CD vs wave vs vinyl

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
I so wish I still had good enough hearing to really tell the difference!

There are no major reasons why a WAV file should sound any different to an Audio CD at the same spec, although a WAV could actually be recorded at the higher resolutions demanded by the motion picture industry. (Sorry, you specifically said not to go there. :whistling:)

Although I still have a turntable and vinyl records, I haven't listened to them much in decades. It's the performance of the amp and speakers that jumps out to me. If I route a CD from our kitchen system to our home theater set-up, that's a massive difference.

blille

Strat-Talker
Platinum Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2016
California
I like vinyl out of nostalgia but I read an interview with the incredible Rudy Van Geldee where he said he was ecstatic to remaster his tracks to digital because vinyl sucks. After that I stopped acting like a snob and just listen to any format and have fun :)

montemerrick

no earthly reason why
Apr 13, 2015
300 miles from anywhere.
i love vinyl and have no plans on replacing my collection ever again. CDs become trash found in the gutter in a way that vinyl never does...

i'm not up on the ethereal formats.

i listen to lots of music on the computer though... youtube soundcloud etc... and like Simon said, the amp and speakers mean more than anything... running through computer speakers is only slightly better than through the phone.

Strums

Strat-O-Master
Feb 27, 2014
Section 43
A good recording sounds best to me - whether it's on vinyl or CD. I have vinyl that sounds thin and lifeless and vinyl that sounds warm and full. I have CDs that are spatial and smooth and CDs that will make your ears bleed.

That's why audio sites have "best recording" recommendations for an album - whether it's on vinyl or CD.
They are worth checking out.

Last edited:

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA
Let's start with
Beggars(me)can't be choosers...
But
Like @simoncroft said
My hearing is mostly gone
Due to
Drag racing
Motocross racing
Standing in front of speakers at concerts
Explosions at work
And
Born with a ton ear....
Everything sounds good...
But
Live is best

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
I'm still buy CDs.I think it's still cheaper used than buying files.I do no t know if CDs sound better than files.Im too old to always having to change formats etc.Its a scam and get off my lawn.

I don't know how it is where you are, but people don't walk to high-street shops the way they used to over here. They buy on-line, or drive out of town. As businesses have closed, we have a lot of 'charity shops' in the high-streets, selling goods they've been given to help raise money.

Sometimes, I rifle through them, buy an album for maybe £2, then give it back to the shop after I've ripped it to my computer. OK, I've technically deprived an artist and their label of a small amount of royalties, but if it helps a cancer charity, I'm not too bothered.

JB74

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 22, 2018
ɹǝpunuʍop
If any of you are ever in Colorado, I humbly suggest you visit a little shack called PS Audio. This company makes an extreme hifi which reveals things you never even thought you could hear.

Oh, and Paul also just happens to have a pair of Infinity IRS-V line sources. And he worked with Arnold Nudell - bless his soul, arguably the finest pair of hi-fi ears in generations.

Suggest you try the SACD version of Dark side of the Moon for starters, when you're there.

Then try and find a pair of IRS-V's for less than 50K.

and take out a second mortgage on the house for all the equipment you need to properly drive them ;)

Makes a live show ticket seem dirt cheap, AND an unbeatable experience.

telepraise

Strat-O-Master
Feb 20, 2019
Tampa Bay
When I reinvested in an analog stereo system a few years back, I chanced upon an Onkyo CD deck with Wolfram D/A converters and sprung for it. I like CDs as they don't wear out and get scratchy like LPs with wear. Depending on the mastering, a WAVV file will sound as good or better than a CD, but I like having the physical CD to play on my stereo and in case something goes wonky with the computer.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
If any of you are ever in Colorado, I humbly suggest you visit a little shack called PS Audio. This company makes an extreme hifi which reveals things you never even thought you could hear.

Oh, and Paul also just happens to have a pair of Infinity IRS-V line sources. And he worked with Arnold Nudell - bless his soul, arguably the finest pair of hi-fi ears in generations.

Suggest you try the SACD version of Dark side of the Moon for starters, when you're there.

Then try and find a pair of IRS-V's for less than 50K.

and take out a second mortgage on the house for all the equipment you need to properly drive them ;)

Makes a live show ticket seem dirt cheap, AND an unbeatable experience.

The degree to which I do not care how things sound on 50k speakers is immeasurable.