Join Strat-Talk Today

Can someone explain this to me?

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by gofmusic, Mar 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

I disagree.

Wow! That was a strong bond. I don't think that will ever happen to me...

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

@gofmusic

The reason some have thought you are trolling and most others have told you there is no reason to try and understand it is because you have said you listened to LR. You don't like him but want to see if we can change that? Since you have heard him how can we change your opinion? Most people like LR because of his music (you do not). Some may like him because of his style (this would not sway you to like his music if you already don't like his voice, lyrics, etc) and others like him because of his attitude (again not something that will make you like his music).

This is a subject that is purely opinion and therefore it is simply those of us who like LR telling you our opinion. It is not debatable and there are not facts that can be used to support either side so it is just an argument based on opinion. These never end well.

3. gofmusic

@Stratoskater, thanks for your comment. Ill try to explain myself.

These are examples of people who understood what the thread was about:

Most of the other guys (not all) just keep repeating stuff... you like what you like, you wont like it because of what someone says, etc.

As I said, and Ill repeat because I know not everyone has the time to read all my posts in this thread:

I know that, its obvious, I know what I like, please dont school me on that, I dont even want to like LR and the VU, I like some of his songs, but nothing more. Im just a guy who wonders if there is something else about LR and the VU that I am missing, a guy that wants maybe to know what was it like when they came out, the world, the music industry, what allowed that kind of uncomercial style and music to become so popular that 40 years after we are still listening to them.

I think what confused people, was that I said that he is a horrible singer... and such, and I apologise, but that was never the point of this thread.

The point was finding people who actually WANT to remember those times and tell me what they think about LR. Its obvious that hes not a gifted singer, nor he is a guitar virtuoso, he is not a pop hit guy like other, he doesnt follow a formula for success, yet he succeeded to bring his music to a LOT of people.

When it comes to discussing things, it seems to me that there are people who enjoy discussing peacefully because it enriches their soul and knowledge, and there are others who just want to be right. The second ones, should stay away from this kind of threads or any thread who carries opinions (well most of them do) IMHO.

CGHguitars likes this.
  4. ghostlyone

ghostlyone Strat-Talk Member

I think he and the Velvet Underground were cutting edge. At the time it was new and different. He had topics that were taboo. And an occasional hook. His groundbreaking was part of social and taboos, not like say Hendrix with his exploring effects.

gofmusic likes this.
  5. gofmusic

Interesting, deff have to pay more attention to their lyrics than I did. Thanks!

ghostlyone likes this.
  6. ghostlyone

I wrote my reply before reading yours....yours is much more concise. Spot on.

gofmusic likes this.
  7. ghostlyone

Same kind of experience here!

gofmusic likes this.
  8. Stratoskater

@gofmusic

The two posts you cited simply gave you songs to listen to that you could do on your own.

And your quote of : "I dont even want to like LR and the VU" further proves the pointlessness of a thread like this. If you don't want to like LR then why ask us to explain to you why we like him? If you don't care to like him then why start the thread? Seems like a troll post to me too.

9. Stratoskater

Again, how can you claim to not like music you did not pay attention to the lyrics? It's like saying I've never really looked at a Monet but I don't like him as a painter. Further proof of this threads pointlessness.

If you don't like LR that is cool. Like another said I too really dislike the Beetles but I would never start a thread asking others to tell me why they like them. That would turn into a troll fest for sure. I listened to their music and tried but never dug them. Why would anyone else's opinion on them change mine? That is life and why there is variety.

10. ghostlyone

see @Chont youtube link....No allusions of white horses or china....it is there in black and white. My favorite song This time about the experience of scoring.

And mind you, I grew up with a love affair of 80's hair metal and a repulsion to anything Dylan....but I dig and appreciate Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground.

gofmusic likes this.
  11. gofmusic

This helped me understand a bit, and has no songs to listen in it:
    "the things that Reed wrote about and the way that he performed were things that hadn't been done before to such an expressionist way. Thinking about other music at the time Lou Reed and the VU got started makes for interesting contrast and similarities comparisons."

You just dont get that its now about liking or not. Dont waste more time with it. If you think this is a troll post, the best thing you can do to stop it from being first in the forum is to stop posting here :) Cheers!

12. gofmusic

Man, Im not a native english speaker, sometimes lyrics are not so evident when you dont speak the language, I saw a live recording the other day, give me a break. Besides music is much more than just lyrics and I usually do pay attention to it, it was nice that they pointed out the lyrics as a strong element in LRs work...

If youre not interested in this thread, then dont be, if you dont like trolls dont be one. You wanna be right, and sometimes things just dont come down to being right or wrong, sorry you just dont get it.

13. Stratoskater

You could not figure that out by listening to the LR yourself and comparing to other artists of the time? Also that line of thinking is only prevalent to liking LR back in the day when he and VU were cutting edge and different. Trying to get into him now for that reason is silly as it is no longer pertinent. That's is like saying I like Robert Johnson cause when he was around there really was no one else like him. Well now it's decades later and there are plenty of bluesmen.

Also the comment about it being about liking or not linking is my point exactly. You either like him or not. If you have listened to him and don't like him then why should we change your opinion?

14. Stratoskater

This is why I said this thread is pointless. There is no right or wrong when it comes to liking an artist and their music. So why bother starting a thread for our worthless opinions on the subject? Why not form or try and reform your own opinion? Google it man!

15. Daveho

Daveho Strat-O-Master

I'm 28 and I have no idea about half the stuff this mob go on about, get em started on music and then page after page of black and white YouTube videos come up.
    Perhaps there should be a sub forum for people who don't remember life prior to technicolor.

gofmusic likes this.
  16. gofmusic

Congrats! you wasted time posting on a pointless thread! 5 TIMES at least!
    Just go play guitar man, let it go, I wont shut this thread because of your negativity. Go google how not to want to have the ultimate opinion on something and have a nice day!!!

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  17. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

That's a GREAT performance but the video titles ruined it for me.

LR was a mad genius.

gofmusic likes this.
  18. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

Perfect Day is a good song. That's the only good one I can think of.

19. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I guess i'm starting to relate to these guys...

mshivy and gofmusic like this.
  20. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't think there's anything wrong in asking those who like something to share 'why' they like it.

I hated the Grateful Dead for a long time. Then someone opened my eyes as to why they liked them, and it opened the door for me to appreciate them. Now (and for the last 20 years) they've been my fav band of all time.

...I still hate Lou Reed though ;)

mshivy, T Guitar Floyd, 1980 and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.