Calling Lace Sensor experts (Hot Gold, Silver, Light Blue...)

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by alexh4, Jun 9, 2018.

1. alexh4

alexh4 Strat-Talk Member

I'm trying to narrow down the pickup choices for a new project I'm working on. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Hot Gold and Silver Lace Sensors, and how they compare to each other in the neck position? I'm also somewhat tempted by the Light Blue in the neck, but I'm unsure how it sounds since there are hardly any clips online. I'm looking for a slightly overwound neck pickup, like a fat single coil, but nothing too hot or too thin either.

For the bridge I'm thinking about the Hot Gold 13k.

SurfsUp likes this.
  2. Ace38

Ace38 Senior Stratmaster

I've never used the Light Blue, but I had a Strat with 3 blues and another with the rainbow set (red/silver/blue). I used the Blue in the mid, red at bridge and silver in the neck. Silver sounded GREAT in the neck, so much so I found myself using it almost as much a the middle position (which I greatly prefer).

smithstrato likes this.
  3. Warlag

Warlag Strat-Talk Member

I have a set of Lace Holy Grail pickups in my eric clapton crash 1 strat. They are a beautiful pickup and made the guitar even more special to me.

SurfsUp likes this.
  4. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

I've never used a Light Blue either, but have extensive experience with the Hot Golds and Silvers. The Silver is slightly thicker sounding in the neck position than a Hot Gold, although said that I prefer the HG. although there's nothing wrong with a Silver either. You can't go wrong with the !3.2/6/6k HG set though.

SurfsUp likes this.
  5. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

My 92 Strat Plus had the Original "666" Gold Lace sensors, and I swapped the bridge p/u for a Silver which really worked great in that position with the others.

SurfsUp likes this.
  6. tktmsa

tktmsa Strat-Talk Member

I've been toying through the colors of the sensors for a time now - started with the Holy Grails - nice but no love. For primary Bridge position usage I've been through the Purple (bland), Red (too much), and now Hot Gold 13K - the 13K has something missing in the top end or maybe the mid is pushed just a bit much, seems to lack some bite. I'm moving a Silver into the bridge this week to see what that does - silver in the mid and neck has been right on the money - hot strat. Strat first, hot second. Would like to hear some feedback on the Emerald in the neck if anyone has some experience with that.

7. alexh4

alexh4 Strat-Talk Member

Curious as to how you compare the Red and the 13k Hot Gold? I know a lot of people describe the Red as a very hot pickup, but the one I tried once didn't sound all that hot and saturated to, more like a slightly hotter Strat bridge pickup. I'm curious about the Hot Gold 13k bridge. I'm guessing they are fairly similar?

8. tktmsa

tktmsa Strat-Talk Member

It's been a little while since I used the Red, but I recall the sound just went fizzzzzzz with some gain. The 13k Gold maintains some single coil sound.

9. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

I have a 1993 Plus Deluxe with the Red/Silver/Blue

A 1989/90 Plus Deluxe with Silver/Silver/Blue

And I've a set of Hot Golds (all 6k) which for a while I fitted in my 2015 Deluxe V-neck. At the moment it has Fender PV 65's.

I simply love Lace Sensor's

That said, other than a set of Holy Grails years back, I've only the experience with what I've got.

The Silver in the Neck & Mid is incredible. Great sound. Fat, punchy, yet very Strat like.

The Blue in the neck of my 93 is one of my go-to's. Great mellow, thick tone. Stratty? Yes & no. Close your eye's and your in Texas, let's say that.

The Hot Gold's are excellent. I haven't tried the 13k, but I love the 6k set I have. Simply fantastic. Turned my Deluxe into an Clapton clone. Popped the PV pickup's in it just for comparison reason's and outta curiosity.

Oh, and the Red is a killer pickup for screaming leads. I find pinch harmonics just fly out the thing.

10. alexh4

alexh4 Strat-Talk Member

Have you by any chance ever tried a Blue in the bridge? I'm intrigued about the possible results.

11. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

For sure! My yellow '90 Strat Plus has the Blue in the bridge. I like it. Completely different than the neck position.

Not as dark. More bite and treble.

12. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

My opinion hasn't changed...