Challenge #287 - Musical Maturity

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Offshore Angler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

this time with no conscious sixths

2. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

badnotes schmadnotes that was great... supa-nice! the edge of despair turmoil and all that ... sometimes i think guitars make things feel worse than they are, but on the other hand it is later than we think so maybe guitars are really saving us... your take makes me think so...

3. Omar

Omar ✪✪ Miserable Old Curmudgeon ✪✪

4. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Senior Stratmaster

Did you go to the mainland? I know some fun spots in Sepang near the airport.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

A very quick take while the Management nip out to the shops...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  6. Omar

You can indeed ;)

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

I couldn't resist. :p

Omar likes this.
  8. Omar

i-Influance :p or is it because the minister of internal affairs is absent? :whistling: lol

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

urquhart.jpg

Omar likes this.
  10. Omar

I'll take it as you disagree but you don't feel like commenting ;)

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  11. Offshore Angler

Well, first off everyone, I thank all of you for sharing your time and talent with this backer. I appreciate all the effort everyone puts into these. This one was a lot of work for the old Offshore Angler, as keeping that acoustic strumming nailed down to the click for four minutes was not the easiest thing to do.

knh555 - I liked the thematic development right out out of the chute. I could tell right away you had a game-plan and wouldn't be just searching for notes. That's what this track was all about.

mjark - You took what I said about George Harrison to heart! You were all over the IV-iv change in his style. Cool melodic approach too. I liked the doubled leads in a 60's kind of way but yeah, the single lets your compositional skills shine brighter. Nice.

Monte - You get it. I put these challenge tracks out and most are designed to move the players from a comfort zone of simple pentatonic soloing to something more. You took my hint, researched and applied theory. Your musical curiosity pays dividends here. Kudos to you and well done, I tip my hat to you.

Roger - Goes all southern rock ballad on us! Serenely slipping in and out of the dorian and throwing a bit of Robben Ford in here and there. A fluid track that's always headed somewhere (Kuala Lumpur maybe?) and stays on the rails the whole time. Nicely played and a pretty nifty mixing job too.

Chippers - An agressive, live sound to the mix. You can feel the super trouper click on when the acoustic guitar takes center stage! Felt like I was there. The creative approach is appreciated.

Raimond - Very lyrical, just what this challenge was all about. Your playing is very well placed in the mix and rides the changes effortlessly. Nicely played!

Brian H. OK, first off - that fretboard is AMAZING. I wanted to reach into my screen and grab it. So, this take has a lot in it. The magic to me was the balance of it. The counter-play of the aggressive tone and the restrained lyrical phrasing is captivating and pulled me right in as a listener. I saw what you did there with the scales - nifty! Cliche' free and fresh from start to finish. Very musically mature! Exactly the whole point of the exercise. Sweet.

Omar - coule of things I really liked here. That woody overdriven tone's human quality, and the way you put that little hesitation on the one beat here and there to remind us that this is person making music, not just going through the motions. That's how the pro's do it.

Nice job everyone!

Thrup'ny Bit, montemerrick and Omar like this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

No, she just got back and I think she can hear us... :confused:

Omar likes this.
  13. Omar

Chuck, I forgot to thank you for an innovative and well produced piece of music.

Thank you so much for the sweet comment and motivation. Hesitation and I are old friends, but not the professional way :D

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  14. Omar

Earplugs...

:D

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  15. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

It took all day to get the boat and sails measured for Worlds yesterday and was surprisingly exhausting. I just needed to play something this morning and this track was perfect, so I made another go at it, this time on my T-60.

Today, all we need to do is weigh my son/crew and myself and we'll be officially measured and good to sail the first race Monday.

16. Offshore Angler

I took swag at it. Used my Heritage, lovely guitar but not the cleanest axe for a ballad in a mix. Rocks onstage though!

See next post!

Raimonds likes this.
  17. Offshore Angler

Hey guys, upon a re-listen I had to go back and re-eq the guitar to make it sound more "live". High gain is always a challenge.

18. roger@pennyflic

[email protected] Senior Stratmaster

In my wifes home town called Ipoh. Its about a 2 1/2 hour train ride from KL

19. roger@pennyflic

[email protected] Senior Stratmaster

Oh goodness. I dont even know what a Dorian scale is. Never mind slipping in and out of it

I base my playing on the Fallopian scale, an ancient Babalonian scale developed during the birth of civilization. (get it, fallopian, birth)

Okay, okay, ive used that gag before, but without a guitar I can only resort to tomfoolery and shinanagins:cool:

jimyjazz likes this.
  20. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I really need to get a grip on the mixing/mastering business. Some things don't turn out at all like I want to.

mjark, Thrup'ny Bit and Omar like this.