Can you identify these pickups?

StratPlus97

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 7, 2016
USA
This may be a tough one, and I’m not even sure it’s possible. Yes, these are the only photos and info I have. This person thought these pickups were the John Mayer pickups which I know they are NOT. Any thoughts?

61f1bb929359055123c8fe9cda6f3423.jpg
6133716268f21877dcf6f91b0827ab43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
This may be a tough one, and I’m not even sure it’s possible. Yes, these are the only photos and info I have. This person thought these pickups were the John Mayer pickups which I know they are NOT. Any thoughts?

61f1bb929359055123c8fe9cda6f3423.jpg
6133716268f21877dcf6f91b0827ab43.jpg

Super cheapie asian import alnico pickups with tape and handwritten JM in sharpie - garbage.

Do they even work? it almost looks like they're Squier type cheap pickups with the ceramic bar removed, and if so they wouldn't work.....

They would have DC readings and pass the screwdriver test but they wouldn't output any sound / signal from the strings without being magnetized.....

100% for sure not from any Fender guitar.....

blille

Strat-Talker
Platinum Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2016
California
If you remove the blue tape there may be a fender code underneath. If not it’s gonna be hard.

But yes, not very promising.

StratPlus97

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 7, 2016
USA
Super cheapie asian import alnico pickups with tape and handwritten JM in sharpie - garbage.

Do they even work? it almost looks like they're Squier type cheap pickups with the ceramic bar removed, and if so they wouldn't work.....

They would have DC readings and pass the screwdriver test but they wouldn't output any sound / signal from the strings without being magnetized.....

Perfect thank you

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

Possible someone bought alnico slugs and converted squier bobbins from ceramic and steel to alnico. or they just knocked off the ceramic and fake 'em from there.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Possible someone bought alnico slugs and converted squier bobbins from ceramic and steel to alnico. or they just knocked off the ceramic and fake 'em from there.
My first thought, but in that case, the bottom of the slugs would be clean.
These are covered with the same glue that is on the rest of the bottom that secured the ceramic bars.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal

Those magnets are genuine Leaveemrite

Leave em right where they are.

TimTheViking

Strat-Talker
Feb 14, 2019
Virgina
If the ceramics were removed, the pole pieces would only have a bit of residual magnetism in them so it would be immediately evident if you touched them with anything iron.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk