Can anyone help confirm if this 80s Japan is authentic?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Shockmaster, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Shockmaster

Shockmaster Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Yesterday I picked up a mid to late 80s (84-87) Stratocaster Contemporary MIJ. Really fantastic guitar, but a few things may seem inconsistent to me, but I hope that it’s just a lack in knowledge on my part. So here’s what I know

First, Serial number is E697319 but when I removed the neck, the code on the inside of the neck says K ST-562K. And on the guitar where the neck made contact the code says 562D with a K also stamped in there. Does the K stamp indicate the beginning of the serial number? Because the headstock starts with E.

Second, after removing the neck and the metal plate I noticed it looked like the guitar was painted around the plate? Or maybe a second owner painted it a more cream color. Mine looks a bit darker tone than most white/cream color ones I see online, so that leads me to believe it was a second time around paint job?

Third, I know a lot of these were produced with fender marked Tremelos. Some more Floyd Rose and somewhere Kahler. Mine is a Kahler made in USA. It doesn’t say Fender anywhere on the trem, or Floyd Rose. From as much research as I can do, I’ve seen maybe a couple that came stock with this one. Just want to get other opinions on the trem if they’ve seen it come stock.

Thanks are my questions. I’ll post some photos as detailed as I can get them. Thanks so much for all your help.

Attached Files:

2. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

Thrup'ny Bit and Guitarmageddon like this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

It's absolutely authentic.....ST-562 denotes that it's a contemporary...the K is for Kahler....which is the maker of the tremolo bridge on this model.....

Your guitar is stock.....

basswood body, flat pole alnico pickups....it all looks 100% stock....

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  4. Shockmaster

Shockmaster Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

You’re right, there were just a few questions regarding the paint and etc I didn’t ask in the last. Sorry, I’m new to this and it’s my second post. I’ll stick to the original.

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  5. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

Ok.. that's fine.. its just that we've had this before and it gets a bit confusing. Also any answers you get aren't all in the same place for later reference. Not just for you, others that are researching MIJ Contemporaries..

I'm glad @Guitarmageddon has popped in and sorted your numbers for you. It most certainly is an authentic MIJ Contemporary.. and very nice too.

Actually, there is a MIJ Contemporary Club on here somewhere.. why not search it out. There'll be lots of like minded souls there.. :thumb:

guitarman1984 likes this.
  6. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

yes, it bears all of the confusion of a correct era piece

I have one of the later models with all of the bells and whistles: flame veneer, Kahler Spyder, HSS, extended cutaway. I've had it since '95 and because of the 12" radius, I've never quite bonded with it. I tried changing the pickups to a Dimarzio PAF Pro and two Lace Hot Golds. I also replace the nut with an LSR. I definitely like playing it more, but I would sell it if anyone was interested.

[​IMG]