1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Can you give me more info on this MIJ?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ChrisF, Jun 19, 2016.

1. ChrisF

ChrisF Strat-Talk Member

It's supposed to be a 1987, but I don't have any more details. I'd purchase it from a Pawn Shop.

The price is about 400€ (~460USD)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

It should be a Contemporary Strat, with a Kahler spider bridge perhaps?

ChrisF likes this.
  3. ChrisF

ChrisF Strat-Talk Member

I honestly have no idea at all.

I've always been a Gibson guy, but now I feel like getting a Strat. I think it would be a perfect partner for my LP traditional. What I'm really looking for is that classic and pure strat sound, and the playability that a strat can offer. I'd have my LP probably as my #1 guitar, but I'd probably end up using the strat more, if that makes sense at all. A guitar that I can take anywhere and don't have to worry about getting a dent on it, or cleaning it up after each use.

I'd like to get more details about this model. Do you guys think it's worth the stated price? What about it's sound compared to other Strats? I was considering going for a squier Classic vibe or a MIM strat, hell, I was even considering getting an American Standard, but then we'd be in the same situation, another pretty guitat that I wouldn't feel comfortable with it sleeping out of its case...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Unless you particularly want all the added complication of a fancy trem with a locking nut & fine tuners at the bridge, I would avoid that like the plague. Have you ever tried re-stringing a guitar with a locking nut? So unless you are someone who relies on heavy trem work for much of his playing style, I would advise you to keep looking.

5. Pete McC

Pete McC Senior Stratmaster

I had one of these back in the day, at the time I had a MIJ Squier 57 reissue style strat and the Squier blew it away in terms of tone and playability so I didn't keep the Fender. I didn't get on with the locking trem either although I didn't have it long enough to change strings, I did have a Charvel a few years later with a similar trem setup and it was a nightmare to change strings on... Other people like them so don't take anyone else's word for it, if it plays well and sounds good to you then it's your call, but that price is pretty close to the 'new' price back in 87

6. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Senior Stratmaster

I love Locking Trems, once you get the hang of them they are easy as hell to set up.

7. stratman323

Presumably this is because trem use is a big part of your playing technique, so it's worth all the added complication, to you?

8. Nick Evans

I like metal, classic / southern rock and blues. Variety is spice of life. I don't find them complicated just different.

9. stratman323

We are all entitled to our opinion, but I think that anyone who has restrung a Strat with a locking trem would agree that it's a lot more fiddly, time consuming & frustrating than restringing a Strat that doesn't have a locking trem.

So unless the OP is a big trem fan (as you are, but he gives no indication that he is), it seems like a reasonable conclusion that a locking trem is an unnecessary complication for the person who is enquiring. They were popular in the 80s but are almost unheard of these days, due to all the additional complications involved.

10. Nick Evans

I have been playing Les Paul's all my life it's only the 3 years I have gotten used to 25.5" scale length guitars. I now have 3 Fender style guitars, I would prefer to set up a Floyd to a vintage trem any day. They are more precise and stay in tune better.

11. stratman323

That is a very much a minority view.

12. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

A couple of years ago I bought a Wesley in a poor state, I thought I would try a Floyd Rose and Locking nut etc. I did all the repairs needed (mainly electronic) had a play with it and sold it immediately (good profit though) I just couldn't get on with the Floyd Rose. Just not for me not worth the extra effort.

13. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

I find setting up a floating trem to be about as much work as a Floyd Rose

my problem is I hated losing the allen key