Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Challenge #215 - The Night

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Thrup'ny Bit, May 18, 2017.

1. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    @Brian H Nice fingerpicking here. The general approach was quite similar to the one I did in my video, as it happens, kind of a Knopflerish sort of thing :D Lovely soaring leads. Sweet take, great whammy skillz as usual.

@knh555 Ah, more Knopflerisms! I enjoyed the Money For Nothing-esque 'clutter' very much. Lovely melodic lines, you're very good at that. I have to say again that the rhythm parts are very nice, I would like to be able to play like that. Your playing is very distinctive and likeable. BTW I'm definitely going to catch up with our collaboration soon, it's just been a very mad few weeks for me...

@mjark That intro was delightful. Great tone. Nice soulful lines, 1:59 was a real beaut. Tell you what, **** gets real at 3:00, you made the shift sound so good. Nice work. Back to SoundCloud, then? P.S. I stuck 6ths in my clean take and in the jam just for you, glad to hear them here as well :)

@Thrup'ny Bit Hey, how come we don't get all the fancy layers and stuff? Really sweet lead guitars that intertwine with each other, I like the way they're positioned in the mix a lot. Great melody too. I must say, I am a trifle disappointed that you aren't actually crooning on this one ;) Great keys. Ah, I really liked this track. I thought the structure and sense of development was pretty cool as well, even if I played old Harry with it :D

Great stuff folks!

Brian H and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  2. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Yamaha Pacifica 611

3. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Well, I've given up since I had that photo taken.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. knh555

knh555 Strat-Talker

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    So go with an unloaded pipe, as a prop. Showmanship!

alainvey likes this.
  6. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    @simoncroft I somehow missed you, sorry. That opening is sweet as, I have to say. Great bluesy tone and feel, wonderful stuff. The bent doublestops are a delight. Whenever I hear you I realise how inadequate my familiarity with the major pentatonic is. I love the ambient slidey echoey stuff going on, adds such a glorious ethereal quality to the whole production. I also very much enjoy your flurries. This was a great take, some of your best work imo.

Brian H, simoncroft and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit If Guinness be the food of life, pour on. Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Fortress Yorkshire
    I thought that it would be more fun to hear what you all made of the basic thing, rather than have a "play along with ol' Thrup" session. As for singing, I haven't done that in a long while, maybe I've forgotten how, or the injunction is still active. :p

knh555 and alainvey like this.
  8. knh555

knh555 Strat-Talker

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Perhaps there are some old samples floating around the interweb. :D Or you could provide one.:whistling:

Thrup'ny Bit and alainvey like this.
  9. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @mjark – JJ Cale would have approved of your take, I think. Laid back in all the right ways. There are some good tunes in there, which is always a nice achievement in a solo. The tremolo works very well too.

@Thrup'ny Bit – Ah. So this is what the artist intended. Very atmospheric and overall, a very well constructed instrumental. You obviously put a lot of work into this because it’s a detailed arrangement and a polished production to boot. Thank you for sharing.

@alainvey – 1. Look out everyone, the man’s gone into Monsters of Rock mode and he really knows how to lay it down! For a couple of hours work, you’ve packed this with great ideas, from the harmony leads, to the effective arpeggios, and superb solos. That ascending chromatic line was bold, but you’ve made it work! 2. Very cool, clean lines, with a definite jazzy edge.

10. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Be careful what you ask of a man playing in his pajamas...

knh555, alainvey and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  11. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Thanks for the comments, Simon. Which chromatic ascending bit do you mean? I can't think of the part...

12. knh555

knh555 Strat-Talker

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    That's b/c you play by the seat of your pants and don't realize how much music theory you're applying. That's why we have Simon around. To tell us. Just nod along and look smart.

alainvey and simoncroft like this.
  13. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I'm putting dinner together now, but I'll reference my comments to specific points in time later (probably a lot later...).

alainvey likes this.
  14. knh555

knh555 Strat-Talker

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Let me know if you want any of the parts separately. Then the royalties will start pouring in, right?! :sneaky:

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  15. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I did one using the bass and drum track too. Kind of silly.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  16. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @mjark – I rather like your stripped-down arrangement. While I’d hesitate to characterize you as a power trio kind of a guy – occasional wah rhythm parts not withstanding – you, bass and drums worked well. The harmony parts at the end were a nice addition.

@alainvey – There’s something chromatic going on just before 2:00, then in a more pronounced way from 3:12. I’m not a theory pedant, so you would probably analyze it differently to me, and I totally accept that. After all, it was your take!

alainvey likes this.
  17. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    Chromatic just means several tones in ascending or descending order. The important thing is where you end up.

18. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Oh right! There is a half step up in the root note there. I go from Bbm7 to B7b13. Notes wise the line at the 2 minute mark is more or less just the B7 superlocrian/altered scale ascending. The 3:20 line goes from a common rock pentatonic figure over the Bbm7 to the same idea shifted up to the B7b13.

So, the lines I play do not feature much chromaticism there.

What is going on with the chromatic root movement has to do with tritone substitution but there I played the chords I heard rather than planning them properly. All I can say is that it has many tones in common with E7#9, which wants to resolve back to the A chord rather seriously!

simoncroft likes this.
  19. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 13, 2015
    cascadia
    well, i really liked the track @Thrup'ny Bit - that was fun - an excellent bookend to where i started here 2 years ago. almost a return to lost provinces... but without a map and all amnesiac like... seriously the first minute is like trying to remember how to ride a bike and the last two are like the bike went over a cliff... oops.

mjark and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  20. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Nice track @Thrup'ny Bit. I have plans with my son this weekend, but I look forward to this one as soon as I can.

alainvey and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  21. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit If Guinness be the food of life, pour on. Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Fortress Yorkshire
    @mjark I think version two is very a nice take and not silly at all. It captures the mood of the thing nicely.

Monte, your last two years have been well spent. I think your bike must have built in sat nav, because you were on the right road all the way through. Well played. :)

montemerrick likes this.