Can I use my amp as a cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by hamidwt, Aug 21, 2013.

1. hamidwt

hamidwt Strat-Talk Member

Hi
    I have a mustang 1 , and i was wondering if i could by a head like actv4 and use my mustang 1 as head.
    You might ask why don't you by an actv4 combo and save yourself some trouble! well for some reasons I can't.
    is it possible?

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

yes. absolutely. All you have to do is run a quarter inch jack to your wires that connect to the speakers. Pretty simple to make a combo amp a head or a cab.

3. hamidwt

Nice.
    But doesn't it interfere with the amp ? I mean the amp still functions as an amp too?

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

you would need to wire in a jack for the amp part as well, if you split it up. You could run a speaker cable between the two, and it should be as good as new. I've made a tiny little Randall 5 watt solid state amp into a head before, and run it into a half stack cab, and it gets loud!!!

5. rshore

rshore Strat-Talker

Pull the speaker jack from the back of the mustang and plug it into the back of the other amp. You may need to put a longer wire on to make the leap, but that's a simple job.

6. hamidwt

So all I have to do is drill the back of the the mustang 1,and put a jack and wire the jack to the speaker , this way I have an amp and a cabinet at the same time is that right?
    And im thinking of changing the speaker too , what is the best speaker for actv4 head ?
    Thanks guys

7. rshore

rshore Strat-Talker

If you remove the back of the mustang you can disconnect the wires connected to the speaker. Attach wire with a 1/4 inch jack to that speaker and plug it into your vox head. The amp part of the mustang will be mute at this point, it is now a cab for the vox. The vox output is 16 ohm, I think. Not sure what the mustang speaker is rated. That could be an issue. Perhaps someone else can advise.

Also I don't think you want to power up the mustang with the speaker disconnected.

8. hamidwt

As it turns out mustang 1 speakers are 8 ohm.

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

My only worry would be that you could overpower a small speaker and blow it up. But besides that, I don't think you should run into many issues. Be careful dealing with any electrical wires like this.

10. midifarm

midifarm Commercial Suspension

Make sure your impedance matches, otherwise you risk ruining your transformers.

11. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Senior Stratmaster

Since the mustang speaker is 8ohm, you can only use it with the Vox in the full 4 watt mode. You can only use the attenuator with a 16ohm speaker.

12. PetesWindmill

PetesWindmill Senior Stratmaster

I believe this is wrong

Cool Information About The Vox AC4TV Series - Telecaster Guitar Forum

Basically says (If I am reading correct) that the amp is made to see an 8 ohm speaker at maximum efficiency. There it will produce 8-9 watts instead of the 4 with the 16 ohm. You can use the attenuator if you isolate or replace the resistors (I would do this if it were up to me).

OP, You need to read this thread linked above. Yes it is about the 8 inch combo but it is basically the same internally as the head, just a resistor with a different value.

13. hamidwt

The reason that I wanted to by the head and not the combo was the size of that combo thing , but apparently it's not worth going through this much trouble to use my mustang as a cab. I have to think of some other options.
    Thanks for the link, it was very useful.

14. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Senior Stratmaster

I was just trying to give him a sort of basic idea on what to do and what not to do, but yeah, that's the full story. I didn't know how comfortable he was with modding the amplifier.

15. hamidwt

16. hamidwt

Anyone??

17. PetesWindmill

PetesWindmill Senior Stratmaster

Nope, those are of the wrong impedance. Look for a 16 ohm speaker.

18. hamidwt

Yes I know about the impedance , they also come in 16 , I wanted to know if they are the best choices for ac4tv.