Can someone confirm if this 1978 Mustang is genuine?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Shockmaster, Dec 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Shockmaster

Shockmaster Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Local seller is selling a 1978 Fender Mustang. Heres the fishy stuff. No serial number on head stock, black fender logo and skunk stripe on back. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the fender logos at the time weren’t only solid black and had a boarder, they weren't doing skunk stripes on the back of the neck yet? And no serial is obviously a no no. He sent me photos of the neck pocket, heel and butt. Can someone confirm these codes are legit? I’m interested in buying if the price is right but I’m skeptical. Thanks so much.

Attached Files:

2. StratlockHolmes

StratlockHolmes Strat-Talk Member

I have a 1965 Mustang I’m working on but not same era. I had thought though that the late 70’s they were still engraving serial numbers on the neck plate but could be wrong. Wish I could help you confirm. Best wishes on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

I'm no expert, but I think it's real. Not sure what year it is.

Serial should be under the logo. Looks like it could have taken a blow or some kind of damage that hit the headstock all the way partially into the Made in USA.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Paperback Rocker

Here's a 76

Capture.JPG

5. Paperback Rocker

Bridge is the same but the ashtray cover is not present on the black one.

Capture.JPG

6. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Not even close.

1978_ford_mustang_155443622695d565ef66e7dMG_3935-e1555379789851-940x626.jpg

7. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Are the dots pearl!

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

'78 should have the SN on the face of the headstock below the Fender script.
    Fender logo would be black with gold border.
    Skunk stripe would be on any maple neck that was not a maple cap.
    Neck plate would be "F" engraved.

Those pickups are either not original, or the covers have been removed... Mustang had smooth covers (like the old Lace Sensors)
    https://www.normansrareguitars.com/listing/1978-fender-mustang/27396606

I get a bad vibe from that one. It seems legit, but the headstock decal lacking the gold border and serial number bothers me... makes me wonder if it's not stolen.

9. Paperback Rocker

It's old and beat to hell. Probably been moved dozens of times with no case. Headstock decal probably got scraped off. It goes partially into Made In USA. Doubtful they'd do that if they were just removing the s/n. We can make up speculative stories with negative or positive scenarios.

CB91710 likes this.
  10. Slawts

Slawts Strat-Talker

I have a black 78 Mustang and that looks fake.

The serial number is below the Fender on the headstock and there is thin gold edging to the Fender Logo.

Truss rod is at the body end and there is no walnut cap nor skunk strip. The logos look too close to the edge.

Pickups have black covers and engraved F on the back plate. Rosewood fretboard with pearl dots and three ply black/white/black scratch plate. Backs of the machine heads should have engraved F's.

The volume and tone knobs look legit.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  11. CB91710

No skunk stripe or plug on a late-70s maple neck?
    Rosewood necks would lack the skunk stripe and plug, but every maple neck that isn't capped (pre-1970s) has the stripe.

Other than the missing pickup covers (or possibly replaced pickups), the only thing I see wrong is the headstock decal, and that could be legitimate wear as PBR noted.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. Slawts

Slawts Strat-Talker

I am just relaying what mine looks like.

I am not sure that Fender did a maple fretboard in 1978 for a Mustang. The all black Mustang was only made for a few years, I believe and there were a limited range of finishes. I played a new natural Mustang in 1978 with a view to buying which was lovely, going for £200 but I can't remember the fretboard.

Why would the walnut truss rod plug be on the headstock if you adjust it from the body end?

It would be good to see the back of the headstock to see if the machine heads have F's on them.

13. CB91710

The maple neck requires the stripe and plug because of how the truss rod is inserted and anchored. There is a "teardrop" plug at the headstock on every neck that does not have a laminated (maple or rosewood) board. Fender only did the laminated maple neck for a few years in the 60s.
    Rosewood/laminated necks are routed from the face, truss rod inserted, and fretboard glued on like a Gibson. Maple one-piece necks are routed from behind, but require an anchor at the headstock end, so a plug is needed.

And yes... a quick scan on Reverb shows 5 legitimate 1978 Mustangs with maple necks....
    https://reverb.com/item/27821989-1978-red-fender-mustang-with-ohsc-unique-plays-beautifully
    https://reverb.com/item/27396606-1978-fender-mustang
    https://reverb.com/item/24808954-1978-fender-mustang-olympic-white-maple-neck

Neil.C likes this.
  14. Slawts

Slawts Strat-Talker

I just had a look earlier on and you are right, Rich. I never knew that so have learned something new today.

That just leaves the logo and pickups but apart from that it now looks legit to me.

CB91710 likes this.
  15. Slawts

Slawts Strat-Talker

The strat in my picture is a Japanese Fender ST67/68 and it has a maple fretboard with no skunk stripe and no teardrop. Truss rod adjusts at the body end.

I think I read that it was a laminated. That's why I was confused.

16. CB91710

Ya, I'm not familiar with the Japanese production. Fender did capped maple necks in the 60s, I don't believe for very long.
    But other companies were still making them. The 2TSB partscaster that I built in the 90s had a maple capped neck and no stripe.

17. Slawts

Slawts Strat-Talker

It is supposed to be a repro of a 67 strat so it has the intermediate logo, no stripe, big headstock capped maple board and 7.25 neck. It's a lovely guitar and the build quality is superb.

The Mustang is US of course.