Join Strat-Talk Today

Carver and his stupid banjo

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by carver, Aug 6, 2019.

1. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-Talker

I want one. I can't finger pick but it looks like you don't need to to have fun. Nice job! ;)

carver likes this.
  2. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Very cool! Post another, soon?

Same here, although it’s still on layaway for a bit. o_O

carver likes this.
  3. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster

Vintage tenor banjos (1920's-1940s) are all over ebay and often a decent one can be had for less than $500. Biggest problem is that most of those will have 1:1 tuners (which are a PITA). Figure on spending another $120 on decent geared tuners to replace them. A new head is pretty cheap. Strings are still available in a wide variety.

Of course, well-known trade names like "Gibson" will usually drive the price up over $1000...same for just about any banjo with a resonator.

Tunings are all over the map, of course. Originally they were all tuned in 5ths (CGDA) but now there are lots of variations. GDAE is common for Irish-trad players. DAEB is getting more common (CGDA tuned up 2 frets, with requisite string diameter changes). Baritone Uke tuning (DGBE) is possible and it matches the tuning of the treble strings of the guitar...which makes it easy for guitar players.

I have seen at least one swapped over to nylon strings. It would be a bit mellower and would need some bridge/nut work due to the larger diameter strings. I never heard it played but I strummed it for a second or two. That would probably be really good for Uke style...and you wouldn't have to buy geared tuners. Hey! I have one sitting out that would be a great candidate for that. Weekend project!

4. Uncle Jimmy

Uncle Jimmy Senior Stratmaster

You are in for a treat!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.