Join Strat-Talk Today

Can anyone diagnose this neck gap?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by brushfirewolf, Aug 12, 2019.

1. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf Strat-Talk Member

Just picked this up used and noticed the gaps. There is some hefty fret buzz high up around the 15th fret on the low E and A which I’m worried might be caused by this. I haven’t got a chance to really set it up yet but I did raise the saddles on these 2 strings because they looked way too low on arrival. Thanks for reading.
    [​IMG]

2. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

I would pull the neck and look at the underside of the heel and at the bottom surface of the neck pocket. Looks like something may be in their causing that, and it might be easily fixed by removing it or sanding the surfaces a little. It's not right.

3. IronSchef

IronSchef Senior Stratmaster

looks like the neck screws are gripping inside the body AND the neck ... you might try taking that neck off, enlarging the holes in the body a bit, and making sure those neck screws pass freely through the neck holes and grip only the neck to pull it tight into the pocket

4. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Could be either of the above ^^^^^ but I'll plumb for the neck screws..

Triple Jim, 3bolt79 and brushfirewolf like this.
  5. brushfirewolf

Thanks. Going to pull the neck off asap and have a look.

I am able to return it- do you think I should? It's a 2018 Road Worn 60's strat. Picked it up in "Great" condition for $650.

Edit: I should add that I am pretty handy when it comes to working on my own instruments and I have a lot of the necessary tools to do so but I'm wondering if it's even worth the trouble or if I should just back out while I have the chance and find something else.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. IronSchef

The Road Worn Strats are GREAT guitars -- see if you can re-seat the neck properly before giving up on her! You can still return it if it doesnt work

7. brushfirewolf

Yeah they sure are. I thought this was a pretty decent deal too. Going to remove the neck now and have a look so I'll report back.

8. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

This ^, though it is certainly possible that a shin slipped out of place.

Just in case though, I’d sight down the neck to check for twists, etc. If it is just (re)assembled poorly though, that’s an easy fix.

brushfirewolf likes this.
  9. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

Btw, there will be some screw holes in the neck pocket that do not go through. I assume they were used to attach a stick temporarily for painting or something like that. It’s possible there will be a bit of a burr at the edge of one or more of those holes that could cause a gap.

There will also be a sticker on the bottom of the neck. It shouldn’t cause a problem unless it has shifted/crumpled during previous disassembly.

brushfirewolf and vid1900 like this.
  10. brushfirewolf

Pocket looks good. There is some finish but it seems to have been sanded down to the rest of the wood.
    [​IMG]

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. brushfirewolf

Checked the holes for burs of wood sticking up. There is on one of neck holes but it’s not on the side of the gap.

12. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

I am able to return it- do you think I should? It's a 2018 Road Worn 60's strat. Picked it up in "Great" condition for $650.
    Maybe it's in great condition...maybe not
    I don't understand how you can question the gap at the neck pocket and say this at the same time.
    Did I miss something?

13. IronSchef

are those screws falling out of the holes, or are they threaded into the wood inside the holes and staying in them?

14. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Do you have an "F" clamp?

F clamp the neck to the body, then drive in the screws.

That will keep the screws from hanging on the body itself, while closing the gap.

HarborFreightClamps-2.jpg

15. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I was going to say this^^^ Clamp the neck to the body then try driving the screws in. If it fits tight when you clamp it, it will stay that way when you screw it together.

vid1900 and brushfirewolf like this.
  16. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

How thick is that glop of paint on the bottom side of the pocket? I'm talking about just inside the corner, upper left in the photo. I can't tell if that's a big ol' drip or not, but it wouldn't take much in that spot to hold the neck up out of the pocket.

If it was me I'd sand down all the paint that's on the bottom surface of the pocket. But I'm a DIY sort of guy.

17. brushfirewolf

Thanks for the replies.

So the screws are definitely threaded in the body- they are not falling out. Going to clamp it and check now..

As far as "great" condition goes, this is just how it was listed from the place I purchased it. Not my words.

Bob the builder likes this.
  18. brushfirewolf

Yeah it looks like a big drip but there's nothing to it. It meets the rest of the wood perfectly.

19. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

You don't want them threaded in the body, only the neck. Check all the screws pass freely through the body.

20. brushfirewolf

I have a diamond file I can use to open the holes up a bit.

Just pulled them out and wow- they are tight into the body. So tight that I can barely get the screw in a mm or 2 through the back of the body without threading it in.

So the body wasn't drilled properly? I'm not going to redrill these holes. Guess I should just return it...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.