Join Strat-Talk Today

Can anyone diagnose this neck gap?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by brushfirewolf, Aug 12, 2019.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

All of the above! But while you have the neck off, turn the screws back into the body holes. If they "tighten" just keep turning a little harder and the screws will actually act as a drill to remove the slight interference from the body holes. Just turn them until they turn freely in the body. THEN, place the neck back on and start threading the screws back into the neck itself, but rotate the tightening so each screw pulls the neck down a small amount each time. Once the neck touches the body, check to make sure it is flat and in full contact and then torque the screws to their final tightness. If that doesn't work, there would have to be warpage of the neck heel, which certainly would warrant return of the guitar!

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  2. IronSchef

IronSchef Senior Stratmaster

You are getting conflicting advice here -- I REALLY would recommend opening those holes a bit so the screws pass freely through before buttoning her up

3. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, ok. Sometimes it looks like there's something in a photo when it's really not. I would have guessed there was a drip there that's about .5mm thick; it's on the same side as the gap too.

Maybe the screws were just hanging up. Will it sit flat in the pocket without putting the screws in? If so, just tighten all 4 screws in loosely before tightening them all up in stages. Or, like others said, clamp it.

RolyG, 3bolt79 and brushfirewolf like this.
  4. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

They are drilled properly but they sell those as "Some assembly required". If you bought a neck you should expect to file the nut slots and possibly level/dress the frets. Assuming these parts are new, they are made to have finish fitting done by the assembler.

I agree with the advice you should open up the holes a little bit. Also be careful with a clamp, you could damage a fret or 2 if you get too ham-fisted with it.

RolyG likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

+1, a screw is jacking the neck and body apart a partial turn. Align the neck and clamp it as mentioned, then screw in. That should fix the problem. If not you'll need to open that hole in the body slightly so the body does not pre-index the screw as it goes into the neck.

It most often happens when someone checks the neck/body stamps to ensure they are getting the guitar they think they are getting. One or more screws jack it up and then it plays poorly after. Easy fix.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf Strat-Talk Member

With the neck and body clamped together (no screws) it has the same gap..

Possible that it's just the way the wood is cut? If so, would you guys advise I return it while I can?

It's a shame. I really like this guitar and have been wanting one for so long. How would this affect the integrity of it as it ages if I decide to keep it?

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

It doesn't lay flat clamped with no screws in it? Can you share a pic of the neck heel you are working with?

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. brushfirewolf

It seems to lay flat but there is still a visual gap, although not large, as shown in the OP. Maybe the neck pocket isn't flat?

I didn't take a pic of the heel while I had the neck off unfortunately but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Think I'm going to back out of this one. I don't feel comfortable drilling or risking anything that might make me ineligible for a return.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  9. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

IronSchef is on the money. Follow his advice and it will be fine.

sgarnett, brushfirewolf and IronSchef like this.
  10. brushfirewolf

I had the time last night to do a set up and try to figure out the cause of the fret buzz. This was some nasty buzz- audible through my amp and killing the sustain on some notes high up on the Fretboard.

Neck is nice and straight. Bridge saddles were way too low. Just bringing them up to an appropriate height fixed the buzz. Tuning seems stable.

11. fenderookie

fenderookie Strat-Talker

Great news.
    One other tip, when reinstalling the screws, slowly turn them backwards (counter clockwise) and feel for the screw to ‘drop’ into the previously cut threads in the neck. Once this happens, tighten the screw. This will ensure the screw does not cut a new set of threads, weakening the hole.

brushfirewolf likes this.
  12. brushfirewolf

Yeah after a lot of playing and bending the tuning is still stable. Guitar sounds great. I guess the gap is just cosmetic but to be honest it still bothers me.

I'm going to have to keep considering a return.

13. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

Sorry you are having trouble with your RW. I think they are a great model, but it’s still wood and still humans working it. That gap is disappointing.

However, if you like the feel of it, there really is no other comparable model, even without the relic wear. The Classic Lacquer, or any reissue, will have vintage frets. The American Original has a 9.5 radius (no big deal to me, but maybe to some), and costs twice as much. Both have different pickups, but that is easy to change (and you might like them better anyway). Nothing you can buy new will “play in” and feel like that Road Worn.

There’s no fatal flaw, really. It’s just a question of whether to get out while you can or invest the time to make it right.

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Strat-O-Master

You need a set of these measure neck pocket and heel and you can easily see whats out upload_2019-8-24_2-19-54.jpeg

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.