Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Can We Play a Game? (Guitar value game)

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Vindibona1, Oct 9, 2017.

Question 1: Which guitar is the $3200 guitar. Question 2: Which guitar costs more?

1. First guitar (for question one)

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Second guitar (for question one)

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. First guitar (for question two)

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  4. Second guitar (for question two)

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Heartfelt

Heartfelt Strat-Talker

Jun 9, 2013
    UK
    I only half agree. Part of the test is to try and "hear the money". But as stated there's a lot of variables. Strings being just one of them.
    I don't own an expensive acoustic. I've two that I bought because I liked the tone vs more expensive guitars, but I wouldn't say they were better guitars.
    Hopefully, with more expense comes better quality, lifespan, improving tone and even resale value.
    But tone is tone, however you get it.

2. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You're right about seeing if you can "hear the money". When it comes to string variables (and other stuff) you're preaching to the choir. I'm the poster boy of string testing over on AGF. I continuously do string testing when the time is right for it.

This this past month I wanted to go back and see how I felt about Elixirs on my 614. I strung it with 13-56's about 4 weeks ago. It sounded ok. A few days ago I got my own Tonerite device and gave it a refresher. It actually settled in about 2 weeks (before the Tonerite)which was surprising. I'd have expected the Elixirs to be on the way out, but they're hanging in there.Great projection, decent balance with slightly pronounced mids. Truly gigable (thinking toward this Friday)... But I usually string 12's. ...

...So I strung my 814ceDLX, not with my usual SUS strings, but Elixir 12's. I played it in for awhile then did a side by side and got a very similar sound. I did an initial test for loudness with my iPhones decibel meter and they were very close. So I did a couple quick recordings. Both sounded very similar. While the 614 projected mids better the mids in the 814 weren't as pronounced and more highs came through, I believe because the mids weren't eclipsing them as much. Were I to choose a guitar to gig with on Friday I'd pick the 814 ONLY because it's got 13's and the 12's will just be easier on my hands. I may have to expend a set of Elixir 12's on the 614 before the 814's string get too far along so I can see the similarities and differences further.

Now guitar #1... Seems that now it's strung with D'Addario EJ19 (Bluegrass). That same guitar that fooled everyone with the SUS strings in the recording... sounds like crap with the D'Addarios. I may try a set of D'Addario Nickel Bronze next, but only because I have a set in the drawer which I've already tested on my 614.... unless I take one last stab at the 814 with them. I dunno. But the Epiphone sings with the right strings. As they might say in a nursery rhyme, "When she's strung good she sounds very very good. And when she's strung bad she sounds horrid".