Can you help me find my ideal strat?

tnipe

New Member!
Oct 7, 2022
Oslo
I'm thinking it's time for a new strat. My trusty old 2001 am. strat has been great, but being used to playing mainly a PRS Custom 24 with a thin neck has changed tastes as far as neck profiles go.

I'm basically looking for a strat like this:
- Vintage six screw bridge
- SSS setup (vol, tone, tone)
- A neck that is slightly slimmer than the modern C
- 1.650" nut width
- Not vintage radius

I can go the CS route, but it's expensive and they don't really offer slimmer necks than the modern C. Any ideas? Also open to other brands. Thanks!

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
I'm thinking it's time for a new strat. My trusty old 2001 am. strat has been great, but being used to playing mainly a PRS Custom 24 with a thin neck has changed tastes as far as neck profiles go.

- 1.650" nut width
- Not vintage radius

I can go the CS route, but it's expensive and they don't really offer slimmer necks than the modern C. Any ideas? Also open to other brands. Thanks!

The Schecter Nick Johnston Traditional checks some of your boxes but not others:
- SSS setup
- Neck slimmer than the Modern C - more at the first fret then at the 12th fret (.787" at the first fret and .866" at the 12th)
- 1.653" nut width
- 14" radius

What it doesn't have:
- Vol/tone/tone setup; it has a master tone
- Vintage six screw bridge - it has a 2 post trem that is more or less copy of the Gotoh

What it has you didn't ask for:
- Locking tuners
- Roasted maple neck (matching roasted maple board on black ones, ebony on all other colors)

I had one for about a year; I wound up selling it because the neck was just a bit too thin and too flat and I'm currently playing a Fender American Pro II.

Most PRS "thin" necks aren't too far off the Fender Modern C specs though - the Pattern Thin shape is supposed to be .828" at the first fret and .890" at the 12th fret and a Fender Modern C is supposed to be .820" at the first fret and .870" at the 12th fret.

wooders

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 19, 2021
Kent
Pick up a Peavey Predator for a steal and add pickups of choice. That will get you 12" radius and near where you want for peanuts. Otherwise, Schecter.

dirocyn

Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
An older Squier SE would also fit the bill. So would a Classic Vibe. Maybe even a MIM Standard.

6 screw bridge, 1.65" (42mm) nut and 9.5 radius on all of these. Try a few and you might find one that's a little slimmer than the others.

Machew

Strat-Talker
May 18, 2021
USA
Why don't you have Texas Toast make you the exact guitar you want? They seem like a great group of people to buy from.

tnipe

New Member!
Oct 7, 2022
Oslo
The Schecter Nick Johnston Traditional checks some of your boxes but not others:
- SSS setup
- Neck slimmer than the Modern C - more at the first fret then at the 12th fret (.787" at the first fret and .866" at the 12th)
- 1.653" nut width
- 14" radius

What it doesn't have:
- Vol/tone/tone setup; it has a master tone
- Vintage six screw bridge - it has a 2 post trem that is more or less copy of the Gotoh

What it has you didn't ask for:
- Locking tuners
- Roasted maple neck (matching roasted maple board on black ones, ebony on all other colors)

I had one for about a year; I wound up selling it because the neck was just a bit too thin and too flat and I'm currently playing a Fender American Pro II.

Most PRS "thin" necks aren't too far off the Fender Modern C specs though - the Pattern Thin shape is supposed to be .828" at the first fret and .890" at the 12th fret and a Fender Modern C is supposed to be .820" at the first fret and .870" at the 12th fret.
Interesting, I've tried this is a store. It was absolutely a nice guitar. I'll be installing locking tuners anyway, and a roasted maple neck is a plus. I'm though pretty set on a vintage bridge this time around, and a "classic" strat look.

My PRS is an older one, and the neck is a bit thinner than that. I can rest my thumb around the fretboard with that neck, and my tendonitis is gone for good! The Fender Modern C is too chunky now!

The Suhr Scott Henderson model is another choice I've been thinking about.

Regarding one tone pot, I can probably live with tone on the BP only, or get a stacked pot.

John C

Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
Interesting, I've tried this is a store. It was absolutely a nice guitar. I'll be installing locking tuners anyway, and a roasted maple neck is a plus. I'm though pretty set on a vintage bridge this time around, and a "classic" strat look.

My PRS is an older one, and the neck is a bit thinner than that. I can rest my thumb around the fretboard with that neck, and my tendonitis is gone for good! The Fender Modern C is too chunky now!

The Suhr Scott Henderson model is another choice I've been thinking about.

Regarding one tone pot, I can probably live with tone on the BP only, or get a stacked pot.

I should have asked the year of your PRS - yep the older ones were thinner. Sorry I don't remember exactly when PRS went to the current neck shape set - I think it was somewhere around 2010-2012.

Stratoman10

Dr. Stratster
Silver Member
Aug 24, 2015
Va. Beach, Va
I'm going to jump on the " just play a bunch of them " Bandwagon

Make sure you pick an actual guitar you really like and not just a set of specs. Yes, it's good to have the general idea in mind but don't be afraid to get out of your zone a bit and maybe surprise yourself with what you end up with

Machmood869

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 10, 2011
New Jersey
As mentioned the CV strat is thinner then modern C, other then that not many thinner necks.

I’d say get an aftermarket neck for your strat and it will be a new guitar. Either Warmoth, MK, or mighty mite makes a killer 9.5-12 compound radius neck for under $200

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania

- 1.650" nut width
- Not vintage radius

Build / assemble your own.

Strat it up

Strat-Talk Member
May 10, 2018
Greece
My

- 1.650" nut width
- Not vintage radius

My CS61 reissue has a thinner C profile than my old 1996 Am Standard!!! If you can find one to play do it.
It also has 9,5 inch radius and 6 screws trem bridge. It came with CS60 alnico II pickups and it’s the softest feel guitar I’ve ever played!

partscaster

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mars: sector 6
As mentioned the CV strat is thinner then modern C, other then that not many thinner necks.

I’d say get an aftermarket neck for your strat and it will be a new guitar. Either Warmoth, MK, or mighty mite makes a killer 9.5-12 compound radius neck for under $200
I agree. Also, at Stratosphere you can get Fender licensed Allparts MIJ (Nagano) strat necks of varying contour spec for about 120$, unfinished. Rub a little Tru Oil on them, good to go. Same Fender shaped headstocks, good fretwork, contour choices ( I love the soft-v). etc.