Carr Skylark or Tone King Imperial MKii

Jpaw

New Member!
Jul 16, 2022
Mansfield, CT
Which one would you choose and why?

I’m trying to find something that can do clean to overdriven at low volumes. Versatile and reliable. Clean tone matters more to me than overdriven tones. I look forward to hearing everyone’s input.

Thanks

gleesonjf

New Member!
Jan 4, 2022
STL
I can't speak to the Carr, but I got an Imperial for that same reason and because of the built in attenuator. I love it. I don't even need pedals to get a variety of cool sounds at various volumes.

2010cb

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Nov 21, 2020
NY
We had it down to those two and went with the Tone King Imperial Mkii in the end. It is used for in-home practicing (attenuated) and gigs (less attenuated or unattenuated). There are 5 levels of attenuation (other than zero), which we have found useful depending on the gig.

I don’t have anything negative to say re Carr though. We just didn’t have one local to try out. For what it is worth I think the Carr looks cooler. Especially as I have an old Buick from the 60s.

Jpaw

New Member!
Jul 16, 2022
Mansfield, CT
I can't speak to the Carr, but I got an Imperial for that same reason and because of the built in attenuator. I love it. I don't even need pedals to get a variety of cool sounds at various volumes.
That’s great to hear. I must say that the two channels and tremolo are very enticing. The Carr is a sharp looking amp, so I think I have to agree with you @2010cb but the Tone King isn’t bad looking either.

touch of gray

Strat-O-Master
Jul 10, 2022
Bismarck, ND
Which one would you choose and why?

I’m trying to find something that can do clean to overdriven at low volumes. Versatile and reliable. Clean tone matters more to me than overdriven tones. I look forward to hearing everyone’s input.

Thanks
Hard to go wrong with either. The reverb on the Tone King doesn’t get the best of reviews, but that wouldn’t bother me that much. My only concern with either would be them keeping up in a loud band or larger gig. I guess the solution to that is buy both and run them together!

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
Based upon specs as a blind order, I'm going with a 20W Tone King over a 12W Carr Skylark. They both have attenuators, but the Tone King's might be more versatile. The money is about the same. If it was the 35W Sky King vs the 44W Impala, the advantage shifts to Carr ?

Last edited:

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
I was looking st the imperial in April but ended up with a Two Rock Bloomfield Drive. It’s master volume is incredible and sounds great on 1 or 10. I did buy a Tone King Gremlin last month. I neede a light weight combo to grab to go jam. The attenuator is cool.

Latest posts