Can't buy Vox...just because of its ugly logo

joebtone

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Jan 26, 2022
Northwest US
Untitled 2022-02-24 at 7.19.09 PM.jpg

Every time I look at a Vox amp — either in the store on in a catalog — I’m turned off.
Yes, I know Vox has a history of making great amps (and other gear), but I’m sorry: I just can’t get past that u-g-l-y logo. It looks plastic-y cheap. And a logo like that just makes me think that the amp itself is cheaply made.
And that brings me to the larger question: How much does looks factor into your decision to buy or not buy gear? I have to admit it’s an important part of my thinking: If I can’t like the design of something, I won’t buy it.
It’s the same reasoning/emotional reaction that goes into some people buying or not buying a Porsche vs. a Ferrari or a Chevy pickup vs. a Ford
How about you? Please let’s not let this thread become hijacked by pix of ugly guitars, but…is there a piece of gear you just can’t learn to like because of its looks?

If bagpipes are played through an amp , it would be a Vox.
They just look bagpipy.

Jim Carl

Strat-Talker
Jan 20, 2021
Colorado
I personally like the way Vox amps look, classic. They were designed in the late 50's/ early 60's, a very stylish period in time. Look at the way people dressed back then or the cars that were designed. Lots of good taste to go around.
In contrast, most of the things that are designed today look sterile, like they were designed by accountants.

Ever meet a beautiful woman and find out she has a rotten personality, the next time you look at her she does not appear so attractive. Then meet a rather plain looking woman with a great personality, the next time you see her she seems so much more attractive.
Amps, or other gear can be the same. Looks, functionality, and tone are all part of the total package. Vox amps sound great, if they didn't I might find them ugly as well.

One last thought, when I was putting my guitar/ music lounge together I considered the color I would be painting the walls. I have a Fender amp in yellow tweed, an Orange amp in orange tolex (obviously), a Marshal (black and brass), and my Vox ac15c1 (black with brass trim). So what would be the best background color to show off my amps, navy blue seemed to be the obvious choice with forest green coming in second.
I went with navy blue and all of my amps look great.

If you don't like the look of Vox amps, just paint your room a different color!

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
I just can’t get past that u-g-l-y logo. .
And that brings me to the larger question: How much does looks factor into your decision to buy or not buy gear?
I've read the whole thread, and I do understand your point. I don't want gear that I find aesthetically unattractive either - unless it plays and sounds SO good I don't care anymore.

Everyone has their POV on this subject, ranging from both extremes.

Here's my take, similar to a couple of posts:

If it sounded amazing then I’d remove it.
Not a bad idea! Others have that idea, just remove the plastic log. Keep it, though, like the ashtray for your Tele or the covers on your P bass.

And the idea that until you USE one, especially at rehearsal or a gig, you'll never know if it's for you.

As for myself - i prefer the sound of classic Fender amps with 6L6 or 6V6 tubes, so I am not a Vox or Marshall fan - never owned any of those amps. I ahve owned some Peavey workhorses, despite the less-than-cool looks - but they delivered year after year no matter what.

Try it and then decide what to do.

Deafsoundguy

CERTIFIED HACK
Silver Member
Mar 6, 2020
Area 51
Kind of veering off the thread, but in regards to Peavey, as a sound company there is one line that has been more ubiquitous than any other statement. I’ve seen a million tech riders. And the one thing that is the most common is the line “NO PEAVEY”.

So you have to wonder, just how much of that is actual sound concerns or does that name just personify cheap and Fugly?

I will admit I’m guilty of not buying Yorkville gear for the longest time based on the name alone. I mean it might as well say Mr Haney and be made in Green Acres 👨‍🌾. But I finally started buying it because it was good gear and their analog processors are actually brilliant. They’ve been very reliable and most of their upper end stuff had high end Italian drivers inside.

SalvorHardin

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 1, 2020
Windsor Ontario
Untitled 2022-02-24 at 7.19.09 PM.jpg

Every time I look at a Vox amp — either in the store on in a catalog — I’m turned off.
Yes, I know Vox has a history of making great amps (and other gear), but I’m sorry: I just can’t get past that u-g-l-y logo. It looks plastic-y cheap. And a logo like that just makes me think that the amp itself is cheaply made.
And that brings me to the larger question: How much does looks factor into your decision to buy or not buy gear? I have to admit it’s an important part of my thinking: If I can’t like the design of something, I won’t buy it.
It’s the same reasoning/emotional reaction that goes into some people buying or not buying a Porsche vs. a Ferrari or a Chevy pickup vs. a Ford
How about you? Please let’s not let this thread become hijacked by pix of ugly guitars, but…is there a piece of gear you just can’t learn to like because of its looks?
No! I'll leave it at that. I'd be single if judged on my looks.

Frank Roberts

Strat-Talk Member
May 3, 2006

“Can't buy Vox...just because of its ugly logo”​

You are letting your visual aesthetic rule in an audible medium. Your choice. I’d call that the MTV effect.

Last edited:

JB74

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 22, 2018
ɹǝpunuʍop
Beautiful looking amps you have there!
Why Thank-you.
I've been a fortunate lad over the years to enjoy a love-hate relationship with amps.
They love to hate me and I hate to let them go to new homes.

There's a 72/3 SF Quad Reverb behind those twins, waiting for grillecloth and cosmetic finishing.
and I didn't show the SC120R.
edit: I htink the pics can upload now

This thing has 6 bottles. e34L jj's and it is a frickin monster.
IMG_5804.jpeg

SIngles Forever

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 14, 2019
Montreal
The body shape of a PRS guitar has always put me off. They dress 'em up with beautiful finishes and are said to have the most excellent playability but that shape is just too unappealing to me.

Any guitar with the sharp Jackson-style headstock is also not within my taste. To me, it suggests the only style of music the owner plays is heavy metal. I realize that is not a bad thing for many folks, and it's also not true overall, but just not my thing.

I gotta remember these for the airing of grievances portion of this year's Festivus celebrations.

it's for the rest of us.

Houdi Elbow

Strat-O-Master
Aug 9, 2021
UK
I've had 2 of the Vox AC15C1 amps... and hated them both. No matter what guitar I plugged in (single coils, mini HB, P-90s, and various HB guitars, there was way way too much treble out of both, so I learned my lesson with Vox... leave Vox to the Beatles, haha.

Yes, there is gear that turns me off by it's looks, like this Dean headstock... it just rubs me the wrong way and is to me "gawdy"...
I 'm with you on the Dean headstock. I' ve been gassing for a Dean Michael Scenker vee for a while now. Still in two minds, but damn it, that headstock is soooooo ugly.
As for the Vox logo, it wouldn't put me off buying a Vox amp at all. As long as the amp suited me, I'd go with it. Looks iconic I reckon.