tone.

Now it must be said they quite often notice if the sound disappears or there are large pops and squeals. They do not particularly care but they do tend to notice.

Therefore good reliable robust cables do make a difference to an audience.

14. LukeM

LukeM Strat-Talker

The point I'm trying to make is that a lot of your idols played with 100ft curly cables and that's the tone you are inspired by!

My advice? You buy cheap, you buy twice. But don't spend $100 on a cable because it says it's oxygen-free and gives you a BS story.

A robust cable is all you need.

15. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I agree that reliable is more important, but to say the sound of a cable doesn’t matter is ignoring science.
    There is measurable capacitance in cables – the higher the capacitance the more high end loss – just like the caps on your tone pots.
    Longer cable lengths add to capacitance as well. Take the same brand of cable and a 10 footer will sound audibly brighter and clearer than a 30 footer.
    There was actually a point to Hendrix using those coily cables – he wanted high capacitance to warm up the sound of his strats going into a Marshall. Same with SRV – he had his amp tech Rene Martinez purchase nothing but cheap grey Radio Shack cables because the high dollar Monster cables were letting too much of the piercing highs through.
    So the question is: do you want high end loss? If you do then cheaper (as long as it’s reliable) will probably be better. If you want minimal capacitance (in a sense less interference by the cable) and more clarity and highs you need to go with a low cap cable, and usually (but not always) these are boutique.

16. stonewall

stonewall Strat-Talker

peavey cables, they are cheap, strong, reliable. my teenage son is in a hardcore metal band and beleave me, if they hold up for him they will hold up for anyone. thats why i started using them. ive had the same ones for a year now and they are still like new.

17. capt_goodvibes

I totally agree with you, to say it doesnt matter is just a really dumb thing to say, of course it matters, a good quality cable DOES make a huge difference in Tone/Sound quality, and to say half the Audience wouldnt know is true, but the other half, like most people in this Forum would notice the difference, and appreciate the difference in superior quality gear, if what LukeM is saying is true why bother upgrading any Electronics, Switches, Input Jacks, Nuts, Tuners, Bridges, or Pickups, you upgrade these things to improve the quality of the tone/sound your getting, so why would you spend a few hundred $ on upgrading these things and play through a cheap cable, it defeats the purpose of the orginal upgrades, do yourselves a huge favor and buy a really good quality Cable, buy the best you can afford, as with any hardware, Electronics, and Amps

18. Falstaff48

Falstaff48 Senior Stratmaster

I use one of those coiled cables that I have had since 1989 with no problems. It a 20' but I can't remember what make it is. Been a good cable though. Cost me about $30 back in the day. Sounds pretty good too.

19. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

20. capt_goodvibes

Evidence Audio Instrument Cables
    Evidence Audio Instrument Cables | PeerlessTone.com

CHECK OUT THIS INTERVIEW WITH TONY OF EVIDENCE AUDIO ABOUT GILMOURS CABLES
    http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=170

I you live in the US and want to speak with a guy with a tremendous ammount of knowledge on everything Guitar related, and/or are after a good deal on Bareknuckle PUPS, Evidence cables, Maxon Pedals or any other gear for you Fender, Gibson contact Jason Smith at PeerlessTone.com | A portal into that ever so elusive quest for the perfect tone.
    He's an amazing guy with a lot of knowledge to share and is really helpful to getting the sound from your Guitar that your after, he's done me some amazing deals on some of the upgrades I've bought

Peerless Tone
    Birmingham, AL

PS I have nothing to do with this shop or Jason Smith, I'm just a very satisfied customer of his