Cant find use of bridge pick up

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by doublechinmask, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

I think it an aural preference that the player “blames” on the bridge pickup. I’m probably guilty of that.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

That's odd I find I'm on the bridge 50% of the time, 2 gets used a lot too then neck is my 3rd choice, I can't keep up well enough to use everything else with regularity lol

Stevn likes this.
  3. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

images.jpeg

slowesthand and BuddyHollywood like this.
  4. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

This sketch illustrates some options for assigning two tones to three pickups.

Personally, I like the look of the one in the bottom right. I haven't tried it in practice, however.

Of course, there's another option, where you don't assign any tones to individual pickups at all, having just a master tone, and, if you want it, a neck blender.

Another option is to use one tone as a bass cut, the other as a treble cut, but both of those will be covered in future episodes.

STRAT 5-WAY SWITCH TONE OPTIONS.jpg

abown and BuddyHollywood like this.
  5. Highway Chile

Highway Chile Strat-Talker

I treat Strats and Teles exactly the same -- each of them has three switch positions (and only three positions) and I use all three of them. I love the bridge pickup position on Strats, and I play that position almost as much as the neck (5) position and middle (3) position. All of the Strats that I've owned have had the tone control wired to the bridge pickup. That's helpful, but I've played plenty of Strats that don't have it and I can still get along with the bridge pickup.

Because I always play with at least some amp or pedal distortion going on, I do not like the 2 and 4 in-between positions (those positions are very nice for the clinical clean sounds, especially with a compressor, but I play rock and blues that is never clean). I used the 2 and 4 positions occasionally was when I played in gigging bands to cut the Strat hum if the middle was RWRP. Otherwise, I have zero use for them and the only time I use them is when my strumming hand knocks the selector from position 5 to position 4.

The_Whale likes this.
  6. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker Silver Member

Keep a screwdriver on top of your amp and keep adjusting it a 1/4 turn at a time until it sounds best.

It can take a long time, and a lot of adjustments, but it's usually worth the effort.

7. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

I like it for crunch, rhythm with the tone turned down. Even clean chords with the tone way down sounds pretty cool, like it's being played from a distance.

Stevn likes this.
  8. gaddis

gaddis Senior Stratmaster

I use it a lot, but you need to have a tone control on it. It’s a simple matter to add a jumper that will allow the middle pickup’s tone control to also work on the bridge pickup.

9. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

That pup (bridge) has tone control in this house! If you have no tone connected to bridge as with many strats, things are different.

My preferred wiring is JV- neck and bridge to tone, and no tone on middle pickup.

OP, which wiring is on your Strat?

10. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Strat-Talker

How about not having a bridge pickup at all? Motoko "Motifour" Kida of the Japanese band tricot doesn't have a bridge pickup on her Strat style Altero guitar.

11. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

#4 works, I tried it out this morning. It's a bit odd, but it works.

12. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

I use the bridge pickup quite a bit. Its good for crunchy rhythm work like La Grange, and it can give you extra oomph for solos.

13. doublechinmask

doublechinmask Strat-Talk Member

Its stock wiring of 2015 Am std.Bridge pick up is wired directly to bottom tone control.Fat 50s pickups I think.Still sounds shrill on full tone played clean.When I roll the tone down it sounds ok but then i prefer pos 3 or 5 over it.

Crunchy with tone rolled below 5 sounds pleasant and I use it sometimes.

For cleans I find 5 superior both for rhythm and solo ☹️.

I ll have to go with advice above and adjust my EQ pedal to work with bridge pu only xD

14. Crazybayman

Crazybayman Strat-Talker

I have all HSS and use my bridge pup all the time.

If I had SSS, I would probably use my bridge pup far less.

15. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

Listen to ‘Lenny’ from SRV. He switches to the bridge at the 3:06 mark. It makes for a neat change in mood/feel during a solo.

I use mine in a similar way. I just see it as another colour on the Strat palette. If you are using a particularly bright amp tone, the tone knob helps tame it.

jd35801, Hydr0 and publius like this.
  16. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talker

It can twang!

17. publius

publius Strat-Talker

I have heard tell ( as may have already been mentioned here ,there, or somewhere ) of wiring the ole Strat to fire up the bridge and neck together....... sorta the tele thang. I have no issues with any pickups or combo selections of same. bring it on. come and take it. &c and so forth.

18. publius

publius Strat-Talker

+1 on the Lenny thing could well be possibly my favorite SRV tune. I was just a few feet from him when he sat down to play it at the former Golden Bear in Huntington Beach, Ca.( RIP Stevie and Golden Bear) August 23, 1983. Lenny is / was Mrs. Stevie.

SRV_atgoldenbear.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    jd35801 likes this.
  19. GlockandRoll

GlockandRoll Strat-Talk Member

I've always considered the strat bridge pickup an abomination and have tried everything and prefer a low output PAF style bridge HB with the nickle cover paired with higher output neck and middle like TX specials, Fraylin vintage hot, etc. I think the nickle cover looks perfect next to the tren also, like it was meant to be there. I also like a Gilmore switch or even better, a blender pot.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  20. RussV

RussV Senior Stratmaster

Unlike the neck, it doesn't sound great on its own but that changes when heard with other instruments. I noticed on the Jeff Beck Live in Tokyo video he switches to the bridge for solos quite often.

BuddyHollywood likes this.