Can this be called a Fender Stratocaster?

WHD1952

New Member!
May 15, 2022
STRAT
Question, I assembled a Strat using all Fender parts. I must say it was cheaper than the Fender mod web site quoted. I installed the pick ups I wanted ( Tex Mex ), Fender locking tuners. The neck is Roasted Maple complete with serial number, Fender logo and the word Stratocaster.
So can this be called a Fender Stratocaster?
If not why?

Attachments

• IMG_20220328_194639489.jpg
    IMG_20220328_194639489.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 50

stratomatt

Strat-O-Master
Sep 23, 2010
San Diego
As long as you like it, it doesn't really matter. But if you sell it some day the right thing to do would be to disclose everything. Personally, I don't care if a guitar is assembled by Fender or not. There's no magic they do or no secret as to how to put a strat together. If anything, if you know what you're doing and have the same parts, the build quality will be just as good or better.

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes it’s a fender Stratocaster. Looks great too!! The only with putting your own together is when it comes time to sell. If you list it as a fender Stratocaster and get some interest you’ll quickly see the dilemma. Why?

What model is it? What year was it made? How come the serial on the neck comes back as a replacement neck? Did you assemble it yourself? I can buy a new one for that price. Those will probably be the questions you get if you list it as a fender Stratocaster. Fender Stratocaster partscaster in the title you’ll get less hassle but less cash. It sucks but that’s the partscaster dilemma.

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
IMHO it matters not who assembled it it's still a Fender Stratocaster by birth rite. Also IMHO any one of us with the skills to do so can probably assemble parts guitars like Strats and Teles at least as well or better than an hourly production worker simply because it's our guitar and we're the one who'll be playing it.

The only caveat I would offer is if the guitar is ever sold that it's true heritage be disclosed since it may impact any warranty Fender offers on instruments completed in their facilities and sold through licensed Fender dealers. It's a Fender Stratocaster but also one that should require full disclosure whenever it's sold.

JMHO

Pandamasque

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 22, 2020
Kyiv, Ukraine
It is not a Fender guitar. Why? Fender did not manufacture it as a complete guitar.

It is a partscaster even if you built it with 100% Fender components.
I don't see "Fender" and "partscaster" as mutually exclusive notions. If the neck and the body are by Fender, partscaster or not, it's a Fender, in my book.

Imagine buying a new Strat in 1959, swapping pickups for custom wound in 1962 in and then buying a replacement neck from Fender in 1964, as Leo intended. Is that not a Fender anymore?

ThreeChordWonder

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 2, 2020
Cypress TX
I don't see "Fender" and "partscaster" as mutually exclusive notions. If the neck and the body are by Fender, partscaster or not, it's a Fender, in my book.

Imagine buying a new Strat in 1959, swapping pickups for custom wound in 1962 in and then buying a replacement neck from Fender in 1964, as Leo intended. Is that not a Fender anymore?
Trigger's broom.

Nadnitram

Question, I assembled a Strat using all Fender parts. I must say it was cheaper than the Fender mod web site quoted. I installed the pick ups I wanted ( Tex Mex ), Fender locking tuners. The neck is Roasted Maple complete with serial number, Fender logo and the word Stratocaster.
So can this be called a Fender Stratocaster?
If not why?
As long as you like it, it doesn't really matter. But if you sell it some day the right thing to do would be to disclose everything. Personally, I don't care if a guitar is assembled by Fender or not. There's no magic they do or no secret as to how to put a strat together. If anything, if you know what you're doing and have the same parts, the build quality will be just as good or better.

Not everyone who takes a sewing machine to a pile of fabric can make a Gordon Gartrell.
1663975361949.png

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta

Yes it most certainly would be a fender Stratocaster. I’d be some pissed off if I bought a 1959 and found out it was all parts pieced together and sold as a 1959. This “as Leo intended” is BS because that’s scamming someone. No difference in this modern day situation here. If it never left your possession and is actually buried with you then call it a Stratocaster all day long.

ThreeChordWonder

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 2, 2020
Cypress TX
This is how they still race early 20th century race cars :)
In the motorcycling world, many many many vintage bikes have been kept running by swapping whole engines. But bikes with their original, matching frame and engine numbers still demand a premium, even if rebored, repistoned, recrankshafted, recamshafted...

If it were a vintage strat I would expect the body, neck and pickups, at least, to be original. Not so sure if a pot or cap had been swapped like for like.

To the OP. Sorry. It's a partscaster. It didn't come from Fender as one lump, and in 20/30/40 years time someone isn't going to be able to call up Fender and authenticate it by the serial numbers.