Car crusin' in the 80's?

oatsoda

Puck of Paradox
Jul 10, 2011
The Shack, Nova Scotia
Were a lot of cool cars in the '80s, but I didn't have one. My folks had a '74 beetle that I got to drive pretty much whenever. I paid the insurance, and upkeep. Was so nice to have that freedom that wheels bring, even if it was slow. I paid Earl Schieb 69.95 to spray a $h!tty coat of sunfire metallic paint over the white that it was. They did a poo tape job and there was overspray everywhere, glass, tires, etc. Put in an am/fm cassette, pioneer speakers in the doors, and a pair of generic from Pacific Stereo 6x9s in the little back cubby. Was da bomb. Then after high school, bought my own VW, a '78 bus. Turd brown with white top. Ripped out the middle seats, put in orange shag carpet and a bean bag chair. Cassette player with auto reverse, graphic eq mounted down below the dash, and more speakers than the power wanted to push. Got into a lot of high quality trouble in that bus...

AncientAx

Still hacking ....
Nov 24, 2010
Maryland
My car cruisin’ days were in the 70’s . I had a 68’ Cutlass Supreme but the best times were when my Pops would let me drive his 65’ Buick Wildcat , the old man loved that car and so did I ! Rag top with 445 cubic inches and 400 turbo tranny , she would roll ! Style and power !

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
During the mid 80's I was in college in a small town in central Missouri. Cruising was part of our culture. I had a 1977 BMW 530i sedan with a great stereo, which was reliable and rode nice, so we took that for the longer road trips 100+ miles to go to Columbia or St. Louis to party. Mine was Gun Metal Gray
3.JPG

My buddy Dave had a ~72 Cutlass 2 door which was a cool car, but his stereo sucked balls and he was "Classic Rock" fan so we usually jammed Styx, REO, etc.
1384186595.jpg

My buddy Robert had some huge 70's muscle type car with a killer stereo and we both liked the hard rock/metal - I can remember jamming Ratt "out of the Cellar" at least weekly. Robert and I would cruise the streets almost daily. It looked similar to this, but he had huge back tires.
07COLL2-jumbo.jpg

I had one other buddy Jim who had a hopped up 69 Mustang (kind of like the one below, but with a lot of primer). I think it had an AM radio at best, but that car could run.
1969-ford-mustang-fastback-r-code
I had to do a double take on that 1969 Mustang. My uncle that I mentioned earlier that had the bikes also still has his '69 Boss 429 Mustang that he bought brand new and drove out of the showroom himself.
e75ab9ed61ede7550a50727117eda7c1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mikej89

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2016
River Falls, WI
I had to do a double take on that 1969 Mustang. My uncle that I mentioned earlier that had the bikes also still has his '69 Boss 429 Mustang that he bought brand new and drove out of the showroom himself.
e75ab9ed61ede7550a50727117eda7c1.jpg

That car is worth as much as an average house nowadays... Too valuable to enjoy.

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
That car is worth as much as an average house nowadays... Too valuable to enjoy.
He's turned down offers of that much. He's also told me that if the offers keep getting bigger he might not be able to keep saying no.

mikej89

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2016
River Falls, WI
My car cruisin’ days were in the 70’s . I had a 68’ Cutlass Supreme but the best times were when my Pops would let me drive his 65’ Buick Wildcat , the old man loved that car and so did I ! Rag top with 445 cubic inches and 400 turbo tranny , she would roll ! Style and power !

445 Wildcat refers to the torque, I believe it's a 410ci... Buick did that back then so it's easy to confuse.

WhiteWabbit

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 6, 2014
Canada
Most millennials romanticize the 80's, I'm probably worse. I just like good music that's not rap and women with class that don't have 100 tattoos.
Most millennials love rap and women with tattoos. Can we stop the generalizations? And the women with class thing is just a very tasteless thing to say IMO.

newplayeroldguy

in the wind
May 12, 2015
north and east
It was fun to drive ! First new car my father ever bought . He was born in the depression era so buying a new car was a Big Deal .
my dad (also a depression kid) always drove Electras- I remember his '68, which was the first year with the new engine- a 430 c.i. with bigger valves and 360hp- it was more power with better mileage than the old nailheads. Sadly, a couple of years later the smog engines arrived, and performance went the way of the dodo.

EDIT- my bad, 1967 was the first year for the 430

Last edited: