Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Can we talk acoustic guitars?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by PorterBelly, Jun 17, 2017.

1. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Go play as many as you can.

Ignore the headstock names even though it's hard and bs that laminate can't sound as good.

Blindfolded you might pick one that's a fifth the price of the the so called "better guitars".

stratman in va and Green Craig like this.

2. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    Recently as well jumped on the 214ce wagon, Koa laminate back and sides, solid spruce top deluxe so its shiny all over. Bout a month ago, do like it, but still in the honeymoon phase. Local shop had like a 20% off sale so it was like $1,000 out the door with the hard case.

WIN_20170620_18_26_53_Pro.jpg WIN_20170620_18_27_10_Pro.jpg

3. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    It's a gorgeous guitar. I paid 800 without case or bag... So, we got similar deals. Enjoy it!

ryunker likes this.

4. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep. If you play a lot of acoustics and have patience you will eventually get lucky. The two guitars shown below have almost a $2000 difference in price. Do you think there's that much difference in sound quality? While the Epi sounds more like a D-28 when it has fresh strings it rivals the D-35 in sound quality. Owning it was a result of playing a ton of guitars and knowing a gem when I held it in my hand.

Epi_Martin_sm.jpg

savofenno and navigate40 like this.

5. FormerTeleGuy

FormerTeleGuy Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2013
    Oak Lawn, IL
    Typically with acoustics, all read wood = more money and usually....usually...better tone. They all sound very different, even like makes and models. I have an old beater that was $99 about 10 years ago that does some things better than my $1500 Taylor. If you have a good set of songs in your hands and heart then just go play a bunch within your price range and buy the one you like.

montemerrick likes this.

6. Cruel_Sin

Cruel_Sin Strat-Talk Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Indonesia
    I really got into with acoustic guitars a year back by getting some cheap of them. Mine is having two and bot of them are not high than 150 dollars.

moullineaux likes this.

7. navigate40

navigate40 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 2, 2017
    SE FL
    I had a cheap acoustic for years, then bought a nice sounding Alvarez. Nice guitar, looked good and well built, sounded very nice...but was still a low cost model ($300). Had that for some time and decided to put some money together and get as good an acoustic as I could, for under $700 or so.

As someone wrote above, play as many as you can, ignore head stock. Find the sound you want and the playability. THEN...look at its attributes. For ME...that was a Gibson J-15. All solid wood, hand made, satin finish back of the neck. Jumbo or Dreadnaught size.

Did a search for similar guitars and price. Found that Epiphone Masterbilt's and Seagull's are solid woods, hand made, and can be had for around $650. [note added: The Seagull S6 is solid top, arched, laminate sides and back...but not pressed wood...real wood...it was the only model the store had]

Played a couple Epi Masterbilts (and the "Texan") side by side with the J-15 and Seagull S6. Found that the Epiphone DR500mce was amazing to me. And it was on sale for $100 off. It is all solid tone woods, hand made, satin neck (back). Love the sound, plays like a dream. Has that deep, full bodied, projecting voice that the J-15 has. Perfect intonation.

dr500mce.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    savofenno and Kayden33 like this.

8. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-Talker

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    I’ve owned many acoustics over the years from Martin D-18, Larrivee LV-03E, Larrivee LV-05E, Takamine EG530CE and Breedlove Masterclass (early model).
    I currently own the Larrivee LV-03, Larrivee LV-05 and Taylor 814CE.

From best to least liked Taylor 814CE, Breedlove Masterclass, Larrivee LV-03E, Larrivee LV-05E, Martin D-18 and Takamine EG530CE.

My current and forever acoustic that I’ll never sale as long as I live is my 2017 Taylor 814CE

0A0328BC-A6BA-40DE-9C26-7E761C60B604.jpeg
    E61418F1-49AB-48BF-95FE-751AD99ECAFF.jpeg
    9D0DF8F0-C71C-4A94-ACA5-1F450EF1941B.jpeg
    EA26ADF8-C284-4952-BD68-4E4F7A3066FB.jpeg

Vindibona1 likes this.

9. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-Talker

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    Those Epiphone’s are some really nice acoustics. I was blown away when I played one of these Epiphone’s and honestly I think their better than most Gibson’s I’ve played.

10. savofenno

savofenno Strat-O-Master

Feb 24, 2010
    Sweden
    Try Fender CP-100.

11. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    NerNer likes this.

12. Guitar0621

Guitar0621 Strat-Talk Member

May 24, 2017
    USA
    If cost isn't an issue, get a Collings. Bang for the buck imo is Larivee and Breedlove.

13. jimbojo

jimbojo Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    My first guitar was a cheap nylon string acoustic, and I have owned several over the years. My first steel string was an Epiphone Jumbo, nice guitar, loaned it to a kid from church, never got it back, Hahhahah. I have had entry level Martin's, Ovation, Fender and recently acquired 3 new(er) accoustics. I traded my beat up Martin DX in for a Taylor 150e 12 string, I also purchased a new Taylor 524ce because I did want a med to high end guitar, but in the procwss I also tried a used Larrivee OMV-3R and had to pick that up too. 1507731987064.jpg 1507731991668.jpg

14. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't totally disagree, but I think I would put it another way. If money isn't an issue CHECK OUT Collings. No doubt it is a great brand. I've played several and they just aren't quite my thing. In that price range I prefer Bourgeois or Santa Cruz. If money really isn't an issue- Olson. I'd fully agree that Larrivee is a great guitar for the price, particularly if you want an OM style guitar. While I've never personally bonded with any Yamaha or Takamine, these are also brands that get a lot of love from some folks.

If you play a lot of acoustics then you know what you like. And then it's a matter of opportunity meeting preparation when you're in the right place at the right time. I got really really lucky and very recently and got a killer deal on this gem:

F11A7519.JPG

15. jimbojo

jimbojo Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Here is a pic of my Fender Tim Armstrong, for an inexpensive guitar it sound great, must be I like Mahogany. 1507732284273.jpg

16. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    Here's mine, but I don't quite know what it is. No brand, no labels inside. Bought for $3 in Salvation Army, dirty and missing some strings and brought it back to life. It also has an old neck repair at the joint.

[​IMG]

Groovey and montemerrick like this.

17. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Yamaha. They make so many different styles at so many price points, that you're bound to find one to suit you. And I've never played one that wasn't great.

Old hands here will have heard this story before, but back in the 70s I bought an FG-160 from a friend - £40 complete with pickup. I thought it was an old junk guitar, then I went into a studio, used it for some rhythm tracks ... when I heard the playback, I realised how good it was. The pickup came off as I never used it, eventually got lent to someone and never came back. The guitar itself was lent to my niece for a couple of years. In the meantime I'd bought an Ovation electro-acoustic, so when Anna returned the Yammy, it got taken to my local music shop. The owner played it for two minutes, pulled a £50 note out of the till and handed it to me!

Few years later I went mad and bought a Martin, but quite honestly it didn't sound any better than the FG to my ears, so I sold it.

Guess what I've got now? A Yamaha FG-340. And a matching FG-720S 12-string.

Groovey likes this.

18. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

19. NerNer

NerNer Strat-Talk Member

Sep 22, 2017
    New York
    Groovey likes this.

20. Greg

Greg Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2017
    Atlanta area
    Acoustic were my first love then electric guitars, I always have at least one dreadnought around but prefer (and own) 000 sized guitars. Cost will be relative to a good guitar ( I prefer vintage) so be prepared to spend over 2K to 5K for a really good one, unless you choose the cheaper route with a TaXXXR or newer guitar or something to that effect.