CE-2W or Walrus Julia or......

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Voxman, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

I'm looking at getting a chorus pedal, and has anyone compared these two?

How does the MXR Analog Chorus compare in sound?

Thx

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I tried the CE 2W and Analog Chorus and bought the MXR. The Boss did that awesome 80’s CE 2 sound and did it perfectly but, that’s is really all it did. I know it does the CE 1 too but it’s not too different sounding. It still has the CE mid hump. It pairs well with my Princeton but not so much with my 5e3. The MXR can dial in better for any amp for me with the bass and treble knobs.

Chipss36 likes this.
  3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I've had a chubby for the Julia for awhile. I'm just too dam cheap

Roca81 and stevierayfan91 like this.
  4. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

There are SO MANY chorus pedals. why restrict yourself to just a couple.

Miotch likes this.
  5. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

Which ones have you tried and liked? I just sold a Boss CH-1 and a Neo Clone which were okay but I wanted something better

6. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Too many to list, but every boss pedal up to the ce-5, and that also includes SDD-320 dimension-D rack and the new DC-2w dimension c.
    I have a ce-1 in my 1975 JC-120. you're not going to get a more authentic original chipset than that, unless you go seeking expensive things these days - and yes, it's different to all the others.

I disliked the walrus Julia, and I also decided to buy the lillian phaser as well just to see if I was being level with my criticism (personal taste) to see if it was simply one pedal or if it was more than that.
    I don't use either pedal anymore. Like I said - Personal Taste - and absolutely no reflection on the company or their products. They are well made and quality. Just not my 'thing'.

Analogman Bi-Chorus. I have to admit it is on and off and on again on my pedalboard. Just like the Boss CE-20.

I tried an Earthquaker Pyramids - technically a flanger, but it covers chorus entirely. I didn't gel with it either, swapped it for an interstellar orbiter - and that might be a regret, but sometimes isn't.

Neunaber Expanse - Love it. but fleetingly. Perhaps I need to revisit it.

Strymon Mobius - was the real eye opener for me. It led me to seek the analogman bi-chorus. The love-hate relationship I have with Strymon gear is that it's basically all you need, but not everything you want. Also, the thing about the mobius was only one effect at a time. so couldn't have a loop within the device with two stacked effects. Possibly the only shortcoming of that pedal.

Red Panda Raster - had very good control over everything on the pedal with the knobs especially the blend control as well as waveform switching. But I still went back to the bi-chorus (why?)

Tried a Deep Oggin and couldn't get with the program - suspect it was me. I did not purchase it

Same for MD-200 boss. lovely and compact and modern but I preferred the CE-20 and the DC-2w, and still do.

Curiosity would see me want an Empress Nebulus - simply because I have the echosystem and the Phaser, and pair of Parametric EQ's and their gear is just top quality. While the phaser is on my pedalboard, the echosystem takes a back seat to my EchoFix tape delay and delay is not the subject of this conversation, but relative to the 'brand-mention'.
    IOTW, I love the empress stuff and wouldn't see it as wasted money, even if it didn't get a full-time space on my board (i am fickle)

So, the bi-chorus for me is a staple, as is the CE-20 and the DC-2w which is almost always on. I don't always use my vintage JC-120 because I'm sort of "looking after the vintage stuff" a little better these days, but if for example I want to nail Martha and the muffins echo beach - that is lierally me plugging direct into the front of the JC-120.

It's not like the mobius can't do it, or the AMBC or the CE-20 or anything else - It's just that some pedals really resonate and you get more versatility out of certain pedals than you do others.

Chorus is a subset of my love for modulation and Flanger / phaser and delay are my "thing" if that makes any sense when it comes to pedal preferences. I'm not a drive addict like others. I have amps that get me there instantly and my drive pedals are relatively few compared to modulation.

But also in that context, I am not a one-instrument guy. I play piano moreso than guitar and for me the modulation is the important bit because of that different instrumental training.

I'm exploring a different kind of sound in my guitar playing. it's more synth-like than high gain OD, but I love elements of both.

I'd work out what aspect of the chorus sound it is that you 'need' and find a pedal that sits perfectly in that range - even if it has a limitation in other aspects. for me that would be the almost-always-on DC-2w dimension-C, and the bichorus / ce-20 as the more 'aggressive' variations.

hope that makes some sense?

Voxman likes this.
  7. Roca81

Roca81 Strat-Talker

+1

Stratoskater likes this.
  8. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

I got the Julia ordered, great price and service from Prymaxe.

I'll update when I get it

Jmart1212 likes this.
  9. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

Awesome! Walrus Audio has some pretty interesting pedals.

I borrowed a CE-2w from a friend for a while and I thought it was really nice. Very capable for only having 2 knobs and a switch.

Also, I have built a couple CE-2 clones. (One from a BYOC kit and one just DIY.) Those two pedals have ended my search for the right chorus pedal for me. It's really a great circuit and there is a reason for the hype.

I hope you enjoy the Julia!

The-Kid likes this.
  10. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

I liked the Julia V2 quite a bit and the Lillian too for that matter but I couldn't justify $200 USD for a pedal that I don't even use in any live sets. The Walrus mod pedals lean towards the warbly side of things so if you like that all the better. As far as choruses go it was def my favorite, very lush and warm sounding. And as a bonus the artwork on Walrus pedals is great. I have a crush on that watery minx Julia lol

Tone Deaf likes this.
  11. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

No experience with the BOSS CE-2W or MXR.
    I tried the Walrus Julia II and bought it.
    Good enough for me.

12. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

Got the Julia and it is a great chorus. So many cool sounds, and it doesn't mess up the original guitar tone.
    Sound good before and after dirt too, I can't decide which I prefer. Before dirt, with the lag up high it gets a univibe-ish feel, and with the lag almost a flanger like sound.

But, there is a volume jump, and that may be the deal breaker because it isn't subtle. Ugh!

Tone Deaf likes this.
  13. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Volume Jumps are normal on older BBD style.

That being said the CE2W does not have a volume jump and the Maxon PAC9 chorus has a switch to cut volume by 3DB to make up for the volume jump.

They are based of original designs and two of the most copied chorus tones by everyone everywhere.

If the Juliana does not hit the spot check out either Boss or Maxon for your chorus needs.

14. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

After some time with the Julia, I love this pedal. I used it live for the first time, and in the band context the volume jump wasn't an issue, it blended in nicely. I'm thinking without that it may get lost.

The other guitarist in the band has a CE-2, and that has a volume jump too, but not noticeable when in a band mix, though the chorus effect is. He uses the MXR analog chorus now, he wanted a little less chorus effect, and that pedal has an effect level control.

Anyway, I am quite happy with the Julia after all. It sounded great on the Pretenders song we do, and some of the 80's stuff we do.

Bob the builder and Jesse414 like this.
  15. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

A workaround, that I did, for volume boost on my MXR Flanger was a simple looper with volume control. I was gonna build one, but I just ordered a mini 1590 build from saturnworks. it now sits nicely within the mix.

Voxman likes this.
  16. Middle Earth

Middle Earth Strat-Talker

Both are great. I hope this helps

Voxman likes this.
  17. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-Talker

The original CE2 and Analogman Chorus have been my favorites for years and years.