Calling Out to all Montrealers...

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by TheDireStrat, May 13, 2021.

1. TheDireStrat

TheDireStrat Strat-Talker

Do any of you know a place, locally, that can fix pedals (electronic work) for a good price?

I recently wrote in the "I'm so darn frustrated" post that I accidentally burned a diode and a resistor (should be only those parts) in my pedal by putting a positive pin inside it's negative accepting pin... yeah. I went to one electronic shop and they charged 80 bucks... The pedal still goes for a lot more than that on Reverb though, so it's still an option. I was wondering if there's anyone that will be able to do this for cheaper, if such a place exists! Thanks so much!

IMG_5765.PNG IMG_5762.jpg

2. TheDireStrat

Guess there's either no cheap places in Montreal or not too many Montrealers here lol oh boy...

3. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

assuming you can figure out the values of the parts, anybody who can handle an iron can repair that, including audio/video techs

4. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-O-Master Silver Member

5. TheDireStrat

6. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-Talker

@TheDireStrat , I'm in MTL.... almost in St-Jean more precisely...

I've build a few pedal myself and have all the gear to help if you feel like tackling this yourself. If we can workout the burnt parts and they are available, I'd be happy to help you if you can't find anyone or a decent price.

I can't guaranty I can fix it, but I sure can give it a go... It's not like I can make it worse right now.

So first we need to find schematics, identifying those 2 parts will probably be easy, I suspect they are the resistance and diode protecting the circuit. The fact the they burned is probably what save the pedal.

PM me and we can see what can be done from there...

For the record, I'm not an electrical engineer, just a hobbyist who love new challenges.

T Bone Slort and TheDireStrat like this.
  7. TheDireStrat

I was told that a diode and resistor were dead. These should be the only problems (the tech guy said these needed to be replaced). Is replacing, and hence, solving my problem, as easy as unsoldering these two pieces (finding the resistor and diode by checking continuity between each one, whichever one died, then that needs to be replaced), and then soldering new ones? I never did any pedal work, or circuitry, just my stratocaster harness. Got experience with solder. Is that all I got to do?

8. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-Talker

If all there is to replace are these two, it's a fairly easy job. Finding the parts may be a challenge. The resistor is easy, the diodes depending of the pedal could be more rare. But when considering that it looks part of the circuit protection and not a clipping diode for distortion, I suspect that this can be a standard 1N4148...

The problem with finding the part is the shipping, you'll be buying a 12 cents resistor and a 14 cents diode with 25$ shipping. Plus many site will not allow you to purchase just 26 cents of parts...

Like I offered, if you don't find professional to do, I'm willing to help. I have a fair bit of part inventory and can probably get it done without having to order. Now once these two components are replaced, we plug in and test. If it doesn't work we can start tracing signal and see where else damage was done.

9. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-Talker

Just realized I didn't answer your question...

Yes, it is as simple as de-soldering the burnt parts, cleaning the board a bit, and soldering the new parts. There may be a risk that the trace on the board was also fried, so you may need to put jumpers from the legs of the resistors and diode to the next hop on the circuit.

De-soldering can be a pain, if you're going to tackle this, you probably want to do so with a solder pump and solder wick. You also have to be careful of not burning the pad and lift it of the circuit board. Again, if this happens it is still salvageable by putting in jumpers to the next hop of the circuit. On PCB, parts are connecting to legs, legs solder to pads, pads connect to trace... so if the pad goes of it's the same as if a trace is cut.

10. TheDireStrat

Hey Eric_G, thanks so much, you are awesome and very kind! The guy called back and said he would do it for 60, and there's a warranty included, so I think that's a viable option for me. Warranty is important, who knows if this might happen again lol! It's just simply great to know that there's someone that's willing to help me out with my electronic endeavours... Whenever I got a question I will PM you, hopefully it will be challenging enough! I'll go ahead and close this thread now.

11. TheDireStrat

...and I don't know how, ah whatever, when I get it back, I'll let you guys know if it works!

12. TheDireStrat

They fixed the pedal real quick, it works now! I'm so happy... however, next time, I'm going to do it myself. Hopefully there won't be a next time!

Impulsive guppy likes this.
  13. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-Talker

Great, I’m glad you got it done...

Now, how does it sound ?

TheDireStrat likes this.
  14. TheDireStrat

Pretty freaking awesome! It's like three flavours in one overdrive: lower mid boost (really does sound louder), mid scoop, and kind of a neutral sound, probably has a little mid bump, like a tubescreamer. Presence switch really makes it a whole lot brighter, like a shimmer, it's insane how dark your tone can get with overdrive! +1 for the Wampler Paisley Drive from me!

15. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

Well certainly not Steve's music store nor long and Mcquade lol