Changing guitars and things that make a difference

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by budglo, Jul 17, 2021.

1. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

Fret hand, picking hand, or both? If it is just your fret hand you can probably have all your guitar nuts cut to the string spacing that you prefer. You probably won’t even notice the differences in nut widths.

2. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

Scale length is the only thing that has ever bothered me. Since I dumped Gibson a few years ago, I no longer even think about it. My hands go where they belong without a thought on all of my Fedners. Been like that my whole life, my Gibsons were always a half song to a song and a half adjustment time.

rct

SKYDOG4570 and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Yep. Same here. If you picked up all of my guitars back to back you’d not be able to say I liked any specific neck type other than it has to be at least a guitar neck. No problem adjusting here.

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I have 42, 43, 47, 50, and 52 mm nuts. Changing from those to a different one doesn’t bother me. But string spacing at the bridge does when it is the difference between vintage string spacing versus modern on a strat. I prefer the wider ones.

SKYDOG4570 and JB74 like this.
  5. SKYDOG4570

SKYDOG4570 Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

I actually like to switch it up on a limited number of profiles and radius cuts including a bunch of the compound radiuses.

I don't fair well with 7.25r
    Baseball bat profiles or scales other than 25.5
    I dislike jumbo fret wire
    So with that said I guess I have become fairly picky, but can manage slightly larger nut sizes and deep roll over on the shoulders. I can pick a guitar up and in less than 30 seconds tell if I would enjoy playing it. About 30 minutes and I can tell if I would want to add it to my collection.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

My fleet of guitars and basses is much the same as yours and while I can't honestly say that I can point to a single thing that causes an issue when switching from one to another I do sense the differences that I'm adapting to and it can take a little time to do it and get reacquainted with what I'm holding onto vs what I just put down.

3bolt79 and Namelyguitar like this.
  7. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Strat-O-Master

The only thing that's ever bothered me is a scalloped neck.
    Felt weird but that's probably because I only gave it about five minutes at a GC.
    I don't think I'll ever buy one but if I was given one...

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Acoustic ( Taylor ) vs any of my electrics - the change feels awkward.
    My PRS is a 25” scale and 10” radius - so very much like my 2 Strats ( 25 1/2” and 9.5” )
    Never had a problem going back and forth from my Strats to my Lester.

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Scale length don't bother me
    String spacing don't bother me
    Neck profile is a BIG thing for me.
    I like c, slim c, modern C.
    Small guy, little girl hands... that's about it

3bolt79 and Vermoulian like this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Buy a mandolin...

3bolt79 and Bob the builder like this.
  11. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

The main thing I notice is that palm muting is a bit more difficult on my f-spaced guitars, especially from the D string down. Try, say, the opening riff to "Welcome to the Jungle" on a standard Strat or Tele compared to a Gibson style guitar, the latter not only sounds right but also feels much more amenable to what's required.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I got enough problems with 6 strings..you really wanna f with me with 8 huh?

nomadh, 3bolt79 and elduderinoTF like this.
  13. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

You never worry about narrow string spacing on guitar again.

nomadh, 3bolt79 and Bob the builder like this.
  14. budglo

budglo Strat-Talker

Im never bothered by the differences in my fretting hand , but I sense the difference with my picking hand . All the other differences I’m not even aware of .

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Neck thickness can momentarily trip me up on very thin necks, mainly because I have a double-jointed thumb and thin necks cause my hand to cramp more quickly on barre chords.

The other thing is string spacing, especially vintage spacing when the high E is too close to the fretboard edge - on my own guitars I put a lot of work into adjusting that to make them more playable, but an off-the-shelf model can often force me to adjust my vibrato and bending techniques.

I also prefer medium to jumbo fret sizes - again, vibrato and bends are easier - but I can usually adjust within the first few seconds of playing.

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. Mr Jagsquire

Mr Jagsquire Strat-Talker

I deliberately made my second Strat to different specs to the first one as I've found the change is as good as a rest for my hands: Some problems I was having with pain in my left (fretting) hand have stopped now that I make a point of regularly swapping between different guitars.

I think the neck profile/thickness has helped me the most, but I have a mix of 7.25", 9.5" and 12" radius fingerboards. Not to mention some variation in the nut width too, but that doesn't seem to bother me too much either way. Scale length can take a short while to settle into a change perhaps going from a 24" Jaguar to a 25.5" Strat, but there is also change from SG to Les Paul due to the way the neck seems offset on the SG, so I tend to play a couple of frets out if I'm not careful when I first swap.

I think it's a good thing to get used to change; Imagine if I'm playing a gig and something happens to my guitar and I need to use a different one at short notice, or even some one else's guitar. I'd be OK with that I think, though not ideal...at least the show would go on. :)

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. budglo

budglo Strat-Talker

I am pretty comfortable with most things that are different . I don’t really struggle changing to my SG like some do . I think the more i play a guitar , the easier it becomes switching . It appears once I understand what the differences are , it makes the transition easier . I have 2 Martins . A newer D18 with a wider nut and a 72 D35 . It took me quite some time to go between the 2 with no problem. Especially fingerpicking. What I needed to do was just sit down with the D18 until it started to feel comfortable . Now I don’t struggle at all. I’m guilty of not playing a guitar frequently enough sometimes to really get familiar with it . I have only had the Player strat for less than a year and I’ll admit I haven’t played it enough . I’ve just start playing live , so it sat hardly played for much of the time. I gigged it over the weekend and it was fine .

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Senior Stratmaster

I’m switching between a 7.25 Fender and 12" Gibson right now. Need a just few chords to adjust.

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Strat-Talk Member

I can adjust to just about about anything but the neck on a CV tele. Long scale bass, Gibson scale, etc. No clue what it was about that neck. Caused my fingers to fumble. Sucks. I ended up selling it because of that. Otherwise great value.

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. gogaterz

gogaterz Strat-Talk Member

Radius matters to me. I'm good on 7.25 to 12, but above that I don't like the feel and that modifies my playing. I also prefer a 25.5" Strat scale to a 24.75" Les Paul scale. I think the LP scale is easier to play, but I can't get the subtle variations like I can get on the Strat scale. Plus a half-step tuned down on a LP ,makes the strings way to slinky for me.

3bolt79 likes this.