Join Strat-Talk Today

Can a deluxe reverb clean up well and still keep up with a band?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by StratoTelecaster, Aug 17, 2017.

1. StratoTelecaster

StratoTelecaster Strat-Talk Member

Hey guys. I've been recently doing a lot of research on old blackface fender amps and trying to figure out which model would suit me the best. I don't live close to anyone who owns any of these amps or a music store that carries vintage amps. I've been thinking either getting a deluxe reverb, super reverb, Princeton reverb. I'm looking for something that will be able to play clean with a band but still break up at reasonable levels. I'm primarily a blues cat but I also play jazz which requires a cleaner tone. So will a deluxe reverb clean up in a band setting or should I consider a super and dare I say it... an infamous twin reverb?

2. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a DRRI. At about 5-6 it is fine with the guitar's volume rolled back a bit. Seems to be fine in the barn and with others I have jammed with

Nate D likes this.
  3. RobertParker

RobertParker Strat-Talk Member

I play outdoor gigs all the time with a blackface deluxe with the volume on 3. They are quite loud.

craigh, The Strat Dude and Nate D like this.
  4. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

I believe you can buy tubes that are rated for breakup from groove tubes. I know they rate them that way. Not sure about others.

Edit: After a quick search it appears you can request tubes that break up early from most vendors.

Nate D likes this.
  5. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Part of it depends on your definition of clean. What size rooms? A deluxe can give you substantial volume. In medium sized venues you can push it to a very nice breakup. Unless you are playing large rooms with a substantial stage a super reverb may be too much. You will get a wide range of outcomes depending on which speaker you have in the amp.

6. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

If your drummer hits like a total sissy a Deluxe will be just fine. If your drummer hits like he/she should the Deluxe will not have enough clean power. The Super Reverb can keep up with a loud drummer and give you clean headroom. With a humbucker equipped guitar if you can get your Super to 4 on the volume you will get some really sweet edge of breakup sounds. And I mean really sweet. A Twin is too damn loud, totally out of the question, don't even consider it. Rock and rollers have now figured out that 15 watts is more than enough for any gig. Rock n roll subsequently died.

You better clean up your technique if you go with a Twin because breakup levels approach extreme volume and your fumbling will come through loud and clear. Only I am dumb enough, regressive enough, and crazy enough to use a Twin cranked up in a small room. Like last night. The bourbon did flow....

Nate D likes this.
  7. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Depends on the drummer more than anyone or anything else. They usually don't have a "volume knob". Good, experienced, professional drummers do have one.

A DR is a great amp. :D

8. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-Talker

The DR will be my next amp. I just gotta sell a kidney.

9. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

While I disagree with parts of your statement (not enough to ever start any type of argument), this quote had me rolling. Lol

Lots of great rock n roll was made on smaller amps. :)

The Strat Dude and liltimmy like this.
  10. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My 7 watt garnet gnome with a quality overdrive pedal can play most Pub or Bar type Venues.

And more if mic'd

Nate D likes this.
  11. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

How clean is clean?
    How loud is loud?

I gig a SFDR all the time, it's been my main amp for 15 years. With an alnico in it, it really breaks up nice at 6, which is pretty decent stage volume. Sounds great for blues or edgy country/roots kind of stuff. If I want more dead clean, I use a ceramic speaker. But still, around 4, it starts to get a little grit in it. Not dead clean. I gigged a twin for years, usually on about 3, and it was clean, really clean in a 4 or 5 piece band. And plenty loud. DR not so much. But not breaking up, just a little edge. Which is why I gig a DR.

Right now, the band I am in, the loudest I have gotten it is 4. Not a loud band, but not super quiet either. Works great.
    In a louder band, if I throw it on the neck pickup and try to get dead on clean/jazzy sound, it has maybe a little bit too much grit. Throw it on the bridge pickup on a tele and start twanging or chicken pickin' and you are right on top of where you want to be.

The other side is, a super is not going to get gritty or edgy until you turn it up and a super on 6 is freakin loud. A twin will stay pretty much dead clean til you get it loud enough to have the cops from the next town over stopping by. ;-)

You are not going to get edgy blues breakup and sweat clean jazz sound out of the same amp at the same volume. You can go clean and get dirt with pedals, though an amp getting edgy sounds better than any pedal I have used so far.

I will say this - go play some of the reissues. They are close enough that you will get an idea of what the vintage ones sound like. I actually like the reissue twin. I have gigged a DRRI, multiple times. They may do the trick for you, anyway. They are good amps. But at least you will know. This is one of those "how should I order my steak cooked" kind of questions. It depends.

Which is why I have more than one old Fender amp, lol.

The Strat Dude and fezz parka like this.
  12. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

A Deluxe Reverb with an EVM12S is a wonderful thing.
    Ask Pete Anderson.

Hint - if you need/want more clean headroom install a more efficient cleaner speaker.
    In my world that is an EV.

liltimmy and The Strat Dude like this.
  13. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Sticker bushes and Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

Well said.

playit likes this.
  14. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

I knew death was inevitable when the stars stopped smoking and destroying hotel rooms. Those little amps were the final nail in the coffin.

liltimmy likes this.
  15. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

What he said...with a caveat...
    If one intends to rely solely upon a Deluxe, one would be wise to have their own microphone, should mic-ing the thing become necessary.

liltimmy likes this.
  16. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Yes.

But it depends on the band. And the style of music. And size of venue.

I love my dr. I have a 72 and a 74. I use both sometimes.

At full band volume they are never completely clean. But oddly they sound in the mix and in the audience a whole lot cleaner than what I hear on stage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.