Callaham Parts...worth it or hype?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Guitar Guy, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy Strat-O-Master

Hey guys, toying with changing the bridges on my MIM strat and MIJ strat with Callaham tremolo assemblies. But at the prices, I have to ask what am I really paying for? Is it just for the name, or are the qualities in the pieces that much better? Thanks for any help.

2. mojosman

mojosman Strat-O-Master

I put the Callaham saddles on my partscaster. I don't know if they are any better tone-wise. But I can say I have not broken a string yet. I've had the same set on quite a while now. I do believe the saddles are superior. In my mind anyway.

3. Amwatts

Amwatts Strat-Talker

Worth it, though Crazy Parts now have authentic replicas of vintage parts, saddles/blocks/trems right down to the correct font and tooling marks etc. they are made to exact specs as the original, I have both Callaham & Crazy Parts in my guitars , they are both equal in tone. But I prefer Crazy Parts

4. Guitar Guy

Thanks for the link. I looked into crazy parts for a brief minute, but was not to impressed. I don't want something to say "Fender" if it is not a Fender product. I'm not looking to change my tone and I'm not one of those guys that think that a better trem will make a hear-able difference in tone. I do however think it will make a difference in string life, tuning stability, play-ability, and possibly sustain. Over all though, I just want to put something in my strats that will be really high quality and last a long long time.

5. Highwaystrat

Highwaystrat Senior Stratmaster

Different bridge parts can make the guitar sound a little brighter, and to me bring out more sublte high freqs, and they give you more note seperation, more articulate. You could go for just one part if you dont want a brighter or different tone. I have a callaham block pivot screws and saddles, and i kept the fender baseplate. The callaham sadles like the vintage ones help intonation.

I put my old zinc clock and old bridge on my squire and now it sounds too bright, thin and metallic, but still alright, my strat kept its character but was simply enhance. I dont engage the threads in the vibrato arm becasue it wont move out of the way, its too stiff. So without the theads itstotally pop in, moves outta the way, but theres still play in the baar, but just a tiny bit, it feels nice to me.
    Maybe try just new saddles.

6. midifarm

midifarm Commercial Suspension

I would say totally worth it. I bought the whole trem kit and I think it's quality is top notch. It feels better and the guitar stays in tune longer.

7. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Id say marginal difference in tone (depending what you upgrade) but excellent functionality. I have the bridge block a nd saddles in my am deluxe. I all works very well. A roller nut would be a nice improvement I think.

8. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

The feel of the Callaham bushed block is close to a modern tremolo. There is little or no slop in the trem arm. After you get one, its hard to not want them in all your Strats. As far as tone, your guess is as good as mine. But overall the quality of their stuff is very high and made with precision.

9. ShaneRingo

ShaneRingo Senior Stratmaster

I'd put Callaham parts on ALL my Strats and Teles if I had unlimited funds.

as it is, I've got 'em in several Strats and I'm a big fan.

10. Rufuskyote

Rufuskyote Strat-Talker

I have used the entire narrow vintage style Callaham bridge, saddles and block assembly in two USACG strats. Definitely high quality stuff. Smooth, stable trems that hold their tuning well with vintage type nonlocking tuners. Great feel!

I really like the optional narrow string spacing to keep the E strings away from the fingerboard edges.

They are definitely much better than the Fender tremolo assemblies.

My opinion is that the using whole assembly rather than just the block or saddles will give you more of an appreciation, but some folks are just looking to improve particular aspects.

Whether or not it$ worth it for you is something you will have to decide for yourself.

11. Guitar Guy

thanks for the info guys. Think I'll try one in the near future. have to move some funds around first.

@ AMstrat, I prefer to not use roller nuts. the bearings fall out of those things way to easily.

12. OLDGREYGIT

OLDGREYGIT Senior Stratmaster

Callaham's engineering and quality is hard to fault.
    I'm a huge fan of the Wudtone CP bridge assembly. Worth a look
    at, as is the Bladerunner.
    Both make the trem a useable item, rather than an annoying dangly thing.
    I sold the Callaham stuff as I thought it made my particular Strat very bright.
    Not a criticism, just an observation.

13. cameronbears

cameronbears Strat-O-Master

Totally worth it. I can tell a big difference.

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

i like the callaham..

i like the HIPSHOT more.

15. Guitar Guy

STEWMAC.COM : Wilkinson/Gotoh VSVG Vintage Tremolo

I did a lot of research and searching around, and I think I'm going to go with this one. Great quality, rave reviews, reputable brand and dealer, its said to do what I want it to do, AND its got a cool modern look AND is $50 cheaper then the Callaham. (still freaking expensive in my world.)

Thanks everyone for their input on the subject. It was actually very helpful in making my decision. Cheers!