Can this be called a Fender Stratocaster?

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
Just document all the parts & receipts that verify serial numbers as applicable. Call it a Fender Stratocaster & create your own personal model as a Builder's Choice Model. That's accurate, not misleading in the least. The Artists Series is exactly this really. Jimmy Vaughan Tex Mex inspired ? I don't know how close your build is to a Vaughan ? Photos & complete specs ? I call my 2005 Squier Bullet SSS HT a Robert Cray Squier Bullet because it's pretty close to a Robert Cray with Squier parts. Even the color (Baltic Blue) is close to what one of Robert Cray's SSS HT's (Violet Blue) was. I get it, mine looks darker in the 1st photo, but under different lighting condiions, it's definitely Violet in the 2nd photo. My Squier has the standard Fender parts for tuners. That probably makes it a Squier Bullet Partscaster to someone ?

Attachments

• IMAG0482_crop.jpg
    IMAG0482_crop.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0452.jpg
    IMAG0452.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Pandamasque

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 22, 2020
Kyiv, Ukraine
Yes it most certainly would be a fender Stratocaster. I’d be some pissed off if I bought a 1959 and found out it was all parts pieced together and sold as a 1959. This “as Leo intended” is BS because that’s scamming someone. No difference in this modern day situation here. If it never left your possession and is actually buried with you then call it a Stratocaster all day long.
Who's talking about the whole disclosure or scam thing? If a partscaster has a Fender neck and a Fender body it's a Fender that's also a partscaster. And if I ever made one and sold it, of course I'd be clear as to how it came about.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
Question, I assembled a Strat using all Fender parts. I must say it was cheaper than the Fender mod web site quoted. I installed the pick ups I wanted ( Tex Mex ), Fender locking tuners. The neck is Roasted Maple complete with serial number, Fender logo and the word Stratocaster.
So can this be called a Fender Stratocaster?
If not why?
If fender made the parts, i.e. the neck, body, bridge, then it’s a fender. Just because it was you who screwed it together vs a fender worker doesn’t change that fact.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Who's talking about the whole disclosure or scam thing? If a partscaster has a Fender neck and a Fender body it's a Fender that's also a partscaster. And if I ever made one and sold it, of course I'd be clear as to how it came about.

Yes it’s a Stratocaster all day long. I agree there and have said that in my posts. Lots say the same and it only matters if you’re gonna sell it. Then it’s a partscaster. You’re posts kind of suggest Leo designed them to easily swap parts so it’s all good. It’s all good if you keep that 59 hybrid all for yourself and it never lands itself into a pawn shop.

Chipss36

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 1, 2018
Texas
I don’t ask, and I don’t care what the internet hive minds think, all fender parts is a fender……I can build a guitar at the same level as any custom shop employe, wire it better, have more attention to detail, and take more time, a plek does better fret work that is constant and repeatable, I can use ivory for a nut and fender can not, I can build guitars with fender parts that fender does not offer, many reasons for me doing so…

my guitars are fender, sorry not sorry, and do not care if you do not not agree….so…..

A partscaster is make with non fender parts, has no certificate of authenticity, like fender parts do….big difference.

who assembled it does not matter, no way , is how…. it’s just people who lack skills that think otherwise. And that a tell…..

do people call SRV,s first wife a parts caster? Rhetorical question….

Pandamasque

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 22, 2020
Kyiv, Ukraine
I find it amusing that according to some people's logic, once you check the neck date on a Fender guitar and put the neck back on, it's not a Fender anymore, since you're the one putting it together, not the factory :D

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
A guitar not assembled by Fender is not a Fender. If you were to contact them with picture and info, they would tell you that is is not a genuine Fender guitar and that it’s a partcaster.

The market also dictate what it is, you can build a guitar from all CS parts, but you’ll never get the value of a CS guitar without deceiving the buyer.

Last edited:

Boneman68

Strat-O-Master
Apr 12, 2021
CA
Call it whatever, who really cares anymore? I think people need to use the search function for “is this a Fender?” and then go and add your partscaster to one of the other hundreds of threads that beat this topic to death. No other brands do people worry about this notion do they? Or do people go on Les Paul forums with these hypotheticals?

Buzzgrowl

Strat-O-Master
Oct 26, 2018
Switzerland
It's a Fender Strat. There are lots of "products" that are not made in factories owned by the brand. Many guitars are OEM and so not "original" in the purist sense. Not all OEM is licensed (there may be other types of contracts in place that are not strictly licences regulating outsourcing the manufacture).

This has nothing to do with "partscaster". A partscaster is a highly modified, often DIY, using a few or many 3rd party parts, fender-style guitar. The spec is often unavailable as-is from "the factory" - niether from the original plant nor the OEM outsourced factory. Partscasters making is very loosely comparable to hot rod culture or (in Europe) car tuning.

What a partscaster is not is "made in the Fender factory". That does not not make it a Fender provided you used at least a Fender neck and body.

Myself, I only call my MIA factory assembled Fenders "Fenders". My partscasters have much better 3rd party parts and are well put togethere and set up, beyond anything non-custom shop Fender will give you. Calling them "Fenders" would be a downgrade.

I'm not sure this was not confusing. 😄

I generally ignore comments that disrespect partscasters and the culture and community around this niche.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I find it amusing that according to some people's logic, once you check the neck date on a Fender guitar and put the neck back on, it's not a Fender anymore, since you're the one putting it together, not the factory :D

This is no one’s logic, this is your logic and it’s not how it works. I don’t know why this is so confusing to so many people. If you contact fender like many members have, they’ll tell you, all your purchased fender parts assembled by you is a partscaster. It is not a genuine fender.

Why do people ask what we think it is, ask fender, they say it’s a partscaster. How in the world can you argue that? That’s the logic I don’t get. No fender, I’ll tell you what, my parts assembled fender Strat is every bit fender as yours! Believe what ever your heart tells you. It’s actually ridiculous to argue about it.

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
As long as you keep it for your own use/pleasure it is a Fender Stratocaster, call it whatever you want.

If you go to sell it it is a Stratocaster assembled with all Fender parts.

All this foaming at the mouth finger wagging "call it this or else" judgement is the cousin of that HOA n a z i.