Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Can we talk acoustic guitars?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by PorterBelly, Jun 17, 2017.

1. PorterBelly

PorterBelly Strat-Talk Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Alaska
    I really like acoustic guitars. But I don't own one... anymore. I've owned a few but I haven't found "the one." I've been loooking at a lot of acoustics lately and I've found a few the sound alright. But they all look like they're made of cheap wood and then have some laminate on the top or a heavy coat of paint. Are there good cheaper options? What should I look for? What do you like? Give me all your acoustic opinions

Bonus, post a pic of your acoustic guitar, because who doesn't like sweet guitar pics?

circles likes this.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Hit the used market. There are a lot of great instruments from makers such as Alvarez, Takamine, or Sigma (if you can find them), and I'm sure other members will chime in with their suggestions as well.
    I don't have a pic, but I do have an older Sigma that's in storage awaiting a refret and some other work. My current "acoustic" is a semi-hollow Gretsch that I happen to like the acoustic sound of enough to want to install an acoustic-style piezo bridge on; I actually just logged on for that specific reason, to order the parts.
    But you're absolutely right, nobody dislikes sweet guitar pics. :cool:

3. PorterBelly

PorterBelly Strat-Talk Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Alaska
    @Mr. Lumbergh, thank you for being so active in this forum. I'm pretty new and I have noticed you are all over the place with good information and positive feedback. :thumb: Thank you

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Oh, I'm just one of many. There's a lot of great folks on here, welcome aboard.

Green Craig and skypeace like this.

5. perttime

perttime Strat-Talker

May 4, 2015
    Finland
    There's a section for Acoustics here but it isn't all that busy.
    You don't mention a budget... but I'd add Yamaha and Seagull to the list for good affordable guitars. There's certainly more. Actually, if you can try guitars, try everything in your price range - and a little above it.

Acoustics have more variation between individual instruments than electrics, so ideally you should try the exact one that you might want to buy.

Textele and Mr. Lumbergh like this.

6. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

Aug 22, 2015
    States
    I wouldn't consider myself a full blown acoustic guy but more of a folk roots type... "House of the Rising Sun" and what not. The most acoustic fun I have are with decent sounding "budget" models that I can bang around / pass around wherever with. These days it's with a Seagull Rustic S6 that I bought on sale for $250. Features include, 24.8 scale ,solid cedar top , silver leaf maple neck ,wild cherry ply back and sides. I think the scale and cedar top give it a slightly softer / broken in sound.

7. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    IMG_0409.JPG Alvarez Yairi and don't look back ..... Here's mine .

8. kargoboy

kargoboy Strat-O-Master

Aug 3, 2014
    St. Augustine
    OP: I didn't have an acoustic for 25 years---but lately I've been doing a lot of solo sets and open mics.
    I needed a guitar that sounded decent without spending a crapload of money. My choice was a midrange-price
    Takamine. It's been a good choice for me.

9. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Ive own sosme cheap or mid priced acoustic guitars... Gianinni, Stagg, Takamine. Out of those the Tak was the best no doubt about it.

I sold them all eventually and got an Epiphone AJ220SCE, with soild top and laminated back and sides that sounds nice acoustically, but the pickup is not the best Ive heard... That Epi is for sale right now.

Recently (well not so much, like 6 months or so) I got this one used and I think I found the one... its a Taylor 214CE and I love every bit of it.
    IMG_20161020_094529353.jpg IMG_20161020_094544999.jpg IMG_20161020_095508113.jpg IMG_20161020_095516736.jpg IMG_20161020_095532664.jpg

10. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I've got a thin-bodied, bolt-neck Peavey Ecoustic from about 1992 that I've had since new with a single-piece mahagony back. It's not loud and really meant to be amp'ed, but I really love the feel of it and how it records and came with a really nice active pickup.

Here's Amazing Grace recorded on it. I mention this b/c, for me, an acoustic still needs to be simple to set up and record in a home studio - where mic'ing isn't always an option.

Now I want a reso next!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017

11. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    I've also got a Peavey acoustic, about a decade younger than yours. They're apparently huge underdogs. People pick mine up and play it, and are completely astounded by how good it feels and sounds. They definitely need a good setup, but once that's done, it's like a whole new guitar.

12. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Interesting. I thought they only made them for two or three years. And yes, very much an underdog.

13. perttime

perttime Strat-Talker

May 4, 2015
    Finland
    This might be off-topic but occasionally a guitar can be great fun even if it is not decent :eek:

I have a guitar-shaped-object that cannot be tuned well enough to play more than one chord in tune. Sometimes I take it out and play something bluesy, bending, snapping and popping the strings - partly hoping that it will break. It hasn't broken yet but I get giggles out of the noises that come out of it. :D

wildhawk and Guitaraxe like this.

14. ChaplainMike

ChaplainMike Strat-Talk Member

May 30, 2017
    Okinawa

I got that exact model for my son for his birthday. He gets it June 20. I'm more excited than he is

GuitarPix likes this.

15. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    That is a hell of a guitar... I bet you are.

ChaplainMike likes this.

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Folks seem to have that reaction to Peavey a lot, and they've been having it for over 40 years... I'm not sure why they're always the underdog.

stratman in va likes this.

17. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    Hell, I love my Peavey Rage amp as well.... such a cool, pure sound.

wildhawk likes this.

18. Hippieway

Hippieway Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2009
    Virginia
    My Crafter TA050 and Silver Creek SC-160 are my two favorite acoustics. Both play and sound good. I think an acoustic guitar is an essential piece in any stable. TA050.jpg Silver Creek.jpg

19. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Love my Martins. OM-21 and Custom D-16.
    IMG_0017.JPG

savofenno, 1980 and Green Craig like this.

20. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    My Takamine was pretty cheap but it sounds and plays great, lots of success with Yamaha's too over the years... here is the Tak? It's an EF340SC, it's a spruce top, it's just darkened in the sun...

IMG_0427.JPG