Join Strat-Talk Today

Challenge 305

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Chipper, Feb 6, 2019.

1. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Nope. That's my Strat Plus on Sunset at Siesta Key Beach. Not the Les Paul. The other two tunes were done on my THR since I recorded in the evening when the family was around and I had to be quiet.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. Chipper

Chipper Strat-O-Master

I was feeling Mando-y in this dreary weather. It has a perkiness which was fun to mess with. Went through the Katana acoustic setting with in famously good.

3. knh555

I decided to try the blues track on the new amp. It'll be awhile before I really learn how to mic this thing and really capture what I'm hearing in the room. This is the Revstar w/P90s through the 5f2a. What fun!

4. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Morning Folks :)

@Chipper : WAITING FOR THE HORSE : Well it took me a minute to stop laughing at the title.:D:D but I didn't laugh at your take. Sounds like you put in a bit of work here and it shows. Well Done. :thumb:
    CHIMES AT KEVINS DOOR : refer comments for Kevin
    FUNK MANDO SIDE OF FUZZ PLEASE : As I've said before, if it's got strings it's welcome here. I always like the variation you bring with the Mandolin but on this occasion I REALLY liked the dirty guitar. It's a massive sound. Kudos.:thumb:

@knh555 : TRACK A : Sorry Kev. Can't listen to this until I have had a shot at it. Hoping to do that this arvo.
    DOWNER : It's the Revstar on the picture so I am assuming it's the new guitar and listening really carefully. There's some places where it borders on feeding back. I love that. :)
    MELO : Les Paul ? - Lighter than the P90's right ?. But fairly suttle (couldn't find how to spell that word) in it's difference. Nice track dude, "good on ya" (aussie expression)
    DOWNER 2 : What's this, new guitar AND new amp. And on this track there's that feedback I was talkin' 'bout. It's got some grunt hasn't it. :):thumb:
    @Relaxing at Cam : RAINY NIGHT COFFEE : I found this to be particularly difficult so well done giving this one a go. Some good choice of notes in there :thumb:

@dippah : STOLEN LINES : Again, this will have to wait until I have had a go at it. Stay tuned.......

Not many comments this morning, we seem to be down a few players this week and I am still avoiding takes on Kevin's tune so I can have a clean slate. A quick house clean this morning and then I can get a run at it.

5. knh555

Thanks. I can't wait to hear your take. I'm heading over to @Chipper's place tonight to play. We'll be sure to watch for your take. I'm very curious what you'll do with it. We'll be sure to talk smack about you. :p

On the THR, there's no feedback b/c I'm playing silently. Even if I wasn't, the speakers are only 3 inches or so. Do they teach you inches down under? So that "feedback" is what I'd describe as sustained harmonics, which is a really neat aspect to that guitar. It does that better than other guitars I've owned. Though the new amp, I was playing it pretty cranked and pretty damn close to the guitar, so I was trying to prevent feedback the whole damn song. What fun!

roger@pennyflic likes this.
  6. roger@pennyflic

Actually I was pretty knocked out on one take I did (using an ampsim/headphones) where it bordered on feedback. I thought "how clever they have modelled that aspect" but maybe your description is better. Either way, it sounds great. :thumb:

7. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

8. roger@pennyflic

Okay, I've got Kev's done from Bass/Drums without listening to anything else.
    I've tried to layback on it cuz it would be cool if a third party took this up and added their bit to it. It would be a true Strat-Talk Challenge thread toon. So now I can listen to your takes...

Chipper, dippah and Alan L Cole like this.
  9. roger@pennyflic

Challenge305A - Kev's toon....

@Chipper : CHIMES AT KEVINS DOOR : Very pretty Chip. A bell like quality to it. Doesn't sound like a flanger.

@knh55 : SUNSET ON SIESTA KEY BEACH : Oh wow. That's hugely interesting after just completing my take. Especially what you do in the verse. And there's that feedback at 1:41.

@dippah : STOLEN LINES : Subliminal plagurism you think ? There some nice melodies in there and a good sych with Kev's style.

NOTE:- I am seeing if I had got the guitar part along with the bass and drums on Kevins song mine wouldn't have turned out sooooo different. A very useful exercise Strat-Talkers, thank you and I hope to see someone pickup the ball and complete my interpretation. :)

NOT KEV's TOON....

@mjark : VIDEO 131 : That's looking a lot like Cakewalk on the vid. Is it the new Bandcamp release or a prior Sonar version. Regardless, the playing and tone on this one is great. Well done. :thumb:

10. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Photo is my gig rig.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Alan L Cole, Chipper, Omar and 2 others like this.
  11. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

It's Sonar Home Studio 23.9 Build 32 whatever all that means.

12. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

I'll bite. Yours has more space @roger@pennyflic. Not that's its bovine but it's NSW somewhere.

13. roger@pennyflic

Fabulous @mjark:thumb:. I was really hoping we could get the ball rolling and produce a challenge thread corroboration. I'm not gonna comment on this one or any others that pop up as I believe I should allow Kevin the courtesy (well it is his toon). Just to say, I acknowledge the aussie references.... but we needed a split screen mate.. with some Massachusetts/Marryland references also. Perhaps the next contributor. :):)

Chipper likes this.
  14. knh555

That is really cool @roger@pennyflic. I never would've come up with that but might just have to play around with your take as an "enhanced backing".

15. roger@pennyflic

It's a really interesting excercise having just the bass. Your start point is the bass playing the root note but you very quickly learn that it sounds sh!t that way so you look for a chord progression (that sounds good) where each chord has the base note in its makeup. The bass (and the bongos) give the overall feel so your looking for something that fits in. I used your cheat sheet initially but had to transpose it as you used a capo and I just gotta little lost (my bad). There is one single place where the chords don't fit the bass note but it would of sounded odd to alter the progression just to suit that (I'm gonna ask the bass player to change that note:whistling: )

Overall, I really enjoyed the excercise and if the truth be known was a little relieved to have found something that worked. (No pressure) :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Now come on all you Challengers/Jamers, take a swing at this corroboration..:):)

EDIT: Oh yeah, that's the EPI SG both pickups (both split). I've got it for sale but really am having second thoughts. It's really very versatile.

16. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

I'd say he's just the bass player!

17. roger@pennyflic

:eek::eek::eek: :D:D:D :p:p:p

18. dippah

dippah Strat-Talk Member

Thanks! I tend to noodle when I'm not really feeling the track. In some cases, this'll let me discover the melody and maybe I'll end up building something out of it. On the other hand, sometimes, if you're really not feeling the track, noodling is kinda all you can do.

In this case, the melody was obvious and it seemed it didn't need anything complicated. I listened to your take on the track and I can't say it's anything like mine, but I kept recognizing phrases. And at this point I don't even know whether they're phrases I recorded, phrases I tried or it's just my brain supplying the melodic element that I identify in that track. If that makes sense.

Thank you! Re: tone, I started experimenting with re-amping what I play. I dial in a nice tone on the Katana, just so that I have something good to listen to while playing. But as the Katana allows me to record both the dry and the wet signal, I record both, and then I fool around with VST effects to see if I can dial in a tone that works better than Katana's.

In this case, I completely discarded Katana's wet recording, and opted out for a dual "amp" setup of a driven Tweed model on the left channel and a Dual Rectifier model on the right. For some reason, I've always been a sucker for the sound of a Strat into a Boogie, even if it's just a model (albeit a decent one with impulse responses).

I like the dual guitar lines, in your take. I've always liked intertwining guitars that are playing parallel lines that aren't necessarily harmonizing.

Subliminal plagiarism is always an option, and I tend to err on the side of caution whenever a nice melody comes to me too quickly.

On the other hand, I think in this particular track, Kevin's very melodic rhythm playing lends itself to certain melody decisions that I've detected in every take on the track I've listened to, including mine.

Your take on the guitar-less version is further proof, because it sounds completely different, and I'm hearing a very different melody there. If time permits, I might have a go on that one, too.

Overall, I really like this experiment, because in some way, it's even more interesting to hear different takes done by different people on a track that guides you into melodic patterns a bit more than your run-of-the-mill backing track.

19. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Lunatic Lord of the Curmudgeon Islands Strat-Talk Supporter

Why are all the backing tracks recorded so darned loud?

Omar likes this.
  20. knh555

B/c we don't know what we're doing.

Omar and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.