Case humidification - What's your pleasure?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by StratUp, Sep 29, 2021.

1. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

I have two guitars I need to humidify, an electric and an acoustic. Both live in cases when not being played. Living in a hot climate where A/C is used most of the time so they are overly dry. Spent the previous two years in the desert where they got ever drier, so they're probably still trying to recover. Controlling the room humidification is not an option.

What do you like for case humidification? I have used the "sponge in a bag with holes" option but obviously it's uncontrolled. Also, I worry a bit about the bag accidentally getting in the wrong spot and causing water damage to a guitar.

What have you tried and liked (or not)?

2. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

For my two acoustics, I have always used the little plastic case with a sponge inside that fits through the sound hole and is held in place by the strings.. I rewet the sponge once a week and keep a humidity monitor in each case so I can check them regularly. I think they work well for a cheap option.
    For all of my electrics, I keep them in their hard shell cases standing up in a line and keep that small room between 40 to 50% humidity with room size humidifiers. I keep small monitors in the cases and even though the "thermal/humidity" saturation question is something that I don't really understand, the inside of the cases always reflect the humidity of the room. I don't know why, but it works for me. Of course living in a fairly constant humidity state makes a lot of difference too.

sjtalon and StratUp like this.
  3. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Senior Stratmaster

I'm a desert dweller myself. I have been using the planet waves humidipaks with good results for the 10 years that I have lived here. I have them in both acoustic cases.

4. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

imwo - you need to know what the RH is in the case to start with.

A weather station and remotes work well for me. I keep one of these in an acoustic case. Fits nicely under the neck heel.

I have an older version of this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FX8ZGOO/?tag=strattalk05-20

As far a humidification, I'll use a basic room humidifier during the driest winter days. I do not use in-case humidifiers.

IMG0420.jpg

5. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

Yup, take a plastic soap bar case, drill some holes in it and insert a DAMP sponge.

StratUp likes this.
  6. Caddy

Caddy Strat-O-Master

I use various manufactured and homemade humidifiers for my acoustics. Never have seen any need to humidify electrics. Has worked for me since 1957.

7. StratUp

Hmm... sounds better than the baggie with holes I've tried. May try that.

8. StratUp

Yeah, but do you have any long term test results?