Capacitor question

DUSTER44T

Strat-Talker
Mar 11, 2014
North Huntingdon, Pa.
Does anyone turn their tone all the way down when they use a 47ish cap in their guitar? Do you have any use for that muffled sound from using that number of a cap? I kinda shy away from those higher numbers and try to stick with a 15 or even a 22. To me it makes it sound as if you put a pillow in front of your amp. What are your thoughts? Do you like, not like? What do you use?

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
I typically only use .047s on humbucker equipped guitars. Even then I don't turn them all the way down. On most stats I tend to use .022 or .033 caps and like to use B taper pots to find that sweet spot easier.

Last edited:

TheWorldsAStage

Strat-Talker
Nov 10, 2018
Kentucky
I use .022s except my AV 65 which has a .1. I use my tone controls but haven't yet found rolling them all the way down to be useful for me.

Last edited:

Chicago Matt

Strat-O-Master
Sep 24, 2014
Woodstock
I use the .047 caps on my Teles, but I never turn the knob near all the way down - unusable mud. I like being able to get all the tones I need from full open to still usable darker without having to turn the pot too far as I'm playing. It's just what I'm used to I guess.

Bakelite1

Strat-Talker
Nov 26, 2020
Vancouver BC
My pickups are bright, even with the tone on zero. I get a Cello like tone.

If I can't get this happening, I try a treble bleed. I turn the volume down a bit to isolate highs. This is less boomy once you find the right one. Fifties wiring is another way to go but it seems non intuitive to some people.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Even a .022 gets dark enough. But, the value also changes the curve of the tone control, so vis-a-vis your pot value and pickups, you might like a .033. Beyond that seems non-helpful.

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
My favorite tone controls use a .1 uF cap and a 500k pot. That can go from too bright to too dark with all the tasty stuff in between. Just turn it until you hear what you want to hear. I'll admit I rarely turn it all the way down, or all the way up for that matter.

A quick internet search says Fender used .1uF tone caps until 1969. So anybody who turns the tone all the way down on a pre-69 Fender. Clapton's "woman tone" is nothing but the tone turned all the way down.

Chipss36

Strat-O-Master
Oct 1, 2018
Texas
The value effect much more than just turning the tone to 10 or 0.

smaller values will have less cut vrs throw on the pot, larger value more.

I use .1 paper wax phone book caps,
Made by luxe. They look the part, and work like any pre cbs strat would. But honestly mostly because they look so cool. And I am an electronics geek.

I use volume and tone constantly.
As I get older I find myself more and more sensitive to how my guitar is sitting in the mix.
And finding time to make the tonal changes but keep time. An area I am still learning to get good at.

I think dynamics is a lost art form today.

Or so I think…lol

zozoe

Strat-Talker
Dec 19, 2018
Florida
Hi,, As odd as it might sounds, I use some PIo'S that I hand pick & set aside the ones from .005 to .007 & depending on the pups & pots, I get a decent amount of Tone cut with a nice wah-like quack going on, & it's all I use in all my guitars & ready-to-go pickguards...
.01's, .022's & above serve no use whatsoever,,, waaay to dark......

Last edited: