Join Strat-Talk Today

Can i make guitar body with Jigsaw?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by BluesDontCare, Sep 25, 2016.

1. BluesDontCare

BluesDontCare Strat-Talker

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd use wood ... :D

3. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

You could cut the slab into the proper shape with a jigsaw, though if I had access to a band saw that would be my preference. Of course a router and belt sander will be needed to achieve the final shape.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

It could all be done with hand tools of course, it would just take longer. ;)

simoncroft likes this.
  5. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

6. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

I have seen unincredible things folks have done with just a chisel and hammer.

MrNeutron likes this.
  7. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd use a sawzall

Bodean likes this.
  8. Bodean

With a pruning blade.:p

9. Bodean

Problem with a jigsaw is, the blade tends to bow side to side when cutting thicker pieces of wood. Especially with a longer blade. The cut can be uneven top to bottom. Try cutting a curve on a 2x4, and you will see what I mean. Yes it can be done. Will you end up dong a lot of sanding straightening out the cuts? Yes.

10. Robert Parker

Robert Parker Strat-Talk Member

Sure. However, one issue I had was the blade bending. Here's what I mean. When cutting out a 1 3/4" mahogany body, I followed the lines just fine on the top. Where the blade is closest to the shoe and has great support it was fine. However, the blade bent inward toward the tip where there is no real blade support, so that it was about 1/8" off of the outline on the back. The effect was that after sanding the body to the line on a spindle sander, it had what an only be described as slight belly contours on both sides. Neither is noticeable from the front, but they're clearly weird.

I hope that makes sense. I did some experimenting after and had CAthe same issue with both cheap and expensive jig saws. The thicker the piece of wood, the more prone this is to happen. It could be that I have bad technique, but it happens mostly when sawing curves (where there is torque on the blade). My take away is to use a band saw whenever possible, since there is support for the blade on both sides of the workpiece. I save the jigsaw for things like pickup or control cavities on templates where I can't use a band saw and the wood is much thinner (causing less blade bending under torque).

stratman in va likes this.
  11. Bodean

Deja vu

12. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Do you have access to a drum sander? That can straighten out the edges.
    I did the sawzall and hand belt sander before and didn't like the results. It will make a guitar-shaped object but you won't be as satisfied. So you'll build a second one. Then a third. Each better than the last but not as good as the next one.

13. spellcaster

spellcaster Strat-Talker

I've done the jigsaw thing a few times, and it works, but the edge-finishing becomes more time consuming. I ended up buying a fairly expensive jigsaw that has a guide wheel behind the blade which limits the amount of blade-bowing you'll get. A an orbital drum sander table is a great way to true up the edges when you're done. Good luck!

14. Robert Parker

Robert Parker Strat-Talk Member

Is there an echo in here?

15. BluesDontCare

BluesDontCare Strat-Talker

No problem for me.

16. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

The answer is YES...

If you use a good professional jigsaw with a guide-wheel and speed control, plus good quality clean cut blades its a doddle.

Yes the blade will wander if the blade teeth/edge has dulled, but the main reason that happens is the operator pushing the saw faster than the blade will cut. Allow the blade to dictate the speed of cut.

I don't speak from ignorance. I've done literally thousands of hours cutting hardwoods with a jigsaw (mainly teak/iroko) and if you've a sharp blade with a quality saw you'll get a square cut... :thumb:

Catsarefluffy and bobseven like this.
  17. nungesser

nungesser When I became of age my momma sat me down Strat-Talk Supporter

mapleglo likes this.
  18. mapleglo

mapleglo Strat-O-Master

I cut out all the bodies on my builds with a jig saw.

[​IMG]

I do have a spindle sander however, which cleans up those cuts quite nicely.

[​IMG]

19. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Strat-O-Master

Yes...i have cut straight lines and went as close as i could with a hand saw(so jigsaw ll do for sure) and then used the file with the blue handle you see in the pic that has one flat and one curved side to bring me to the line.Time consuming but the result is very good.
    [​IMG]

20. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

As long as the electric drill of motor are bolted to a bench, or something similar that won't move, you could probably get good results with one of these; https://www.restexpress.co.uk/acata...ing_Kit.html?gclid=CILq2Ka4rc8CFakK0wod1-0L3Q

Ideally, mount the drill or motor vertically, so you can have the guitar body on a flat bed, to keep the angle of the drum at a right angle to the work. (I think I've just described a bench drill... :rolleyes:)

stratman in va likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.