carpentry question: replacing a front door

Deafsoundguy

CERTIFIED HACK
Silver Member
Mar 6, 2020
Area 51
Is this a serious question and the picture as the challenge? :p

Okay assuming it’s a serious question, if you have never done that before at your (our) age, I would recommend having someone else do it.

Yes prehung door. You will need a whole new pack of shims. I’d use screws and not nails and fill screw holes. With screws you can back out the screw if the door isn’t sitting right. To get it perfect is harder than it looks like and one needs to get the screw/nail placement just right. It’s a real trick to get a door in perfect and have the small gap equally around the door to door frame. I’ve done it about 50 times. And remember that the frame needs to be exact in regards to at least one side, (usually the front ) so your trim can be perfect all the way around.

If you’re mechanically inclined or wood builder kind of guy go for it, but I wouldn’t suggest it if you’re not.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
Hanging doors is oddly challenging to seemingly most carpenters.
They may not realize it though?
Ive hung easily over 1000 doors as well as observed doors others hung and find far too many are improperly done resulting in the door not fitting in a year or a month.
Carpentry used to require years of training but in the 21st C it only requires a pickup truck, van or Hinda Civic.
Dismal I tells ya!

Now that my back is shot (hanging steel doors ate partly the cause) I do maintenance at a seaside hotel property.
Top local carpenters rebuilt two buildings and gut rehabbed the rest. Those damn doors keep having fitment problems.

Buying exterior doors is also surprisingly risky.
Many are so poorly made that they fail a variety of ways in a year or two.
Ive restored 150 yo houses with all original doors still working, or repaired the old doors for another 100 years of service.

wooders

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 19, 2021
Kent
If you know nothing of such things, find someone reputable to do it. Get them round before you order anything.
A door is a door. Different ironmongery, different materials etc, but it's still just a door.

s5tuart

Perfecting time travel since 2525
Aug 8, 2011
All over the place!
I'm quite good at most jobs around the home, including plumbing and electrickery but I've never got a door as good as I'd like it. Front doors are even more challenging.
If I needed one I'd get one of those steel security doors and have it hung by the company I bought it from.

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
I've hung a few doors, but I'd never do a front door though. They're usually much heavier than internal door, and if you mess it up, you could have a security risk while it's sorted. More likely, the seal won't be as good as it could be, meaning cold and draughts can get in.

Impulsive guppy

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 9, 2020
Springfield
Your job now will be to spec it out.
What kind of lockset, peep hole or camera, insulated, steel or wood, etc.
get a lockset re-keyed to match the other doors.
I like the handles that are like a flipper instead of traditional.

Miotch

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 28, 2011
ok
When I hung the current front door on my home, I discovered termites and ended up jacking up the second floor and tearing out 12-feet of wall, installing all new studs, plates and, or course, the door. This actually made installing the new door a bit easier, because I could frame it perfectly for the door. I basically framed that section of the house around the new door. Another one of those "OMG" moments in a homeowners life.

circles

Resident Pinball Enthusiast
May 26, 2013
West Seattle
When I hung the current front door on my home, I discovered termites and ended up jacking up the second floor and tearing out 12-feet of wall, installing all new studs, plates and, or course, the door. This actually made installing the new door a bit easier, because I could frame it perfectly for the door. I basically framed that section of the house around the new door. Another one of those "OMG" moments in a homeowners life.
This. This is what is in the back of my mind in this 60 year old house. Often when I peel back a layer to do something, it reveals issues. I call this a Frankenstien house due to each generations of unrelated modifications. I'm thinking/hoping this should be pretty straightforward though.